Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region Draw Announced

Featured Replies

Where is the tournament being played?

 

Not sure what the official name is these days, but it's always at the Florence Freedom's park

  • Replies 56
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other piece......which of the pitchers will adjust to the turf mound and which ones will.... have seen it in the past.....pitchers that averaged less than 1 walk per outing, think too much about footing and walk 5 or 6 in regionals

 

Also...much faster surface. Who adjusts and who doesn't

Turf mound? Why would they play the regional on a field with a turf mound? I have never been there but do ANY other fields have turf mounds?

Turf mound? Why would they play the regional on a field with a turf mound? I have never been there but do ANY other fields have turf mounds?

 

No. They play at Florence Freedom park because of the venue and being able to play four games in one day rain or shine, unless it storms or is raining all day.

Agree on the mound, I hate it. Brown should yank it and dirt that area, that's how just about every college turf field is. Not much to a tarp to keep it dry when that is the only area to worry about. I've seen rainy games at that place where pitchers could hardly maintain their balance, far worse than mud.

Note on the mound: The Freedom installed a brand new turf mound. This one is a lot better than the previous one according to those who have pitched on it. The footing is better. Feedback from high school and college players has been very good supposedly this spring.

Note on the mound: The Freedom installed a brand new turf mound. This one is a lot better than the previous one according to those who have pitched on it. The footing is better. Feedback from high school and college players has been very good supposedly this spring.

 

 

I pitched a lot "back in the day" and had no idea they had turf mounds now. Is this something common in minor leagues or college baseball? It is hard for me to believe they would make the pitchers pitch off of something they don't pitch off of the whole year. If guys are slipping at all, sounds like injuries waiting to happen.

Not a big fan of the turf mound or the turf home plate area .Hopefully, the good feedback on the new mound is correct. Pitchers don't get good traction and start using more arm than body.

Is there any type of turf shoe that is better than the others for that type of turf?

Not a big fan of the turf mound or the turf home plate area .Hopefully, the good feedback on the new mound is correct. Pitchers don't get good traction and start using more arm than body.

Is there any type of turf shoe that is better than the others for that type of turf?

 

I think the plastic, molded baseball cleats are probably the best. Still, lots of guys just wear gym shoes, which is a disaster waiting to happen.

Ripken in Myrtle Beach has dirt mound & dirt home plate. Everything else is turf. Best setup going. They also have the personnel to get all the fields tarped very quickly.

 

The other issue at FF is that they do not allow metal spikes. (BTW - Ripken does on their turf.) Odd to have to change from the spikes you have been wearing all season to a different pair OR just gym shoes. Comfort & familiarity is important to baseball players.

 

All that said, FF is still currently the best place hold the 9th Region. Ability to count on the schedule and play multiple games on Memorial Day is very nice. I heard over the weekend that 1 of the Louisville Regions (assume there are more than 1?) does 1st round game at #1 seed and then Semis & Finals at Jim Patterson Field at UofL. I kinda like that as well. Gives some additional advantage to winning the district in a format where they need all the help they can get.

Agree on the mound, I hate it. Brown should yank it and dirt that area, that's how just about every college turf field is. Not much to a tarp to keep it dry when that is the only area to worry about. I've seen rainy games at that place where pitchers could hardly maintain their balance, far worse than mud.

 

That would entail paying somebody to do it. I get the feeling he does not want to.

I'm pretty sure every team in this field has played at least once at Florence Freedom this season... I know a few of them have played several times there already this season... So, in other words, I think the players and coaches know exactly what to expect and will adjust accordingly...

Looking forward to a good tournament.

I think for being a runner up in their district, Cov Catch got a pretty good draw. The only problem is Ziegelmeyer in the first round.

 

I think Ryle got a pretty good draw. The only problem is DHS, who has pretty solid and deep pitching.

Does anyone have a link to the online tickets?

I think Ryle got a pretty good draw. The only problem is DHS, who has pretty solid and deep pitching.

 

I think it's fair to say that each of the contending teams in the bottom portion of the bracket were the beneficiaries of a good draw. As far as who the contenders are, we'll find out shortly. Should be a fun day.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.