Dylan James - Mercer County

Basketball above all else is a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" game. If you are a Coach that puts a premium on scoring and shooting the ball then one player is the more impact player, but if your team is built on defense and rebounding another player becomes the gem transfer. As goes the college recruiting process, coaches recruit for their system. For some if you cannot defend the position you are projected to play then you likely are passed by. Other coaches will recruit an offensive player and not worry about their defensive woes. My point is impact has more to do with a need or type player that fits into your system.

Mercer has added a big time scorer which never hurts, but they already had several players who can fill it up so your adding to a current strength. If they could also have added Sylvester they really may have projected as the #1 team in the state. lol

Still plenty of time for kids to move before October 15th lol.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basketball above all else is a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" game. If you are a Coach that puts a premium on scoring and shooting the ball then one player is the more impact player, but if your team is built on defense and rebounding another player becomes the gem transfer. As goes the college recruiting process, coaches recruit for their system. For some if you cannot defend the position you are projected to play then you likely are passed by. Other coaches will recruit an offensive player and not worry about their defensive woes. My point is impact has more to do with a need or type player that fits into your system.

Mercer has added a big time scorer which never hurts, but they already had several players who can fill it up so your adding to a current strength. If they could also have added Sylvester they really may have projected as the #1 team in the state. lol

I agree with a lot of what you said but will disagree on one part. Mercer does already have some kids that can score, but they do so in a way that's very different than James. Looking at his stats, there wasn't a better 3 point shooter in the state last year (47%). My knock on this Mercer team last year was their lack of a serious 3 point threat. Yeah, they had kids that could shoot the 3, but not really any 3 point shooters. James is a 3 point sniper, period. Much more difficult to zone them now.

I agree with a lot of what you said but will disagree on one part. Mercer does already have some kids that can score, but they do so in a way that's very different than James. Looking at his stats, there wasn't a better 3 point shooter in the state last year (47%). My knock on this Mercer team last year was their lack of a serious 3 point threat. Yeah, they had kids that could shoot the 3, but not really any 3 point shooters. James is a 3 point sniper, period. Much more difficult to zone them now.

Great point, I really did not have that insight to the ways they score or the lack of a 3 point sharp shooter. I do agree adding a sharpshooter now makes it more difficult to zone them.

If Mercer does win it next year I hope EVERYBODY knocks them like they did Boyle County this year. All we heard was " Boyle couldn't win with Jeremiah Bell"...they had the get a transfer..blah, blah, blah. So what I'm saying is Mercer better win it all with all their "transfers" they got. PERIOD!

If Mercer does win it next year I hope EVERYBODY knocks them like they did Boyle County this year. All we heard was " Boyle couldn't win with Jeremiah Bell"...they had the get a transfer..blah, blah, blah. So what I'm saying is Mercer better win it all with all their "transfers" they got. PERIOD!

Everyone will "knock" them. How much depends on how well they do - the better they do, the more chirping you'll here!

There were several teams in the 12th region that had as many, or more, transfers than Boyle had last year. But they flew under the radar because they didn't do as well. Take it as a compliment when people are talking about you. It means you're relevant.

Preach!!!!!!!

For old-timers, is seems like Mercer's recent accumulation of talent has finally fun a full 180 degrees from the back-in-the-day loss of VonDale Morton LexCath in the 90s. Could this be their karma moment???

No matter, it now seems that the primary way to win seems rely solely on the accumulation of talent, AAU style. Not good for Kentucky high school b-ball overall, but in this instance, a positive break for the Titans (ex. Scotties). Could we be witnessing the birth of a new entity - the "KHS-AAU" (ha, ha)? Heaven forbid!

It's always AAU's fault. Can we blame shark fishermen for this too?

It isn't fault, it is the culture of coaches and schools.

No one builds a team from the ground up anymore, no one promotes coaches from middle school up.

People hire coaches based on what connections they have, what players they can get, or agendas in the school.

I don't think that is the case in Mercer though.

• 7 months later...

The James gang left Mercer this week. In assuming they will be back at Sheldon Clark after their spring break. I really enjoyed watching Dylan play, and my son is going to miss Trey as well. These guys are a real class act, and we wish them the best as Titans!

The James gang left Mercer this week. In assuming they will be back at Sheldon Clark after their spring break. I really enjoyed watching Dylan play, and my son is going to miss Trey as well. These guys are a real class act, and we wish them the best as Titans!

Yep, good guys, wishbthem the best. Keep on "feeling dangerous" out on that court Dylan...hang 50 on somebody this yr for ur Titan Brothers!!