August 9, 200620 yr Homer Bailey update. Homer's pitching line last night. It looks like Bailey struggled with his control last night. 5.1 Innings 1 hit, 5 BB, 5 K's 1 ER
August 9, 200620 yr Homer Bailey update. Homer's pitching line last night. It looks like Bailey struggled with his control last night. 5.1 Innings 1 hit, 5 BB, 5 K's 1 ER Even if he did, he must have been wildly effective. 1 hit thats pretty strong. Nice comeback after his last outing. This just shows he still needs more time people.
August 9, 200620 yr That 1st game was the most important of the year and they tanked. A team heading to the playoffs wins that game and sets a tone for the rest of the series, and the season. St Louis goes back to the hotel last night knowing they have the division wrapped up. Did St. Louis go back to the hotel last night knowing the Reds were going to win the division?????????????????
August 9, 200620 yr A. I hope Tony is getting killed in St. Louis today for walking an unproven young player for a 40 homer / 100 rbi man who hits 50 points higher against lefties. Let's hope coming through there (and the 2-out ribbie earlier) will re-ignite Dunn. That intentional walk better have ticked him off. B. Scott Rolen is a class guy. To step out and let Freel soak up the standing ovation when his team is robbed of a couple of runs is a good move. I have always liked Rolen and that cemented it right there. C. How bad is Marquis going? The Cards are actually thinking of putting Mulder (when he returns from the DL) back in the rotaion in Jason's spot -- not Weaver's. Ouch. D. Umm, Kearns doesn't make that catch. E. Aurilia is starting to swing the bat after his mini-funk. "The Baseball Guy" is going to have a tough time finding AB's for E-5, Rich, BP, and Hatte. Someone has to sit every night. To be honest, I'd play Hatte nearly every day, same for BP, but then that really limits Rich and Eddie. F. I have never been the biggest Freel fan in the world, and still don't think he'll avoid the DL down the stretch if asked to play every day, but last night was about as good a game as I've seen a guy have. Hats off Ryan.
August 9, 200620 yr Show of hands. Who expected Milton over .500 in August... Not me and I've been critical of Milton....still not convinced, he can be consistent. ....B. Scott Rolen is a class guy. To step out and let Freel soak up the standing ovation when his team is robbed of a couple of runs is a good move. I have always liked Rolen and that cemented it right there. ....F. I have never been the biggest Freel fan in the world, and still don't think he'll avoid the DL down the stretch if asked to play every day, but last night was about as good a game as I've seen a guy have. Hats off Ryan. Very good points and Freel, gives his all defensively.....which is great to see from any MLB player.
August 9, 200620 yr Did St. Louis go back to the hotel last night knowing the Reds were going to win the division????????????????? Yep. All they want is a split. Winning the 1st game was key for the Cards. If ( big if) Reds would happen to take the next 2, I will gladly back off my pessimistic outlook. I was just seriously disappointed with the effort in game 1. Reminded of the one game playoff the Reds had in 99? with the Mets, can't lay a bigger egg than that one.
August 9, 200620 yr Yep. All they want is a split. Winning the 1st game was key for the Cards. If ( big if) Reds would happen to take the next 2, I will gladly back off my pessimistic outlook. I was just seriously disappointed with the effort in game 1. Reminded of the one game playoff the Reds had in 99? with the Mets, can't lay a bigger egg than that one. St. Louis will settle for a split. They don't (they can't possibly) "want" to split. They want to gain ground and take some pressure off. They got Harang tonight and Bronson tomorrow and BA is due.
August 9, 200620 yr Yep. All they want is a split. Winning the 1st game was key for the Cards. If ( big if) Reds would happen to take the next 2, I will gladly back off my pessimistic outlook. I was just seriously disappointed with the effort in game 1. Reminded of the one game playoff the Reds had in 99? with the Mets, can't lay a bigger egg than that one. That first game was just as important as the second (and the third and fourth and the rest of the year).
August 9, 200620 yr That first game was just as important as the second (and the third and fourth and the rest of the year). You're right. Narron stated that it didn't matter if the Reds won all 4 or lost all 4. This series is obviously meaningless in the Reds quest for mediocrity.
August 9, 200620 yr You're right. Narron stated that it didn't matter if the Reds won all 4 or lost all 4. This series is obviously meaningless in the Reds quest for mediocrity. If they lose the next 2 then win 10 straight I'd be happy. The importance of this series is this. 1. It's a quick way to catch up/fall back. 2. The Reds need to prove to themselves that they can beat the Cards when it matters. Last night they proved it. A split is acceptable, and losing the next 2 wouldn't be the end of the world. They know they can step up and beat the Cards. 3. At this point in the season any and all wins matter in a playoff race. To say that game 1 of a series is that much more important than game 2 is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee diculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 9, 200620 yr Yep. All they want is a split. Winning the 1st game was key for the Cards. If ( big if) Reds would happen to take the next 2, I will gladly back off my pessimistic outlook. I was just seriously disappointed with the effort in game 1. Reminded of the one game playoff the Reds had in 99? with the Mets, can't lay a bigger egg than that one. Didnt the reds play a late game in Milwaukee the night before the '99 playoff game? Im pretty sure they were not 100% that game. Id say the biggest egg laid is letting a team that handn't won a world series in over 80 years and had a history of losing the big game sweep you in the 2004 World series.
August 9, 200620 yr If they lose the next 2 then win 10 straight I'd be happy. The importance of this series is this. 1. It's a quick way to catch up/fall back. 2. The Reds need to prove to themselves that they can beat the Cards when it matters. Last night they proved it. A split is acceptable, and losing the next 2 wouldn't be the end of the world. They know they can step up and beat the Cards. 3. At this point in the season any and all wins matter in a playoff race. To say that game 1 of a series is that much more important than game 2 is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee diculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK I throw in the towel. Head to head games with the division frontrunner are not any more important than any others. What was I thinking:D
August 9, 200620 yr Didnt the reds play a late game in Milwaukee the night before the '99 playoff game? Im pretty sure they were not 100% that game. Id say the biggest egg laid is letting a team that handn't won a world series in over 80 years and had a history of losing the big game sweep you in the 2004 World series. Man I hate excuses
August 9, 200620 yr Man I hate excuses OK so what do the 99' Reds and the 06' Reds have to do with one another??
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.