Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lifeboat Quiz: is this appropriate?

Featured Replies

I feel like I am the only one thinking that the convict might potentially have survival skills that might be useful should we find an island or something.

 

I'm confident in my survivor skills.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For reference here is the quiz:

 

You are in a sea disaster and you have a lifeboat to save people. You can only save 9 people but there 15 people that need to be saved. Who boards your lifeboat?

 

1. A pregnant woman

2. An ex convict

3. A guy doctor

4. A girl doctor

5. A black guy

6. A white guy

7. A Hispanic woman

8. Donald Trump

9. Mr. Hagerman(the teacher)

10. Mr. Bobo(I think the principal)

11. A rabbi

12. Barack Obama

13. Justin Bieber

14. A police officer

15. A minister

 

In every movie I've ever watched with a big cast like this, the black guy dies real early.

 

#keepinitreal

For reference here is the quiz:

 

You are in a sea disaster and you have a lifeboat to save people. You can only save 9 people but there 15 people that need to be saved. Who boards your lifeboat?

 

1. A pregnant woman

2. An ex convict

3. A guy doctor

4. A girl doctor

5. A black guy

6. A white guy

7. A Hispanic woman

8. Donald Trump

9. Mr. Hagerman(the teacher)

10. Mr. Bobo(I think the principal)

11. A rabbi

12. Barack Obama

13. Justin Bieber

14. A police officer

15. A minister

 

Me

 

Both doctors: useful skills

 

Police officer: probably useful skills

 

Barack Obama: Let's face it if they are going to look for any of us it will be to find him

 

Convict: conditional on why he was a convict. Lived a rougher life so likely tough and potentially valuable if we make it to an island. If we have to eat anyone he is the easy choice with little moral qualms.

 

Rabbi: love a Jewish sense of humor and odds are low that he would attempt to convert me or convince me to repent. Besides he could still provide moral guidance.

 

Hispanic woman: need more ladies and linguistic diversity could be beneficial depending on where we end up.

 

Pregnant woman: not because I think we should save her, odds are good she will be more trouble than she is worth in a survival situation. But if we get rescued it would look terrible if it comes out that I left her out for pragmatic reasons.

I'm surprised a priest or the Pope is not an option, because I'd be interested to see those results.

 

I think PP92 said it best. If we could look past the question itself and perhaps use this as some sort of survey on racism/prejudices, then it could be productive. But I also think a quiz like this has no place in a 5th grade classroom. Maybe there is more to the story,

I don't get it. What if both doctors and the policeman and the teachers and the pregnant lady and the ministers are all black. And I pick all of them. And I have all black people (except for me.) What does that say about me?

I don't get it. What if both doctors and the policeman and the teachers and the pregnant lady and the ministers are all black. And I pick all of them. And I have all black people (except for me.) What does that say about me?

 

Great post! Reminds me of this movie clip

 

I don't get it. What if both doctors and the policeman and the teachers and the pregnant lady and the ministers are all black. And I pick all of them. And I have all black people (except for me.) What does that say about me?

 

Good point. Maybe we should come up with our own detailed Lifeboat quiz.

 

(Language warning)

Edited by True blue (and gold)

Me

 

Both doctors: useful skills

 

Police officer: probably useful skills

 

Barack Obama: Let's face it if they are going to look for any of us it will be to find him

 

Convict: conditional on why he was a convict. Lived a rougher life so likely tough and potentially valuable if we make it to an island. If we have to eat anyone he is the easy choice with little moral qualms.

 

Rabbi: love a Jewish sense of humor and odds are low that he would attempt to convert me or convince me to repent. Besides he could still provide moral guidance.

 

Hispanic woman: need more ladies and linguistic diversity could be beneficial depending on where we end up.

 

Pregnant woman: not because I think we should save her, odds are good she will be more trouble than she is worth in a survival situation. But if we get rescued it would look terrible if it comes out that I left her out for pragmatic reasons.

 

Well done, Jack Shephard. Your unknown half-sister Claire thanks you.

No way I keep Bieber or Obama

 

Obama is so full of hot air he will float anyway

For reference here is the quiz:

 

You are in a sea disaster and you have a lifeboat to save people. You can only save 9 people but there 15 people that need to be saved. Who boards your lifeboat?

 

1. A pregnant woman

2. An ex convict

3. A guy doctor

4. A girl doctor

5. A black guy

6. A white guy

7. A Hispanic woman

8. Donald Trump

9. Mr. Hagerman(the teacher)

10. Mr. Bobo(I think the principal)

11. A rabbi

12. Barack Obama

13. Justin Bieber

14. A police officer

15. A minister

I'm assuming the rabbi, cop, and minister would all sacrifice themselves. I would toss Bieber, Obama and Trump.

For reference here is the quiz:

 

You are in a sea disaster and you have a lifeboat to save people. You can only save 9 people but there 15 people that need to be saved. Who boards your lifeboat?

 

1. A pregnant woman

2. An ex convict

3. A guy doctor

4. A girl doctor

5. A black guy

6. A white guy

7. A Hispanic woman

8. Donald Trump

9. Mr. Hagerman(the teacher)

10. Mr. Bobo(I think the principal)

11. A rabbi

12. Barack Obama

13. Justin Bieber

14. A police officer

15. A minister

 

I'd save Trump, Obama, Bieber etc in hopes of getting huge financial rewards.

Pregnant Woman: 2 lives for the price of one.

Both Doctors: Probably be useful having their skills if we're stranded for an extended period.

Police Officer: Same as the doctors

Barack Obama: He's the POTUS; you save the POTUS no matter what.

Hispanic woman: Need gender diversity if we're stranded for a prolonged period.

Black Guy & White Guy: No real reason other than need to pick 9.

Mr. Hagerman: Probably wise to have a teacher or educator in our new society.

 

The convict would be #10. Could make a case for him depending on what he was in for.

I was at a company training a couple of weeks ago, and we actually did this as a team building exercise. Our list of people was a little bit different. We had Pope Francis, The Dali Lama, Taylor Swift, Mom, etc.

 

The remaining people had ages and occupations given. I think the only race listed was an Asian Chef. (I wanted to keep him awhile, figuring we might be able to get saw raw fish for sushi) Other factors would be listed about the people for example: 48 years old 420 lbs doctor, 38 year old survivoralist with stage 2 colon cancer, etc.

 

The rules were that you could only put 9 of the 15 on the boat and then once on the boat one by one you would have to remove someone until you were down to one. There was no possibility that you would be saved.

 

There really are not right or wrong answers, the purpose was to make you think and give reasons for the decisions that you make. We found that in most cases we didn't have enough information to make a real informed decision an example being was the doctor a medical doctor, or a PHD in music.

 

It was an interesting exercise and out of 8 groups we all had mostly different list. However, Taylor Swift only made the boat in one of the list.

 

However, this is probably a little beyond what 11 year olds should be asked to deal with in school. Maybe better for a high school class.

Dumped overboard are:

 

The Teacher

The Principal

Bieber

Obama

The Ex Con

Trump

The Guy Doctor

 

Had to dump 7 because the pregnant woman counts as two staying in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.