Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Potato Candy

Featured Replies

Is this strictly a Kentucky thing? I am looking for a good analogy for my sermon tomorrow. I need a candy/food/dessert (non alcoholic) that we only have in Kentucky. Something that elderly people that have lived here there entire life can remember and relate to.

  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't recall every seeing bbq mutton or burgoo outside of KY.

  • Author
I can't recall every seeing bbq mutton or burgoo outside of KY.

 

What in the heavens is burgoo?

Goetta?

What in the heavens is burgoo?

 

You need to go to Keenland

  • Author

Goetta is more cincinnati I thought. Maybe derby pie or a hot brown. I would have said Ale 8 but I see those in other states now.

Peanutbutter and syrup sandwiches, maybe? I remember mentioning these in Indiana and people looked at me like I had lost my mind.

What in the heavens is burgoo?

 

The best way I can describe it is a bbq vegetable soup. Typically has mutton, chicken, beef, corn, okra, etc. It can be a little spicy.

What in the heavens is burgoo?

 

Heaven.

Potato Candy is a good one too, but you can get it in other areas. Older folks would feel connected to it though.

Goetta is more cincinnati I thought. Maybe derby pie or a hot brown. I would have said Ale 8 but I see those in other states now.

 

Wasn't sure how far south in the state you were. For sure a Cincy area thing. Ky Hot Brown might be a good option.

 

Never heard of potato candy

Wasn't sure how far south in the state you were. For sure a Cincy area thing. Ky Hot Brown might be a good option.

 

Never heard of potato candy

 

How is that possible?

Peanutbutter and syrup sandwiches, maybe? I remember mentioning these in Indiana and people looked at me like I had lost my mind.

 

There's a person in Maysville doing the same thing right now.

What in the heavens is burgoo?

 

Traditionally it's a hunters stew. It utilized more than one type of meat...often times whatever game meat was available to hunt. Most restaurants use a combination of beef, por, and/or chicken. Keeneland has some REALLY good burgoo if you've ever been.

 

I've posted my burgoo recipe somewhere on here in the past...I'll see if I can find it to give you a better idea. It's a very traditional 'Kentucky' thing, for what it's worth.

There's a person in Maysville doing the same thing right now.

 

Speaking of Maysville, transparent pie is another very 'Kentucky' kind of thing. Apart from a few homemade recipes, I've never seen it sold anywhere outside of Maysville.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.