Bardstown 29 Spencer County 13

Jim Schue

Whoa. Didn't see that one coming.

Yeah, that really surprised me. I thought Spencer wouldn't be near as good as last year, and I suspected Bardstown would be better and they'd meet in the middle for an exciting, close game. That didn't happen. Tigers controlled the whole game.

The Tigers have some killer athletes this year. They can run it and they can throw it. Coach Clark won the toss and elected to take the ball instead of defer, and threw a long go route for a TD on the first play of the game. That is the type of mentality there is. However, still pretty soft up up-the-middle defense and 180 yards in penalties. Dropped a lot of passes, including 2 gimme TD passes. Still, when you can beat a top 10 4A team by 2 TD's that beat you by 5 TD's last season overcoming 180 yards in penalties, things are looking pretty positive. I know the coaching staff wanted this one bad.

The Tigers have some killer athletes this year. They can run it and they can throw it. Coach Clark won the toss and elected to take the ball instead of defer, and threw a long go route for a TD on the first play of the game. That is the type of mentality there is. However, still pretty soft up up-the-middle defense and 180 yards in penalties. Dropped a lot of passes, including 2 gimme TD passes. Still, when you can beat a top 10 4A team by 2 TD's that beat you by 5 TD's last season overcoming 180 yards in penalties, things are looking pretty positive. I know the coaching staff wanted this one bad.

The penalties were disappointing on both sides of the field, and really stretched out a game that was basically over at 29-7. A lot of jawing going on between the teams. I would anticipate cleaning that up to be a focus of practice by Coach Clark this week.

The penalties were disappointing on both sides of the field, and really stretched out a game that was basically over at 29-7. A lot of jawing going on between the teams. I would anticipate cleaning that up to be a focus of practice by Coach Clark this week.

I dunno, man. He may clean up the false starts/neutral zone infractions, but I think the message this year is to play angry. A certain freshman reported to be that the air was tense from the moment he walked into the locker room to dress to the moment they took the field. Aggression, physicality and intimidation may be a feature of this team.

I dunno, man. He may clean up the false starts/neutral zone infractions, but I think the message this year is to play angry. A certain freshman reported to be that the air was tense from the moment he walked into the locker room to dress to the moment they took the field. Aggression, physicality and intimidation may be a feature of this team.

Interesting.