Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Potato Candy

Featured Replies

Count me as another Kentuckian who has never heard of potato candy.

  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably not the right guy to answer this, my wife makes it, I just eat it. I know she boils some cut up potatoes, rolls them out, puts confectionary sugar with it, puts peanut butter in the middle and puts in the fridge to get solid, I took a box of them to work at Christmas and they didn't last very long. Hope that helps and I'm close to how it is made.

 

This is it. Some call it peanut butter roll.

Never heard of potato candy

Same. But I'm not from around here.

How about Cream Candy? First time I had that was in Kentucy made by a Kentuckian.

How about Cream Candy? First time I had that was in Kentucy made by a Kentuckian.

 

That is a good one, I forgot about it. My grandmother and I used to make it each winter.

How about Cream Candy? First time I had that was in Kentucy made by a Kentuckian.

 

Always use a marble surface.

PP1, I would use Hot Brown or Burgoo. They both are connected to Kentucky on a national level.

 

...and I have never heard of potato candy and I've lived in Kentucky for 61 years. Cream candy is awesome.

Speaking of Maysville, transparent pie is another very 'Kentucky' kind of thing. Apart from a few homemade recipes, I've never seen it sold anywhere outside of Maysville.

 

this.

Well I have eaten potato candy. I asked my wife if she had heard of it and she said your granny made it every Christmas before she passed. Once she explained to me what it was, I do remember, however, I did not know it was called potato candy.

 

I just thought it was some type of divinity or something or that swirly candy. It was good, though.

 

It kinda looks like a cinnamon roll before you bake them.

 

MashedPotato-Candy2.jpg

Keeneland's burgoo is fantastic, and used to be my favorite. But I've become a big fan of The Talbott Tavern's burgoo (Bardstown). This is not just a hometown homer thing, because I will still preach to the high heavens about how good Keeneland's is. But the Tavern's is just a little different in a good way. There's a little more burgundy in it, and a lot more spice. Love 'em both.

A few come to mind.

Fried dried apple pies

Stack Cake

Molasses cookies.

Popcorn balls

 

wilted lettuce

 

My mom (she grew up on a pig farm in Iowa, so some recipes might be different) makes 3 of these, as far as I know.

 

She only makes molasses cookies at Christmastime, and they're my favorite. Incredibly good.

 

She doesn't make popcorn balls, per se, but she does carmel popcorn. Back when we were kids, the special visitors at Halloween got a bag of carmel popcorn and a pumpkin cookie. Everybody else got a candy bar.

 

Wilted lettuce is freakin' gross. Personal taste thing. Always stank the whole house up whenever she made it.

Edited by Jim Schue

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.