Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Johnson Central 8 Ashland 7

Featured Replies

They fumbled the first play from the line of scrimmage. Had numerous fumble opportunities (that JC recovered) that were play killers. Threw a horrible interception and had another interception dropped.

 

Johnson Central played about as poor as they have all season and won. That is laying an egg. I would not count on those breaks if I were Ashland in the rematch.

 

Now don't get me wrong Ashland is more than capable of beating JC if round 2 comes along. Anytime you have Baker you have a chance to big play yourself to a win, but Ashland got a lot of breaks tonight (How many delay of game penalties because Workman did not know the play clock? In the JC offense those are killers) and still came up short.

 

GREAT EFFORT by the Tomcats, but this may have been the best opportunity to get JC and they let it slip away.

 

Obviously Ashlands defense had nothing to do with any of that...

  • Replies 146
  • Views 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author
Expensive is OK, as long as it serves a purpose. I'm just curious if anyone knows what exactly it was used for. JC fans?

I'm assuming it's for coaches to make adjustments and to take position groups to.

I'm assuming it's for coaches to make adjustments and to take position groups to.

 

Understandable, seems like more teams should use it.

  • Author
Understandable, seems like more teams should use it.

 

Probably will in the future. Some coaches may believe it's not worth the hassle of the set up but I don't know what it takes so.

Just got back from Ashland. Great atmosphere and a great game. Here is my summary.

 

JC did a great job on Baker IMO. He ended up with 170ish yards on 23 carries but had 80 yards on one carry where a JC defender had him wrapped up with both arms, went to throw him, but the kid kept his balance and had open daylight from there (hats off to Baker for a superb play, he was as good as advertised - turn a 3 yard gain into a score). Take away that play and JC held him to under 100 on 22 carries. But thats what Baker does, he gets 2 yards, 5 yards, loses a few yards, then BAM, gone for 80. All in all i felt JC did a good job slowing him down.

 

For JC, they played as bad offensively as they have all year but give credit to the Ashland defense on that one. JC spent too much time going east and west instead of sticking to the power game between the tackles. Workman had more than a few misreads on the belly, but he will bounce back. JC has worked on the passing game more this season than I have ever seen and it netted them the TD and 2point conversion to eventually win the game. Big props to Matney for having the guts to call those plays. Fumble on the first play on a shaky hand off and interception hurt JC in the first half. Negative plays and penalties took them out of FG range and killed a few drives in the 2nd half.

 

The video system in legal and is real time playback of the game for offensive and defensive lines to make adjustments. Any team that wishes can do this. On a side note I saw a drone tonight, which is illegal if filming, but pretty sure it was from a neighbors yard and had nothing to do with the game.

 

Both of these defenses played lights out. #2 for Ashland is really fast and made some great open field tackles all night. To answer the question on Ashlands first drive (after the JC turnover deep in their own territory), I would have went for it too. Huge momentum, best back in the state, two chances from the 4 yard line, and early in the game. At that time Ashland was probably thinking they would need TD's to stay close. I dont blame the coach for going for it, but would have gave it Baker there for sure.

 

In summary, this game showed what I think are the two best defenses in the state and two best teams in the state (4A). Lots of hard hits all night both ways. Lots of tough yards. JC made some huge stops when Ashland was close to the goal line and as someone (not me) mentioned in the prediction thread that Tyler Pack might be the difference. He was a huge factor with the punts and touchbacks giving Ashland a long field all night. I fully expect a rematch and still think JC is 2 TD's better at home. Next game should likely be in the 20's as this was just two great defense's refusing to give up points. Plenty of ice baths earned both ways tonight.

 

Funny thing was, both scoring plays came within 2 minutes of each other. What a fun game to watch as Matney still seems to have the Tomcats number.

Obviously Ashlands defense had nothing to do with any of that...

 

You think Ashland's defense caused delay of games?

 

It caused missed exchanges?

 

You are giving a lot of credit to a defense there.

 

Ashland is a very good defensive team. I already mentioned their awesome team speed but I don't see how you can think that the multiple delay of game penalties were caused by the defense.

 

So I guess JC's defense caused Ashland's guards to each pull the wrong direction and hit each other in the middle of a play. Or the back to back false starts. Or the QB opening to the wrong direction.

