December 11, 201510 yr Not sure if you mean this thread only and I haven't gone back to look, but TTP wants guns banned. Come to think about it, aren't you wanting "assault weapons" banned? I'm talking about this thread, which was aimed at compromise rather than finding extremes. Feel free to look back. There has been 5-10 ideas presented on this thread that may make some impact on the gun violence epidemic in our country. I bet there are more out there on which both sides could agree.
December 11, 201510 yr I think privacy issues are the biggest reason. If anyone can do it then you have a real chance for some to misuse the ability to do background checks, all they would need would be some very basic info on someone. They could easily put a process in place where the buyer and private seller could go to any firearms dealer and have them verify the info and call in to NICS to get an approval. I'm sure there would be a fee involved with this process as the dealers wouldn't want to do it for free. One thing that we have done when selling any guns privately we record the DL# and CCDW#(if they have one) of anyone we sell a gun to. That way if a gun we have purchased gets tracked to us we know where it went next if we sell it or trade it. This is a great post. No one is more pro gun than I am. This is the kind of specific information that the POTUS should present to the American people if he truly wants changes in gun laws, instead of telling our citizens that we need common sense gun laws, that doesn't mean anything! The vast majority of gun owners in America are not NRA puppets as some people believe, and I believe would support this type of proposals! Being an attorney the POTUS should be better at presenting this case! I'm beginning to wonder if he really wants reform.
December 11, 201510 yr This is a great post. No one is more pro gun than I am. This is the kind of specific information that the POTUS should present to the American people if he truly wants changes in gun laws, instead of telling our citizens that we need common sense gun laws, that doesn't mean anything! The vast majority of gun owners in America are not NRA puppets as some people believe, and I believe would support this type of proposals! Being an attorney the POTUS should be better at presenting this case! I'm beginning to wonder if he really wants reform.TTP is gonna poopoo that notion. Where will he get his underhanded barbs if that's not true?
December 11, 201510 yr I'm not saying there aren't other ways to kill yourself. I'm saying that if there is a correlation between the number of guns and the number of suicides then it would show that people are less likely to kill themselves when they don't have easy access to a gun. That would indicate that some people who are suicidal won't do it if it's not easy enough. And to me that would be important. We've all for the most part agreed that folks with an extensive history of mental illness should be more thoroughly vetted when purchasing a gun. We also agree that's tricky do to HIPPA regulations and how far you want to peel that back. If someone wants to kill themselves and they know anyone with guns then there's a means for their end. Do you ever wonder why someone gets hit by a car on the expressway late at night or on train tracks. Or that person suddenly lost control of their vehicle and died; we see this a lot with heroin now, no family wants to see their loved one portrayed to the public as suicidal, or an addict, even if they were. It doesn't mean that someone's rights to own a gun should be limited because there are suicidal or angry people. Just like a person shouldn't lose their right to defend themselves against criminals who unlawfully obtain a firearm. You can't help everyone all of the time. But at least allow those who want to help themselves(protect themselves and family) the ability to do so. That doesn't seem that unreasonable does it?
December 11, 201510 yr TTP is gonna poopoo that notion. Where will he get his underhanded barbs if that's not true?That's what TTP stands for There To Poopoo.
December 11, 201510 yr I don't doubt any terror suspect will try to avoid the system, but if they couldn't own guns wouldn't it be illegal for the secondary source to sell them the guns. They would then face the same charges a gun shop would face for selling guns illegally. Not in a lot of places. Here's where it gets stupid, again. Someone should NOT have to pay a fee to sell their brother their gun they got from grandpa when he passed away(happens all of the time). However unless the government says certain or all certified dealers can and should process gun sales between two private parties free of charge then that's what you will get. Some may go for a 10-15 dollar charge. Still if you know the background of whom you're selling to it really turns people off. However if you incentivized the gun dealer to do said paper work for free( to create a paper trail) I think you could keep track of who's buying guns much easier. People tend to not like being charged a fee for doing the right thing when they believe it's their right to own guns within the laws. I think if you give the gun dealers the incentives it will in turn push private sellers to follow suit, simply because they're of the beliefs that's the right thing to do.
December 11, 201510 yr Not in a lot of places. Here's where it gets stupid, again. Someone should NOT have to pay a fee to sell their brother their gun they got from grandpa when he passed away(happens all of the time). However unless the government says certain or all certified dealers can and should process gun sales between two private parties free of charge then that's what you will get. Some may go for a 10-15 dollar charge. Still if you know the background of whom you're selling to it really turns people off. However if you incentivized the gun dealer to do said paper work for free( to create a paper trail) I think you could keep track of who's buying guns much easier. People tend to not like being charged a fee for doing the right thing when they believe it's their right to own guns within the laws. I think if you give the gun dealers the incentives it will in turn push private sellers to follow suit, simply because they're of the beliefs that's the right thing to do. We do it with cars... I don't think it's wrong to register a gun basically saying "I have this gun and it's my responsibility unless it's stolen and then you (authorities) need to be on the look out for it."
December 11, 201510 yr We do it with cars... I don't think it's wrong to register a gun basically saying "I have this gun and it's my responsibility unless it's stolen and then you (authorities) need to be on the look out for it." Until the Kings soldiers come for it.
December 11, 201510 yr We do it with cars... I don't think it's wrong to register a gun basically saying "I have this gun and it's my responsibility unless it's stolen and then you (authorities) need to be on the look out for it." I don't have a problem with that. I also don't fear someone coming for my guns like John Anthony mentions. With that said I'm sure as hell not paying a gun tax for owning a gun. Pull that stuff and their will be blood. I think most folks are reasonable but also realistic.
December 11, 201510 yr I don't have a problem with that. I also don't fear someone coming for my guns like John Anthony mentions. With that said I'm sure as hell not paying a gun tax for owning a gun. Pull that stuff and their will be blood. I think most folks are reasonable but also realistic. If the liberals had it there way all guns would be rounded up and in state control.
December 11, 201510 yr That's what TTP stands for There To Poopoo. If you're going to name-denigrate, you and Spin at least need to spell the terms correctly. Too much to ask? Yeah, probably. (Hint: poopoo is what you and Spin-and-Marty step in daily.)
December 11, 201510 yr We do it with cars... I don't think it's wrong to register a gun basically saying "I have this gun and it's my responsibility unless it's stolen and then you (authorities) need to be on the look out for it." states receive tax from cars, apples and anvils.
December 11, 201510 yr If you're going to name-denigrate, you and Spin at least need to spell the terms correctly. Too much to ask? Yeah, probably. (Hint: poopoo is what you and Spin-and-Marty step in daily.)You're truly an unmatched wit.
December 11, 201510 yr If the liberals had it there way all guns would be rounded up and in state control. Maybe so. I don't think that's the majority of liberals. At least not yet.
December 11, 201510 yr You're truly an unmatched wit. The correct term contains a couple of H's. We must set a good example for all the impressionable teens who read this stuff, even in threads dominated by gun-lovers.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.