Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pope met with Kim Davis

Featured Replies

100% correct.

 

One of my strengths is fully acknowledging my weaknesses. Understanding other religions would certainly be a weakness.

 

Secondly, it's not an all-or-nothing as UKMF seems to imply. I probably agree with MUCH of what the Jewish faith believes. Heck, I may agree with a fair amount of what Muslims believe. Don't know. Can't speak as to what they believe.

 

But here's an example. If the Muslim religion believe that women are lesser than men then I do NOT respect that belief.

 

If a Christian believes that dancing is evil then I do NOT respect that belief.

 

If a Catholic believes that abortion should be illegal by LAW then I do NOT respect that belief.

 

Does it mean I disrespect the entire religion? No.

 

Does it mean I disrespect the person as a human being? Not always. Depends.

 

I just don't get why people always feel like it's imperative to say "I respect your belief" when they FULLY disagree with it.

 

I can't speak for everyone, but in the times when I say that myself, I think what I really mean is that I respect that you believe in something strongly enough to stand up for it when it is challenged.

 

So really, I guess I mean what you have been saying: I respect the person/the person's courage to stay true to their beliefs rather than the belief itself.

  • Replies 324
  • Views 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why did the Pope meet with Kim Davis? Did he need a marriage license?

 

 

Ok, ok, ok. I know I'm headed for h-e double toothpicks.

 

There you go, thread jacking, this thread has nothing to do with the pope or Kim Davis

 

:)

My belief is that no, not everyone will get to heaven. I 100% believe that if you live your life 100% following the Bible as you interpret it, are kind and loving to others, and in the most basic explanation just a good person, you'll be good.

 

I also believe that the devout Muslim living halfway around the world (or here in America) who treats others with kindness and compassion, is a loving caring person who leads a good life will get to heaven as well.

 

I believe that a gay individual will be just as likely as you or I to make it to heaven based on the way they lived their life as one of love and kindness. Them being gay will not factor into their entrance to heaven IMO.

 

To me, it's quite simple. Be loving, be caring, do good works, treat others with kindness, and when you screw up own it and strive to do better. You do these things, you're good IMO.

So People of all religions (and atheist), even the ones that denounce Jesus Christ as the Son of God will go to heaven as long as they act good while alive? Is that from your Catholic teaching or is that something you came up with on your own accord?

Yes, it absolutely matters.

 

It's okay to ignore federal law so long as there's no legal challenge?

It's okay to ignore federal law so long as there's no legal challenge?

 

It's not okay, but how would anyone outside that office (especially hundreds of miles away) know about it without someone publicly challenging it?

FWIW Davis isn't the only clerk in KY that says they won't give out licenses, she was just the one chosen to challenge. Probably because she fit the stereo type "look" the challengers were looking for. No one has challenged the others as far as I know.

So People of all religions (and atheist), even the ones that denounce Jesus Christ as the Son of God will go to heaven as long as they act good while alive? Is that from your Catholic teaching or is that something you came up with on your own accord?

 

I believe people from all religions will be in Heaven. I believe that God will judge people based on their actions rather then the religion they were brought up in.

 

It's absolutely unfathomable for me to believe that if you have an atheist who treats everyone with kindness, gives time and money to those in need, does great works and leads a good life will be told at the gates to heaven, "sorry, you checked every box necessary except you didn't believe in me. It's hell for you", while at the same time a person who is baptized grows up and becomes a serial rapist or killer and leads the most despicable life imaginable, sit on their death bed they ask God for forgiveness and mercy and they get to the gates of heaven to hear, "well you were the worst person on the planet, but you believed in me and asked for my forgiveness, so come on in.".

 

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. To tell you the truth the type of place where the second person I described is allowed in, but the 1st isn't, isn't really a place I'd be interested in being anyways.

It's okay to ignore federal law so long as there's no legal challenge?

 

Is it okay? Nope, but until it's brought to the courts, we don't know that what they're doing is actually ignoring the law.

So People of all religions (and atheist), even the ones that denounce Jesus Christ as the Son of God will go to heaven as long as they act good while alive? Is that from your Catholic teaching or is that something you came up with on your own accord?

 

It's possible. As Jesus died for all of us, even those who do not follow Him.

I believe people from all religions will be in Heaven. I believe that God will judge people based on their actions rather then the religion they were brought up in.

 

It's absolutely unfathomable for me to believe that if you have an atheist who treats everyone with kindness, gives time and money to those in need, does great works and leads a good life will be told at the gates to heaven, "sorry, you checked every box necessary except you didn't believe in me. It's hell for you", while at the same time a person who is baptized grows up and becomes a serial rapist or killer and leads the most despicable life imaginable, sit on their death bed they ask God for forgiveness and mercy and they get to the gates of heaven to hear, "well you were the worst person on the planet, but you believed in me and asked for my forgiveness, so come on in.".

 

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. To tell you the truth the type of place where the second person I described is allowed in, but the 1st isn't, isn't really a place I'd be interested in being anyways.

If I'm not mistaken you said you were a Catholic, so you don't agree with much of anything that your church says about salvation and accepting Christ...would that be a fair assessment of your position?

If I'm not mistaken you said you were a Catholic, so you don't agree with much of anything that your church says about salvation and accepting Christ...would that be a fair assessment of your position?

 

Not even remotely close.

It's not okay, but how would anyone outside that office (especially hundreds of miles away) know about it without someone publicly challenging it?
By paying attention to the news.
By paying attention to the news.

 

If no one challenges it, it won't be on the news...

It's not okay, but how would anyone outside that office (especially hundreds of miles away) know about it without someone publicly challenging it?

 

I'm not sure about legal challenges to sanctuary cities, but there have been plenty of public challenges.

 

until it's brought to the courts, we don't know that what they're doing is actually ignoring the law.

 

And my argument is that if there are federal laws concerning immigration and public officials disregard those laws, it's the same thing that Kim Davis has done here. One might be a little easier to see, which I believe is what Clizzy has alluded to, but at the end of the day, I see the defiance as one and the same.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.