Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Better Freshmen Trio?

Who was the better Freshmen Trio? 19 members have voted

  1. 1. Who was the better Freshmen Trio?

    • 2012 Kentucky - Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Teague
      63%
    • 2015 Duke - Okafor, Winslow, and Jones
      36%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Well, who was the better freshmen trio?

 

2012 Kentucky - Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Teague

 

2015 Duke - Okafor, Jinslow, and Jones

Hard to say... mostly because I don't know how to take them as a group. If talent were measured in buckets of water then the 2012 UK group has numerous buckets that are positively overflowing simply because Anthony Davis was a generationally gifted player.

 

However, I do think that all three players on the 2015 Duke list are superior to the one I would consider the No. 3 player on 2012 UK: Teague.

 

So while 2012 Kentucky likely has the highest level of overall talent given the superior quality of Davis, 2015 Duke might have the more consistent range of talent.

 

I'm voting 2012 UK.

If I am looking at college with no consideration of NBA factors, I am picking UK. Davis was soooo good he makes up for any advantage the other two Duke players may have. MKG was comparable to Winslow as a college player. Jones is better in college than Teague but not by as wide a margin as it may seem like.

  • Author

I'm glad that I didn't respond to my own thread right away because I think @Getslow just said what I wanted to say, but he said it much better than I would have.

 

I think its a lot closer of a debate than most of my fellow BBN fans would want to admit.

No one comes close to Davis. No one comes close to MKG's leadership but I had to go with Dukes trio only because I'd take their 2nd and 3rd player over MKG and Teague

AD will be the greatest player to ever put on a UK jersey. That team was special. I'd take the 2012 trio everyday

I agree though, Teague is the weak link

I'm going Kentucky, simply because Anthony Davis is going to end up as one of the best basketball players to ever play the game. He's a once in a lifetime talent. I think Winslow, Okafor, and Jones will all have better pro careers than Teague or MKG though.

Davis is by far the best of the six. Duke has the better group as a whole. Slightly.

Davis - A plus, MKG - B plus, Teague- C

Okafor - A, Winslow - A, Jones - B plus

Davis >>>>> Okafor

MKG = Winslow

Teague

 

I will defend Teague in the sense that he was pretty darned good by the end of the season. I personally thought he was the 2nd or 3rd best PG by the end of the season. Once he figured out things UK was a nightmare on offense .

Maybe it's tough for me to put UK's trio above Duke's because of Teague. I look at this years freshmen PG's and strongly feel if Ulis got the amount of playng time Teague got then Ulis would have clearly been the better of the 2.

Davis is the only one who gets the nod over the Duke trio.

 

Winslow is just as good a defender as MKG and much better and more versatile offensively.

 

Same goes for Tyus v Teague. Just as good defensively. Better and more versatile offensively. I'd also argue Jones is a better pure pg than Teague was as far as handling the ball and controlling the game the way an elite pg should.

 

Duke trio got my vote.

 

Neither group faced the toughest road to win a championship but I do think Duke had a tougher championship opponent than UK did when they won it.

Winslow is not as good a defender as MKG IMO. He's a great defender at the NBA level and has been since he came in the league.

 

2012 would have beat this Duke team like they did everyone in that tournament. Davis is the best talent to play in college since Duncan.

I'll take the group of Cats.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.