Memphis Won't Honor Calipari

TheDeuce

This ends an awkward 24 hours for Rudd, who was criticized by fans who remain bitter about how Calipari left for Kentucky in 2009 -- specifically the way he seemed to extend the process so that he could recruit prospects already signed with Memphis, and how he left in the middle of an NCAA investigation that led to a vacated Final Four.

http://cbsprt.co/1iAGPuo

Edited by TheDeuce

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was working out of Memphis for a year right after Coach Cal left Memphis. They talked about him and Kentucky basketball more than they did their own program. So it's no surprise to me.

But get over it.

Sounds like Louisville sports talk radio.

The problem isn't that they aren't honoring Calipari. The problem is that they announced that they are honoring him, then backed out 24 hours later. It makes them look dumber than Josh Pastner's coaching.

It's definitely a bad look. Once you announce it, you have to go through with it regardless of the backlash.

I am a Memphis alum. fan first and last. Since I work in Lexington and live nearby (and two kids went to UK), I support the local teams. I am way more a UK football fan however than basketball, and yes I am still bitter over not just that Calipari left, but it was with how it transpired....and I don't believe I need to elaborate. The questions have already been asked of the Blue Nation as to how they honored Pitino who revived Kentucky's program in the same way Calipari revived Memphis's. I believe their will be positive recognition for Calipari in Memphis, but the President should not have made this unilateral announcement about a presentation without a consult. Also, it will ease the suffering when Memphis basketball begins to perform again to expectations. It is a challenging time, and it has been a challenging off-season there. As usual, the President of a university has no concept as to what is going on around him. Congrats to Cal, and the honor is very well deserved...I have been a fan since his UMass days...however, this is not the time in Memphis and the President should get a clue.