KHSAA rebuffs proposal for classes in baseball (per Jason Frakes)

Equal protection. Small schools with non-classified basketball aren't given an equal chance at a state championship as those who participate in classified sports at small schools. The more sports you classify the more credence you give the argument. Not saying that there is real legal basis for it but I can see some attorney wanting to make a name for himself taking it on.

Isn't that why we have the all a tournaments?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that why we have the all a tournaments?

All A is not affiliated with KHSAA so it's not a"real" state championship (awarded by the state sanctioning body), it's not the same thing. There's also an All A for baseball I believe and there at least used to be one for soccer I think. If you play in the All A you are still eligible to compete for a place in the Sweet 16, it's an in addition to, not an instead of. I look at the basketball All A as being more akin to the LIT then the Sweet 16.

FWIW I have no dog in this fight at all. If all sports classify Trinity plays in the top level regardless. I just don't see how you can push for classification in some sports while not pushing it in others.

And it's no secret he Sweet 16 is a cash cow for KHSAA. They want nothing to jeopardize that, thus their reticence to classify other sports.

The KHSAA has to be one of the worst governing bodies of high school sports in the country. That response to the proposal was a complete joke. The good ol' boy network is alive and well, and it's spelled KHSAA.

I am going to get beat up on this but I'll ask. Didn't 1A Beechwood play in finals maybe in 2006 and in semi's a few years before? 1A Brossart make semi's a few years back and 2A Lex Christian win in 2005?

I think in baseball if you have a pitcher or two it's easier than basketball.

I know I'm going to get beat up on this, just pointing out its hard, not impossible.

The same stuff we have been getting from the KHSAA for the last 10 years on this. I'm so tired of them always bringing up basketball when this topic comes up. This should have been voted on for whats best for our players and the baseball programs in our state not basketball and $. When you have something like 46 of the States that do classify baseball and we are one of the only few that don't it makes you feel like the KHSAA is holding back the development of our baseball programs and players. I wouldn't be surprised in the near future if someone from a smaller school brings litigation against the KHSAA for them not having an equal chance to compete. Could be an interesting argument.

The same stuff we have been getting from the KHSAA for the last 10 years on this. I'm so tired of them always bringing up basketball when this topic comes up. This should have been voted on for whats best for our players and the baseball programs in our state not basketball and $. When you have something like 46 of the States that do classify baseball and we are one of the only few that don't it makes you feel like the KHSAA is holding back the development of our baseball programs and players. I wouldn't be surprised in the near future if someone from a smaller school brings litigation against the KHSAA for them not having an equal chance to compete. Could be an interesting argument.

I'm not sure how no classification hurts the "development" of KY baseball programs and players. Most of the true development is coming in summer ball programs while the kids are young. And I just don't buy the argument that there is no equal chance to compete. Last year's final four consisted of 3 4a teams (Scott, Greenup, West Jessamine) and a 5a team that should be playing 4a based on enrollement (Highlands). Big Schools do have somewhat of an advantage because of numbers. But I would say it's more important to be a school that is located near larger population areas (areas that have access to higher level summer programs) and in a more affluent area, as baseball is rapidly becoming a rich kids game since local baseball leagues are dying, and select/travel ball is taking over at the youth level. Now, that being said, I don't have an issue with baseball being classified. I think 3 classes sounds about right.

I am going to get beat up on this but I'll ask. Didn't 1A Beechwood play in finals maybe in 2006 and in semi's a few years before? 1A Brossart make semi's a few years back and 2A Lex Christian win in 2005?

I know I'm going to get beat up on this, just pointing out its hard, not impossible.

You're right, but I believe those all happened (or most of them) before they expanded the tournament to a 16 team format, playing on consecutive days. Before that, it was an 8 team state tournament, with a best 2 out of 3 game semi-state a week or so before the state tourney.

I never did understand the need to classify cross-country. Track & field makes sense because there are so many events. But it only takes 5 to field an XC team. Five for a basketball team. Six for a volleyball team.

And who are they going to practice against? And who replaces them if they're injured? And how do you develop a player who doesn't practice against decent competition each day? Simple numbers of playing slots mean nothing.

In the last 25 years there has only been one 1A or 2A sized school to win a baseball State Championships in KY. That was LCA in 2005, a private school. So basically if you are that size of a school you go into the season knowing you don't have a realistic chance to compete for a State Championship, and the #1 reason is because of the number of kids to pick from to field a team.

Equal protection. Small schools with non-classified basketball aren't given an equal chance at a state championship as those who participate in classified sports at small schools. The more sports you classify the more credence you give the argument. Not saying that there is real legal basis for it but I can see some attorney wanting to make a name for himself taking it on.

What Constitutional right is being violated by having 1 state champion?

Then why do the number of students to choose from only matter in football. Basically what you are saying is unless you have a chance of winning you can drop that sport. Same thing should apply across the board for all sports. What chance does a 1A school have against a 5A or 6A school in any sport. They don't so they play schools there own size thru the season so why even have them play in the post season.