Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pope met with Kim Davis

Featured Replies

because I don't know a whole lot about them, and partially because based on what I do know, try as I might, I cannot work up much passion one way or the other.)

 

I think what you've said here best summarizes my whole point, so maybe I should let you post for me. :lol2::thumb:

 

The word you use here: passion. That's all I'm saying. People on both sides of the gay marriage issue are passionate about their beliefs. We saw that very clearly after the SCOTUS issued its decision.

 

But then along comes Kim Davis, and she gives a face to the issue--a face that some strongly oppose and one that some strongly support. My contention is that, more than anything else, she is a face for the gay marriage issue. The support and opposition she receives are predominantly centered around that issue. The other things attached to her (publicly elected official not doing her duties, religious freedom, etc.) are secondary.

 

Surely to goodness she's not the first public official who has intentionally failed to perform the job she was elected to do. But she is one of, if not the, most talked about. Why? Because of gay marriage.

  • Replies 324
  • Views 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not even remotely close.

OK if you say so...

What exactly do you all mean when you refer to "challenging" sanctuary cities?

 

If the federal government is ignoring laws, who's supposed to challenge them?

 

Kim Davis challenged the supreme court by breaking a law and lost.

 

The point people are making with sanctuary cities, imo, is that they themselves are a challenge to the federal government...but the federal government ignores it.

 

Maybe I'm wrong.

OK if you say so...

 

Being Christian is not an end all be all "get out of hell free" pass IMO. There are millions upon millions of people in this world that have never even heard of or been exposed to Christianity. If accepting Jesus is the only way for one to get to heaven, I wonder what these people did to deserve no chance without even knowing it?

 

Like I said, I'm very comfortable in my beliefs. I don't care in the slightest if you or anyone else approves of or understands them.

I believe people from all religions will be in Heaven. I believe that God will judge people based on their actions rather then the religion they were brought up in.

 

It's absolutely unfathomable for me to believe that if you have an atheist who treats everyone with kindness, gives time and money to those in need, does great works and leads a good life will be told at the gates to heaven, "sorry, you checked every box necessary except you didn't believe in me. It's hell for you", while at the same time a person who is baptized grows up and becomes a serial rapist or killer and leads the most despicable life imaginable, sit on their death bed they ask God for forgiveness and mercy and they get to the gates of heaven to hear, "well you were the worst person on the planet, but you believed in me and asked for my forgiveness, so come on in.".

 

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. To tell you the truth the type of place where the second person I described is allowed in, but the 1st isn't, isn't really a place I'd be interested in being anyways.

 

 

Utterly! Illogical is the norm for religion.

So People of all religions (and atheist), even the ones that denounce Jesus Christ as the Son of God will go to heaven as long as they act good while alive? Is that from your Catholic teaching or is that something you came up with on your own accord?

 

I think so.

Being Christian is not an end all be all "get out of hell free" pass IMO. There are millions upon millions of people in this world that have never even heard of or been exposed to Christianity. If accepting Jesus is the only way for one to get to heaven, I wonder what these people did to deserve no chance without even knowing it?

 

Like I said, I'm very comfortable in my beliefs. I don't care in the slightest if you or anyone else approves of or understands them.

 

I'm with you 100%. I'll also add that it is super super hard for me to take any man's word on what they think they know when they really don't know. We all have our own faith and beliefs and I can't get with someone who hasn't been there trying to tell me their faith and belief is right and mine is wrong.

FWIW Davis isn't the only clerk in KY that says they won't give out licenses, she was just the one chosen to challenge. Probably because she fit the stereo type "look" the challengers were looking for. No one has challenged the others as far as I know.

 

I'd say it's because Rowan county is home to a disproportionately progressive population for a rural county due to the university there. I doubt there are many homosexuals in Casey county champing at the bit to get in the news and out themselves.

I'm with you 100%. I'll also add that it is super super hard for me to take any man's word on what they think they know when they really don't know. We all have our own faith and beliefs and I can't get with someone who hasn't been there trying to tell me their faith and belief is right and mine is wrong.

 

Word.

FWIW Davis isn't the only clerk in KY that says they won't give out licenses, she was just the one chosen to challenge. Probably because she fit the stereo type "look" the challengers were looking for. No one has challenged the others as far as I know.

 

Have any gay couples gone to Casey County to try to get married? If not then there is your answer. As hardcore as that dude is and for how hard he is trying to get Kim Davis publicity there isn't anyone trying to test him in Liberty.

I'm with you 100%. I'll also add that it is super super hard for me to take any man's word on what they think they know when they really don't know. We all have our own faith and beliefs and I can't get with someone who hasn't been there trying to tell me their faith and belief is right and mine is wrong.

 

No doubt. And to further that point, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll ask God to forgive me. But if I'm right, and I truly believe that I am (although as you said we can't be certain), well I'm guessing I have a pretty big leg up on those who have passed judgment on those who don't share their beliefs. :idunno:

Being Christian is not an end all be all "get out of hell free" pass IMO. There are millions upon millions of people in this world that have never even heard of or been exposed to Christianity. If accepting Jesus is the only way for one to get to heaven, I wonder what these people did to deserve no chance without even knowing it?

 

Like I said, I'm very comfortable in my beliefs. I don't care in the slightest if you or anyone else approves of or understands them.

I don't care what you believe in any way, I was just trying to clarify what you said.

 

You are welcome to believe what ever you want.

Surely to goodness she's not the first public official who has intentionally failed to perform the job she was elected to do. But she is one of, if not the, most talked about. Why? Because of gay marriage.

 

Let me add something else to this:

 

Let's say Mrs. Davis is approached by a man and woman in Rowan County who come to her office seeking to obtain a marriage license. And let's say that these two people have the same mailing address, therefore, we can deduce that they are living together without being married. Does she issue them a license, even though such a living arrangement contradicts her faith?

 

If she refused, would she be receiving the same amount of support she's currently received? I say absolutely not.

Have any gay couples gone to Casey County to try to get married? If not then there is your answer. As hardcore as that dude is and for how hard he is trying to get Kim Davis publicity there isn't anyone trying to test him in Liberty.

Not that I know of. I wasn't asking for an answer...I know why he's not made the news as much as Davis. I was just saying that she's not the only one with that position.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.