Need a referee's help: Stopping the Clock

MOJO

I don't know, for some reason in the back of my mind somewhere not sure on what level, I was thinking this occurred at a game I attended and the refs ruled it as a fumble.

You can only spike from the under center position not from shotgun. I am not going to state the referee blew it because i didn't see the play. The quarterback might of turned backwards and spiked it from the shotgun and they thought it was a backward pass that is free to pick up.

It happened in the 1994 Apple Bowl, when Paintsville was driving and close to the endzone and the QB spiked the ball. Was ruled a penalty - I think they called it grounding, actually - and Paintsville ended up missing what would've been the game-winning field goal. That may be the game you're thinking of.

It happened in the 1994 Apple Bowl, when Paintsville was driving and close to the endzone and the QB spiked the ball. Was ruled a penalty - I think they called it grounding, actually - and Paintsville ended up missing what would've been the game-winning field goal. That may be the game you're thinking of.

You're probably right, I knew I'd seen that call somewhere in a game but wasn't sure where. Thanks for the refresher BE. I'm going to gamble a bit and say final score 8-6 JC?

You're probably right, I knew I'd seen that call somewhere in a game but wasn't sure where. Thanks for the refresher BE. I'm going to gamble a bit and say final score 8-6 JC?

That's absolutely the correct score. One of the better games I ever saw.