MLB Pipeline updated prospect rankings

MLB Pipeline updated prospect rankings | redsminorleagues.com

MLB Pipeline, the official Major League Baseball prospect coverage site, has updated their “midseason” rankings. They’ve updated their Top 100 Prospect List, as well as the individual team Top 30 lists.

First, let’s take a look at how the Cincinnati Reds stack up within the Top 100. Leading the way for the organization is third baseman Nick Senzel, who comes in at #56 on the list. While the ranking itself isn’t bad, the fact that he’s behind five other guys from this past draft seems just as interesting as where he’s ranked.

Left handed pitcher Amir Garrett is the next Red on the list and he’s directly behind Senzel, coming in at #57 overall. Two spots further down the list is the third Reds prospect to crack the list. At #59 it’s where we see Cody Reed show up. We don’t have to go too far to see the next Cincinnati minor leaguer as Jesse Winker comes in at #66. The last Reds prospect to make the list comes in a few spots later as Robert Stephenson finds himself at #70 on the list.

With five prospects in the Top 70 the Cincinnati Reds have a good showing of talent in the Top 100 list, though lacking anyone in the Top 50 does damper that some. Of course not all lists are the same and we’ve seen the Reds do a little better on other lists that have been released this summer.

Next we can look at the Cincinnati Reds Top 30 list. That’s where things start to get rather interesting. After the top five of Senzel, Garrett, Reed, Winker and Stephenson we see Cuban shortstop Alfredo Rodriguez. That’s an aggressive spot for my taste given the enormous questions about his bat and lack of any professional track record to look at.

While there are some interesting placements on the list, the one that jumps out the most to me is seeing Aristides Aquino ranked 21st. Now, I had Aquino ranked 17th on my list when I updated things midseason. Of course it was over a month ago when I finalized my list and the day it was finalized, Aquino was hitting .262/.322/.442. For the Florida State League that’s still above-average, no doubt. But as we sit today, when this list has been released he’s hitting .283/.337/.516. In the time since my list was finalized, and today, he’s hit .337/.370/.713 – absolutely obliterating the league for a month running. If I were to redo my rankings today, he’d be much, much higher than he was just a month ago. Yet here, he’s still ranked lower than where I had him before he went on an incredible run of performance. It’s a really strange ranking.

Saw this earlier. I don't necessarily disagree with where they have the Reds guys.

Thought Senzel and Garrett would both be a bit higher, but that's about it.

I don't think there's really anything to make of Senzel's ranking compared to other 2016 picks. Those ahead of him have higher ceilings. The big plus for him is his floor is probably the highest of anyone in the draft class.

Saw this earlier. I don't necessarily disagree with where they have the Reds guys.

Thought Senzel and Garrett would both be a bit higher, but that's about it.

I don't think there's really anything to make of Senzel's ranking compared to other 2016 picks. Those ahead of him have higher ceilings. The big plus for him is his floor is probably the highest of anyone in the draft class.

It's so early to rank those guys. I'm just happy he's raking so far.

I didn't click on the link but I expected Jose Peraza to be on the list. Is he not?

Not eligible. Criteria states that you must have fewer than 45 days of service time (excluding September 1st and later), or less than 130 ABs or 50 IP. If you hit any of those benchmarks, you're no longer considered a prospect. He hit the 45 days of service a couple weeks ago.

Not eligible. Criteria states that you must have fewer than 45 days of service time (excluding September 1st and later), or less than 130 ABs or 50 IP. If you hit any of those benchmarks, you're no longer considered a prospect. He hit the 45 days of service a couple weeks ago.

Gotcha, that makes sense.