 

A great job by the JC defense by having Love use his timeouts early in the 2nd half. Really paid off.

 

Bottom line is I see this as a bad loss for Ashland. Don't know if they will catch the same breaks if these two teams play again. Also as I have stated wouldn't be surprised if Ashland wins, I just think Baker will have to blow up and pack the Tomcats. Very capable of happening, just think JC had multiple non-forced errors and still won.

Just got back from Ashland. Great atmosphere and a great game. Here is my summary.

 

JC did a great job on Baker IMO. He ended up with 170ish yards on 23 carries but had 80 yards on one carry where a JC defender had him wrapped up with both arms, went to throw him, but the kid kept his balance and had open daylight from there (hats off to Baker for a superb play, he was as good as advertised - turn a 3 yard gain into a score). Take away that play and JC held him to under 100 on 22 carries. But thats what Baker does, he gets 2 yards, 5 yards, loses a few yards, then BAM, gone for 80. All in all i felt JC did a good job slowing him down.

 

For JC, they played as bad offensively as they have all year but give credit to the Ashland defense on that one. JC spent too much time going east and west instead of sticking to the power game between the tackles. Workman had more than a few misreads on the belly, but he will bounce back. JC has worked on the passing game more this season than I have ever seen and it netted them the TD and 2point conversion to eventually win the game. Big props to Matney for having the guts to call those plays. Fumble on the first play on a shaky hand off and interception hurt JC in the first half. Negative plays and penalties took them out of FG range and killed a few drives in the 2nd half.

 

The video system in legal and is real time playback of the game for offensive and defensive lines to make adjustments. Any team that wishes can do this. On a side note I saw a drone tonight, which is illegal if filming, but pretty sure it was from a neighbors yard and had nothing to do with the game.

 

Both of these defenses played lights out. #2 for Ashland is really fast and made some great open field tackles all night. To answer the question on Ashlands first drive (after the JC turnover deep in their own territory), I would have went for it too. Huge momentum, best back in the state, two chances from the 4 yard line, and early in the game. At that time Ashland was probably thinking they would need TD's to stay close. I dont blame the coach for going for it, but would have gave it Baker there for sure.

 

In summary, this game showed what I think are the two best defenses in the state and two best teams in the state (4A). Lots of hard hits all night both ways. Lots of tough yards. JC made some huge stops when Ashland was close to the goal line and as someone (not me) mentioned in the prediction thread that Tyler Pack might be the difference. He was a huge factor with the punts and touchbacks giving Ashland a long field all night. I fully expect a rematch and still think JC is 2 TD's better at home. Next game should likely be in the 20's as this was just two great defense's refusing to give up points. Plenty of ice baths earned both ways tonight.

 

Funny thing was, both scoring plays came within 2 minutes of each other. What a fun game to watch as Matney still seems to have the Tomcats number.

 

Great analysis on the game. Congrats to JC, both teams fought hard for this one. I also believe these two are the best two defenses in 4a, no disrespect to South Warren, but what I seen from both teams tonight on defense was simply amazing. I didn't see the drone, but there is occasionally one above Putnam, APD is generally who is flying it.

Wow! What a game. For people who think because it was an 8–7 game, that it wasn't a good game is crazy. This was a very physical game and I'm glad I drove a few hours to come watch it.

 

My take on the game. I do feel that Ashland played better tonight and maybe should have won this game, but I feel that JC is the better team still. More complete team and should have thrown the ball more. I also don't agree with some of the play calling for Ashland, had time at the end of both halfs to score, but could only run the ball.

 

Baker is an outstanding back, but I was more impressed with the LB #2. That kid can play. My opinion, the 2 best players on the field.

 

Hope I can see the rematch if it happens...

Some more stats to absorb, JC had around 180 yards on 33 plays and Ashland had 312 yards on 53 plays. Not much difference on the yardage per play. What a great game as I cant wait for the likely rematch. Both teams still have work to do though as I think both got better from this game.

 

Seems this was the night for Ashland to get JC, but it just didnt happen. Hope everyone came out injury free as again, there were some big hits.

