January 23, 201610 yr I have never heard of potato candy. I had never heard of transparent pie until BGP. What about Benedictine?
January 23, 201610 yr Here's a recipe for burgoo... Kentucky Burgoo This is my grandma's recipe. It makes a BIG pot. Probably serves 10 or so. She always said meats were variable....but that you HAVE to have at least 3 different kinds of meat, seeing as it's traditionally a hunter's stew. (1) pound chuck roast, cubed (4) chicken legs (1) dressed rabbit* (1) pound pork loin, cubed* (1) pound ground beef* (1) 28 oz can crushed potatoes (1) 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes (1/3) cup bourbon (2/3) cup marsala wine (1) 12 oz beer (2) cups cubed potatoes (2) cups carrots, chopped (1) cup celery, chopped (1) cup onion, diced (1) cup okra, chopped (1) cup peas (1) cup baby lima beans (1) cup corn (3) cloves of garlic (3) Tbsp olive oil (1) quart beef broth (1/4) cup Worcestershire sauce (1/4) cup white vinegar (2) tsp salt (2) tsp black pepper (2) tsp dried thyme (2) tsp rubbed sage (1/2) bunch fresh parsley De-bone all of the meat and cut into stew-sized pieces. Place in a large pot with the olive oil, and add in the salt, pepper, thyme, sage and garlic. Brown all of the meat, and then add all remaining ingredients. Allow to simmer for at least 4 hours on low. 8 hours of simmering is ideal. *Can substitute squirrel, ground venison, veal, lamb, or turkey legs/thighs.
January 23, 201610 yr A few come to mind. Fried dried apple pies Stack Cake Molasses cookies. Popcorn balls wilted lettuce
January 23, 201610 yr What in the heavens is burgoo? What is burgoo? Really? Are you actually from KY?
January 23, 201610 yr Speaking of Maysville, transparent pie is another very 'Kentucky' kind of thing. Apart from a few homemade recipes, I've never seen it sold anywhere outside of Maysville. True story. When my son got married on Whidbey Island (Washington State), he requested that transparent tarts from Magees bakery be brought for the rehearsal dinner. The cost to ship with dry ice was about $150, so we took them in a carryon. They drew the attention of the person scanning the baggage. I guess a bunch of round tin tart holders looked suspicious when x-rayed.
January 23, 201610 yr A few come to mind. Fried dried apple pies Stack Cake Molasses cookies. Popcorn balls wilted lettuce I still want to dine at your house!
January 23, 201610 yr Potato Candy is a good one too, but you can get it in other areas. Older folks would feel connected to it though. Had to google potato candy. Description says it is traditional Philladelphia confection. So it would not work for the sermon.
January 23, 201610 yr What is potato candy? Never heard of it until this thread... Probably not the right guy to answer this, my wife makes it, I just eat it. I know she boils some cut up potatoes, rolls them out, puts confectionary sugar with it, puts peanut butter in the middle and puts in the fridge to get solid, I took a box of them to work at Christmas and they didn't last very long. Hope that helps and I'm close to how it is made.
January 23, 201610 yr Had to google potato candy. Description says it is traditional Philladelphia confection. So it would not work for the sermon. Maybe Bourbon Balls, while they are consumed in other states...they all start right here. But that may not work for the sermon
January 23, 201610 yr Author What is burgoo? Really? Are you actually from KY? We didn't have burgoo in Bellevue.
January 23, 201610 yr We didn't have burgoo in Bellevue. I thought everyone in KY knew what burgoo was...we have the burgoo festival here in Lawrenceburg. Its definitely a KY thing though I grew up with something similiar in NC called brunswick stew
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.