Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Cal, UK closing in on a contract extension

Featured Replies

$54 mil over 7 years.

 

This deal would extend Cal's contract for one additional season paying him $ 8 Mil for the last year of his current deal. Cal's contract would now keep him at Kentucky through 2021-22 season. He will receive a $1.6 mil longevity bonus on July 1. The new contract is expected to be finalized within the next few days.

 

According to 247 Sports

  • Replies 33
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the purpose of this extension? I'm confused.

 

Paging David Blatt.

Paging David Blatt.

 

A contract extension won't stop him from going to the NBA if he decides he wants to go.

^ I guess it gives him 8 million additional reasons not to go. Only a few coaches making that kind of money in the NBA right now.

If Coach Cal is wondering about the NBA versus UK, here are some good arguments in UK's favor - Scott Brooks, Monty Williams, David Blatt, Tom Thibideau. All four coached successful NBA playoff teams and all four very well may be out of a job by the end of their season.

Edited by Voice of Reason

What is the purpose of this extension? I'm confused.

Cause they can.

I said a few years ago he's worth 10 mill a year to the state of KY.

A contract extension won't stop him from going to the NBA if he decides he wants to go.

 

It ensures that he leaves on his own terms. I fully believe Cal will leave before he fulfills the contract.

It ensures that he leaves on his own terms. I fully believe Cal will leave before he fulfills the contract.

 

I do as well. 2022 is a ways away.

^ I guess it gives him 8 million additional reasons not to go. Only a few coaches making that kind of money in the NBA right now.

 

He won't get that 8 million until 2022 though right? This is a hollow gesture.

Cause they can.

 

Yeah. Figured that part out. Just curious as to the need to add one more year onto a contract that doesn't expire until the 2021-22 season. Seems pointless. If he never leaves UK I guarantee that when 2022 rolls around he'll be making a lot more than 8 million per year to coach at UK.

I said a few years ago he's worth 10 mill a year to the state of KY.

 

I would argue more.

IMO his type of deal is more for recruiting then anything. I am sure other coaches use the "Cal will probably leave for the league soon" against him. While he may leave tomorrow, in case he doesn't it gives him leverage against that talk in the recruiting game!

I said a few years ago he's worth 10 mill a year to the state of KY.

 

I agree. I'm biased, but I think he's worth every penny that he's getting paid and then some.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.