  • Author
Wow! What a game. For people who think because it was an 8–7 game, that it wasn't a good game is crazy. This was a very physical game and I'm glad I drove a few hours to come watch it.

 

My take on the game. I do feel that Ashland played better tonight and maybe should have won this game, but I feel that JC is the better team still. More complete team and should have thrown the ball more. I also don't agree with some of the play calling for Ashland, had time at the end of both halfs to score, but could only run the ball.

 

Baker is an outstanding back, but I was more impressed with the LB #2. That kid can play. My opinion, the 2 best players on the field.

 

Hope I can see the rematch if it happens...

 

Drew O'Bryan #2 is committed to WKU, and I believe he could give Kash Daniel a run for his money.

He had one play where came through the line ( should have flowed down the line), had a bad angle and still made the play. I've not watched the Kash kid, but this O'Bryan kid is the real deal.

Check out this link. Matney's post game comments to his team on the field just at the end. Those kids would run through a wall for him.

 

Just got back from Ashland. Great atmosphere and a great game. Here is my summary.

 

JC did a great job on Baker IMO. He ended up with 170ish yards on 23 carries but had 80 yards on one carry where a JC defender had him wrapped up with both arms, went to throw him, but the kid kept his balance and had open daylight from there (hats off to Baker for a superb play, he was as good as advertised - turn a 3 yard gain into a score). Take away that play and JC held him to under 100 on 22 carries. But thats what Baker does, he gets 2 yards, 5 yards, loses a few yards, then BAM, gone for 80. All in all i felt JC did a good job slowing him down.

 

For JC, they played as bad offensively as they have all year but give credit to the Ashland defense on that one. JC spent too much time going east and west instead of sticking to the power game between the tackles. Workman had more than a few misreads on the belly, but he will bounce back. JC has worked on the passing game more this season than I have ever seen and it netted them the TD and 2point conversion to eventually win the game. Big props to Matney for having the guts to call those plays. Fumble on the first play on a shaky hand off and interception hurt JC in the first half. Negative plays and penalties took them out of FG range and killed a few drives in the 2nd half.

 

The video system in legal and is real time playback of the game for offensive and defensive lines to make adjustments. Any team that wishes can do this. On a side note I saw a drone tonight, which is illegal if filming, but pretty sure it was from a neighbors yard and had nothing to do with the game.

 

Both of these defenses played lights out. #2 for Ashland is really fast and made some great open field tackles all night. To answer the question on Ashlands first drive (after the JC turnover deep in their own territory), I would have went for it too. Huge momentum, best back in the state, two chances from the 4 yard line, and early in the game. At that time Ashland was probably thinking they would need TD's to stay close. I dont blame the coach for going for it, but would have gave it Baker there for sure.

 

In summary, this game showed what I think are the two best defenses in the state and two best teams in the state (4A). Lots of hard hits all night both ways. Lots of tough yards. JC made some huge stops when Ashland was close to the goal line and as someone (not me) mentioned in the prediction thread that Tyler Pack might be the difference. He was a huge factor with the punts and touchbacks giving Ashland a long field all night. I fully expect a rematch and still think JC is 2 TD's better at home. Next game should likely be in the 20's as this was just two great defense's refusing to give up points. Plenty of ice baths earned both ways tonight.

 

Funny thing was, both scoring plays came within 2 minutes of each other. What a fun game to watch as Matney still seems to have the Tomcats number.

Maybe 2nd and third defense SW better by far but sounds like a great game congrats JC finding a way to win

Maybe 2nd and third defense SW better by far but sounds like a great game congrats JC finding a way to win

 

Better by far? I seriously doubt that. There were probably 10 future college players on the field tonight (NAIA to D1). South Warren is good and I have seen them on film. To be honest I think both Ashland and JC would beat them on a neutral field. We will find out though (If SW makes it to BG as one of these two will likely be there)

More video highlights of the game. You will see both scoring plays in the game. That Baker run was great as JC had him for a short gain. The JC score came only 1:40 after Ashland had scored. The highlight also shows the last play of the game (penalty was called as Baker was probably 5 yards past the LOS when he passed it)

 

Again what a game by two great teams.

 

Link:

HIGHLIGHTS: Ashland Blazer vs. No. 2 Johnson Central

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.