January 11, 201610 yr I likewise anticipated a discussion of climate change and such when I saw the thread title. I did not expect an omnibus post inviting discussion of sundry topics, some important and some not.
January 11, 201610 yr Author I likewise anticipated a discussion of climate change and such when I saw the thread title. I did not expect an omnibus post inviting discussion of sundry topics, some important and some not. Your anticipation went unfounded. But feel free to start a thread about climate change.
January 11, 201610 yr In my opinion, we (America) stick our nose in too many things that do not directly affect us. Yes, ISIS has become a world wide issue, but we need only address the things that concern our country. Everyone else is on their own. As for the refugees, our process needs to be improved and strengthened before I would every feel comfortable with refugees from that region coming to our country. How do we make it better? I'm not sure... Non-issue, in my opinion, as it doesn't affect anyone's life except Jenner's. This is quite concerning. We will never get to where we could as a country with both sides being stubborn. I'm not sure there will ever be a "perfect" solution in terms of political issues, but I am confident the "right" answer lies in the middle. Without compromise, we will never grow or move forward. This is one of those subjects that I don't think is any of our business. If North Korea Bullies South Korea, oh well. That's not our problem. Keep our nose out of it. Protests are our right as American citizens, and we should continue to be allowed to protest what we feel the need to. There are going to be protests we agree with, and those we don't. The issue is when those protests turn violent. We have to establish a zero-tolerance type policy for protesting and enforce it EVERY time, regardless of the group doing the protesting. As insensitive as it may sound, there are always going to be crazy people in the world that are going to snap and shoot up a building. It's my opinion that no amount of guns or gun control is going to stop these from happening. Sure if more people are carrying it may reduce the number of deaths in some of these cases, but there's no way to know for sure. Our current crop of potential leaders is concerning. The bigger issue is that you can't take what ANY of these people say with much weight, because most of them don't do what they say, or they do something so drastically different that their campaign promises hold zero merit. I don't think there is a solution for that. Border control is a definite issue, along with illegal immigrants. I am all border reinforcements and making it more difficult to get into the country. Anyone here illegally that commits a crime should immediately be deported and never allowed entrance again. For those that want to apply for citizenship and do it the right way, let them. Your post does bring up the issue of staying out of other country's businesses. And while that sounds great in theory, in what (if any) instance do we get involved? Financial interests? Humanitarian and blatant human right violations? I always find that to be an interesting topic of conversation. I sway with the issue, but ultimately I feel we can't sit on our hands; but, it can't be at our own expense -- which is virtually impossible. The US has ultimately dug such a hole with providing aid that to go full on Switzerland is unrealistic.
January 11, 201610 yr I likewise anticipated a discussion of climate change and such when I saw the thread title. I did not expect an omnibus post inviting discussion of sundry topics, some important and some not. Your anticipation went unfounded. But feel free to start a thread about climate change. Not stoking the fire, but I too thought it was about climate change or environmental things when I saw the thread title.
January 11, 201610 yr Countries that will survive climate change infographic - Business Insider Here we go. Good to know the good ole USA is the 8th most likely to survive climate change.
January 12, 201610 yr Author Not stoking the fire, but I too thought it was about climate change or environmental things when I saw the thread title. I understand. Like I said it was late when I had this great firestorm of a brainstorm( really just brain dead from lack of sleep and a glutton for punishment for posting such a thread, which I did consider the couple of morality issues I included) so I could not come up with a thread that contained all the problems we have on planet Earth. I did however tell some poster( Im tired and cant remember who) that anyone could add any significant problems we face in todays world. Twotoplace was jabbing at me so I jabbed back that he was welcome to start his own thought provoking thread other than just down mine.
January 12, 201610 yr Sorry to keep it simplistic, but if I wake up and look out the window and see that Planet Earth is still there and then I check the newspaper and I don't see my name in the obituaries, I'm betting it's going to be a good day.
January 12, 201610 yr Author I understand the worries about diminishing morality in society. However, I'm not sure I equate Gay Rights with diminishing morals. As a society we are facing many issues within our communities....to say that LGBT movement is the biggest one we face, seems like a bit of a stretch. Is it really a problem that they want to be treated equally?? Never said one time it was the biggest issue we face. All people should be treated equally, Black, White, Green, Gay, Straight etc. Being treated equally has nothing to do with whether I am moral or immoral. Once upon a time, I would tell you I was a very immoral person. I did things that might make you really cringe. But I still deserved to be treated fairly and with respect. I was a heathen. My immorality never changed my right to be treated fairly and the same as everyone else.
January 12, 201610 yr . My immorality never changed my right to be treated fairly and the same as everyone else. How wonderful for you to claim the "right" that you deny others. If you truly wanted to treat gay people the "same as everyone else" you would realize that they are the same as everyone else. When you equate your immoral acts to their sexual preference, you are not treating them fairly, or the same as everyone else. Shame on you.
January 12, 201610 yr Author How wonderful for you to claim the "right" that you deny others. If you truly wanted to treat gay people the "same as everyone else" you would realize that they are the same as everyone else. When you equate your immoral acts to their sexual preference, you are not treating them fairly, or the same as everyone else. Shame on you. I do not deny anyone a right. I call it as I see it based on what I believe, not what you would like me to believe. You nor anyone else will ever get me to back up on what I think. So shame all you want. That wont work with me. You can call me whatever you wish.
January 12, 201610 yr Never said one time it was the biggest issue we face. All people should be treated equally, Black, White, Green, Gay, Straight etc. Being treated equally has nothing to do with whether I am moral or immoral. Once upon a time, I would tell you I was a very immoral person. I did things that might make you really cringe. But I still deserved to be treated fairly and with respect. I was a heathen. My immorality never changed my right to be treated fairly and the same as everyone else. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand. On one hand, you say everybody should be treated equally. On the other, you mention Caitlyn Jenner and the entire LGBT movement in the same breath as ISIS, mass shootings and illegal immigration (to name a few) as an issue that needs to be "fixed". Whats your solution to fix all this and where do we start? How do you treat them equally if you think they need fixing??
January 12, 201610 yr Author I listed the morality issues as a state of how things were in todays world. I maybe should have made myself more clear. I do not think you, me or anyone will fix the morality issues(Only God can do that). I think they are a sign of how far we have fallen as a nation as to what we accept( yes in todays politically correct world that sounds bad). The other things are what I was getting at fixing, the issues with Guns, terrorists etc. But I did consider what I posted before I posted it.
January 12, 201610 yr I do not deny anyone a right. I call it as I see it based on what I believe, not what you would like me to believe. You nor anyone else will ever get me to back up on what I think. So shame all you want. That wont work with me. You can call me whatever you wish. Ok. And if we can't get you to reconsider this, can you at least do us a favor and quit pretending to "treat everyone equally." You can be closed-minded without also being dishonest about it. Edited January 12, 201610 yr by mcpapa R2
January 12, 201610 yr Author Ok. And if we can't get you to reconsider this, can you at least do us a favor and quit pretending to "treat everyone equally." You can be closed-minded without also being dishonest about it. Like I said you can say whatever you want.I will lose not one bit of sleep over what you think. I treat everyone the same. I have gay friends. They know what I think and why I think that and they respect why I do. They all know I do not want anyone to be mistreated.I have stood up for them for being mistreated. Its just I answer to a different piper than you do is where our differences occur. Edited January 12, 201610 yr by mcpapa
January 12, 201610 yr Lol. yeah, you have gay friends who respect your beliefs. And I ride a dinosaur to work.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.