September 30, 201511 yr You obviously have not studied the difference in the Levitical Law and New Testament. There it is. The whole, don't believe that stuff in the old Testament because the NT supersedes it. But hey, God is a vengeful destructive God, remember Sodom and Gomorra? :idunno:
September 30, 201511 yr Around 30 U.S. cities have declared themselves sanctuary cities, meaning they are choosing not to enforce federal immigration laws. Again, these are publicly elected officials, just like Kim Davis. I'm not sure what religious beliefs have to do with anything. I thought people were simply upset because she was failing to do the job she was elected to do. Have the cities been taken to court and have judges ruled one way or the other?
September 30, 201511 yr So many like to take the parts that are non controversial and leave the rest out? I agree and have said that there are many sins that will give us gate problems. But you can take part of the Bible and leave out what you might not agree with. My estimation is that is exactly what you're doing. It's hard to love others to the point you would give up your luxuries and give it to someone else. It's hard to turn the other cheek when wronged. It's hard to resist greed in our consumption-based society. But, it's easy in our society to have an aversion to homosexuality. It's easy to turn Christianity into a political affiliation.
September 30, 201511 yr You obviously have not studied the difference in the Levitical Law and New Testament. That's my point. You either believe the bible or you don't.
September 30, 201511 yr If I am a Christian what would you have me follow? And have you ever read the Bible? The problem you are going to run into is that you are a protestant sola scriptura type. There are many branches of Christianity that do not look at it the same way. You might say then they aren't really Christian, but by that same token your denial of Papal authority would inherently make you a heretic in the eyes of the Catholic Church. The point is that your faith, which you believe in wholeheartedly (and I respect you for that) is just that, your faith. Faith requires belief and some believe in different aspects or different interpretations of Christianity and/or the bible. Some look at the bible as literal and other look at it as figurative. Who is to say who is right? In the end it will be God who does. We can believe that we are, but until we meet our maker we can never be 100% sure. For all our sakes I just hope that it doesn't turn out that the Branch Davidians were right because then we're all up a creek.
September 30, 201511 yr Author There it is. The whole, don't believe that stuff in the old Testament because the NT supersedes it. But hey, God is a vengeful destructive God, remember Sodom and Gomorra? :idunno: I never quoted Sodom and Gomorrah, although the New Testament makes note of it and Lots wife. I have a question then UKMustangfan. If there is a Heaven will everyone get there and what will be judged on?
September 30, 201511 yr Hey, if it brings her back to the right side of the Reformation, I'm all for it. Zing! :lol2:
September 30, 201511 yr Author My estimation is that is exactly what you're doing. It's hard to love others to the point you would give up your luxuries and give it to someone else. It's hard to turn the other cheek when wronged. It's hard to resist greed in our consumption-based society. But, it's easy in our society to have an aversion to homosexuality. It's easy to turn Christianity into a political affiliation. Thats your opinion, but thats not what I am trying to do. What I have stated is what I believe. All I am saying is I will stand on what I believe to be truth and I will pray and ask God to give me guidance on what is true and whats not. I have the Bible to go by and so does all other Christians. While I may seem like the minority in here, I assure you there are tons who believe like I do.
September 30, 201511 yr I never quoted Sodom and Gomorrah, although the New Testament makes note of it and Lots wife. I have a question then UKMustangfan. If there is a Heaven will everyone get there and what will be judged on? My belief is that no, not everyone will get to heaven. I 100% believe that if you live your life 100% following the Bible as you interpret it, are kind and loving to others, and in the most basic explanation just a good person, you'll be good. I also believe that the devout Muslim living halfway around the world (or here in America) who treats others with kindness and compassion, is a loving caring person who leads a good life will get to heaven as well. I believe that a gay individual will be just as likely as you or I to make it to heaven based on the way they lived their life as one of love and kindness. Them being gay will not factor into their entrance to heaven IMO. To me, it's quite simple. Be loving, be caring, do good works, treat others with kindness, and when you screw up own it and strive to do better. You do these things, you're good IMO.
September 30, 201511 yr Thats your opinion, but thats not what I am trying to do. What I have stated is what I believe. All I am saying is I will stand on what I believe to be truth and I will pray and ask God to give me guidance on what is true and whats not. I have the Bible to go by and so does all other Christians. While I may seem like the minority in here, I assure you there are tons who believe like I do. You are the minority, even in the Christian faith. You should simply love one another, not discriminate because only God should be judging those homosexuals who are getting married. Even the majority of Christians at this point can't fathom how wrong it is to think its ok to deny basic rights to people just because you don't like what they do. I mean remember it hasn't been that long since we used to think it was ok to make Black people go to separate schools, use different bathrooms and water fountains, or even own them. This is not much different of an issue for me, you are taking something barely talked about in the Bible, and using it over all the love and compassion for ones neighbor talked about repeatedly in the bible, verse after verse, chapter after chapter. So many Christians are just fine with adulterers splitting up a family inside the church and remarrying another member of the congregation welcoming those individuals back to the church, but its not ok for someone of the same sex to get married? Seriously how horribly wrong is that?
September 30, 201511 yr Thats your opinion Of course it is. That's why I don't tell people they ought to be forced to live according to it or are heretics for disagreeing with me. This is my point. You're constantly posting that you have some infallible, correct interpretation of Christianity and everyone else is "watered down." Frankly, I think yours is the easy way out. I guess we'll agree to disagree.
September 30, 201511 yr Author Of course it is. That's why I don't tell people they ought to be forced to live according to it or are heretics for disagreeing with me. This is my point. You're constantly posting that you have some infallible, correct interpretation of Christianity and everyone else is "watered down." Frankly, I think yours is the easy way out. I guess we'll agree to disagree. I can respect that. I have been wrong many times and will be wrong again. But I am a old man who has read it and asked for understanding from God on how he sees it. I will be judged on what I have done and how I have treated people and whether I have accepted Jesus and tried to follow him. I try to help everyone in real life and I do, both Gay people and sinners and Christians alike. If you knew me you would know that but alot here dont know me and I understand that. I see no sexual preference when I interact with people and I dont hate anyone. Thats a common theme to put on anyone who disagrees with the gay marriage question that just because I dont agree with something does not mean I hate them. If I did I would be very very wrong.
September 30, 201511 yr I can respect that. I have been wrong many times and will be wrong again. But I am a old man who has read it and asked for understanding from God on how he sees it. I will be judged on what I have done and how I have treated people and whether I have accepted Jesus and tried to follow him. I try to help everyone in real life and I do, both Gay people and sinners and Christians alike. If you knew me you would know that but alot here dont know me and I understand that. I see no sexual preference when I interact with people and I dont hate anyone. Thats a common theme to put on anyone who disagrees with the gay marriage question that just because I dont agree with something does not mean I hate them. If I did I would be very very wrong. So you just don't think they should have equal rights? Just like women shouldn't have the right to vote, or blacks right?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.