Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do all college coaches have a gentlemen's agreement …

Featured Replies

I have no idea, but I bet it has to do with some type of analytics. The overall percentage a D-1 team shoots is around 44%. The average 2 pt is higher around 49%, therefore, 3 point is 35%. The odds are with you to play tough "D" and take your chances. Time is your ally when ahead. I am sure they go deeper than this, also, such as a team's percentage late in a game when legs are tired, etc. My guess is it would be lower.

 

I believe college coaches at the D-1 level know what they are doing and practice these situational things all the time. Now the players, you never know what they will do even if you coach them up and they practice these situations. If almost every coach does it, there is a very good reason.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no idea, but I bet it has to do with some type of analytics. The overall percentage a D-1 team shoots is around 44%. The average 2 pt is higher around 49%, therefore, 3 point is 35%. The odds are with you to play tough "D" and take your chances. Time is your ally when ahead. I am sure they go deeper than this, also, such as a team's percentage late in a game when legs are tired, etc. My guess is it would be lower.

 

I believe college coaches at the D-1 level know what they are doing and practice these situational things all the time. Now the players, you never know what they will do even if you coach them up and they practice these situations. If almost every coach does it, there is a very good reason.

 

I had a few of these thoughts, but you stated them WAY better than I could.

But in the NBA it is done quite a bit and the announcers even make comments about it.

But in the NBA it is done quite a bit and the announcers even make comments about it.

 

In the NBA you have more mature players who have a better likelyhood of executing it correctly. In college, they would probably rush the shot and/or screw it up.

In the NBA you have more mature players who have a better likelyhood of executing it correctly. In college, they would probably rush the shot and/or screw it up.

 

If it is taught in practice then it could be executed in a game.

… to never go 2-for-1 in late-half and late-game situations? I can't tell you how often I see college coaches ignore the 2-for-1 concept when it could clearly help their team. Georgia Tech today is the latest example.

 

Or are they just too stupid to figure it out?

 

Too stupid IMO. It's such a simple concept.

In the NBA there are 3 guaranteed opportunities (1st, 2nd, 3rd quarter ends) and in Mens College B-ball there is only 1 (halftime). Believe it or not but you do see it more now in the Womens game since they are now quarters.

The thing that bothers me the most is that teams wait until there's 2 or 3 seconds to shoot, leaving no time for a rebound and a possible put-back. I understand you don't want to leave the other team with 10+ seconds left to go the other way, but, I'd rather give myself an opportunity for a second chance and face the possibility of playing full court defense for 3 or 4 seconds...rather than put my eggs all in one basket with the very last shot.

  • Author
In the NBA there are 3 guaranteed opportunities (1st, 2nd, 3rd quarter ends) and in Mens College B-ball there is only 1 (halftime). Believe it or not but you do see it more now in the Womens game since they are now quarters.

 

How is end-of-game not a 2nd oppo?

  • Author
In the NBA you have more mature players who have a better likelyhood of executing it correctly. In college, they would probably rush the shot and/or screw it up.

 

These guys aren't in HS — they all think they're 1 year away from the big NBA payday. College coaches should prepare them for their career (I keep hearing that from UK fans about how Cal operates his business). It's not a difficult concept.

End of the game is not always an opportunity because if I am ahead by 4 and have the ball with 40 seconds left I am going to use the whole shot clock if you let me.

 

Or if I am behind 1 a rushed shot with 40 seconds left to get a potential 2 for 1 is not something I am looking for. I want a good shot that puts me ahead not one I am more likely to miss.

IMO you get the ball down court as fast as you can and run a set play, or a screen or two, to try and get a good early look. If you get it, take it. If not run as much clock as you can.

 

The thing that gets me is they just take the ball down slowly and run the clock never looking for the scoring opportunity.

IMO you get the ball down court as fast as you can and run a set play, or a screen or two, to try and get a good early look. If you get it, take it. If not run as much clock as you can.

 

The thing that gets me is they just take the ball down slowly and run the clock never looking for the scoring opportunity.

 

This

At the end of the first half, not that big of a deal. In fact I would almost argue I would rather get the best shot versus a fast shot. At the end of the game, heck yes you better do the 2 for 1 if the situation calls for it.

I always wondered if two crappy shots are better than one good shot.

 

This is what I've always thought. College coaches want to play out the possession to try and get the optimum look at the basket. What works in the NBA doesn't work in college because college players can't make shots.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.