Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Wisconsin 71 Kentucky 64

Featured Replies

The part of coaching that involves motivating players to play as a cohesive whole he is very good at. A very , very, VERY good salesman is Coach Cal. The X's and O's and strategical part, he's no K. Just OK , but no K.

 

Then again he hasn't lost to a Mercer or Lehigh or VCU in the first two rounds of an N c a a either.

 

I'm not believing he's equal to K but hey, he's had more great wins than bad ones.

  • Replies 240
  • Views 36.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a UK fan who readily admits there are a lot of crazy UK fans out there. But as I read all the stuff posted here and elsewhere since the Wisconsin loss, I now believe there may be more crazier anti UK fans than pro UK fans

I still see some who talk about ND getting robbed by the "non-basket." :ohbrother:

This is what makes Coach Calipari a GREAT coach. People act as if coaching is all about X's and O's. That is only half the battle in today's game.

 

Agree 100%. What he has done this year, with this team has been just amazing. Not many /any coaches could have done what he has.

I am a UK fan who readily admits there are a lot of crazy UK fans out there. But as I read all the stuff posted here and elsewhere since the Wisconsin loss, I now believe there may be more crazier anti UK fans than pro UK fans

 

Agreed.

He can recruit. Not coach.

Where is all

the criticism for coach K? You all crack me up. Keep hating and talking about things you have no clue about.

The part of coaching that involves motivating players to play as a cohesive whole he is very good at. A very , very, VERY good salesman is Coach Cal. The X's and O's and strategical part, he's no K. Just OK , but no K.

I'm putting him up

with and possibly ahead of Coach K.

 

If Cal got the horrible losses in the tourney that Coach K has had recently he would

have been run out of town. Cal has 1 bad loss/season since being here and that was 1 year they went to NIT. He has 4 final 4's in last 5 years

 

Coach K has 3 freshman starting

this year yet zero criticism like cal has gotten. It's a joke.

Agree 100%. What he has done this year, with this team has been just amazing. Not many /any coaches could have done what he has.

 

 

Agree. He does an amazing job at getting these guys to buy in to working as a team. If he doesn't have a degree in psychology, he should have.

Since we are on the topic of comparing K and Cal - I just can't bring myself to put Cal above or close to Coach K.

 

While Duke has had it's first round exits, I can't remember the last time Duke let their program fall over so bad that they took a first round NIT loss to Robert Morris. If we're going to talk about past losses, then that needs to be said first because that is by far the worst.

 

I am willing to hear out people who may think Cal is better than Coach K, but I need some evidence other than the three years of first round exits in the 15+ tournament appearances.

Since we are on the topic of comparing K and Cal - I just can't bring myself to put Cal above or close to Coach K.

 

While Duke has had it's first round exits, I can't remember the last time Duke let their program fall over so bad that they took a first round NIT loss to Robert Morris. If we're going to talk about past losses, then that needs to be said first because that is by far the worst.

 

I am willing to hear out people who may think Cal is better than Coach K, but I need some evidence other than the three years of first round exits in the 15+ tournament appearances.

 

The last 6-8 years, they are about on equal ground IMO. Assuming Duke wins tonight, which I firmly believe they will, he'll inch ahead of Cal.

 

Overall coaching body of work belongs to K, though. A strong argument can be made that he's the best of all-time in the college ranks. It's either him or Wooden.

Since we are on the topic of comparing K and Cal - I just can't bring myself to put Cal above or close to Coach K.

 

While Duke has had it's first round exits, I can't remember the last time Duke let their program fall over so bad that they took a first round NIT loss to Robert Morris. If we're going to talk about past losses, then that needs to be said first because that is by far the worst.

 

I am willing to hear out people who may think Cal is better than Coach K, but I need some evidence other than the three years of first round exits in the 15+ tournament appearances.

I will take on the task. I will also include UK's loss in the NIT for you.

I will compare both since 2005 season including this season (11 Seasons total) Coach K all with Duke and Cal with Memphis and UK in that timeframe.

Coach K including this season has only made it past the 3rd round of the tournament 3 times.

Coach Cal has made it past the 3rd round 8 times.

 

Wins in the NCAA Tournament in the past 10 years

Coach K 23 wins

Coach Cal 35 wins

Also let it be known that Coach K was in the tournament more times (11 since and including 2005) compared to 8 by Coach Cal yet has more than 10 less wins.

 

NCAA Final Four appearances

Coach K 2

Coach Cal 5

 

NCAA Tournament wins/losses since 2005 - 2014 (This year isn't over so left those numbers off but if you want to say Duke wins tonight you can add 6 wins to Coach K's total and add 4 to Coach Cal's and it still isn't close)

Coach K 10-9

Coach Cal 31-7

 

Not even close, Cal dominates over coach K's tournament record since 2005

 

 

 

 

Saying Coach Cal simply gets the best players is false also. coach K has had more top recruiting classes. just since 2002 they have had no less than 6 recruiting classes ranked between 1st and 3rd, several others ranked in the top 10. So to think Cal just wins because he gets the players, what is Coach K's excuse for losing more than Cal when he also gets the players?

 

There will always be Cal haters because there will always be UK Haters. I just wish those haters would judge others the same as they judge Coach Cal. Numbers don't lie. Just since 2005 Coach Cal has more wins in the NCAA tourney, more final 4 appearances and more championship game appearances in the last 11 seasons.

Edited by Hellbird

Since we are on the topic of comparing K and Cal - I just can't bring myself to put Cal above or close to Coach K.

 

While Duke has had it's first round exits, I can't remember the last time Duke let their program fall over so bad that they took a first round NIT loss to Robert Morris. If we're going to talk about past losses, then that needs to be said first because that is by far the worst.

 

I am willing to hear out people who may think Cal is better than Coach K, but I need some evidence other than the three years of first round exits in the 15+ tournament appearances.

 

1995.

I will take on the task. I will also include UK's loss in the NIT for you.

I will compare both since 2005 season including this season (11 Seasons total) Coach K all with Duke and Cal with Memphis and UK in that timeframe.

Coach K including this season has only made it past the 3rd round of the tournament 3 times.

Coach Cal has made it past the 3rd round 8 times.

 

Wins in the NCAA Tournament in the past 10 years including this year so far

Coach K 23 wins

Coach Cal 36 wins

Also let it be known that Coach K was in the tournament more times (11 since and including 2005) compared to 8 by Coach Cal yet has more than 10 less wins.

 

NCAA Final Four appearances

Coach K 2

Coach Cal 5

 

NCAA Tournament wins/losses since 2005 - 2014 (This year isn't over so left those numbers off but if you want to say Duke wins tonight you can add 6 wins to Coach K's total and add 4 to Coach Cal's and it still isn't close)

Coach K 18-9

Coach Cal 32-7

 

Not even close, Cal dominates over coach K's tournament record since 2005

 

 

 

 

Saying Coach Cal simply gets the best players is false also. coach K has had more top recruiting classes. just since 2002 they have had no less than 6 recruiting classes ranked between 1st and 3rd, several others ranked in the top 10. So to think Cal just wins because he gets the players, what is Coach K's excuse for losing more than Cal when he also gets the players?

 

There will always be Cal haters because there will always be UK Haters. I just wish those haters would judge others the same as they judge Coach Cal. Numbers don't lie. Just since 2005 Coach Cal has more wins in the NCAA tourney, more final 4 appearances and more championship game appearances in the last 11 seasons.

Had to correct tourney wins. I fat fingered one of the numbers in the original post.

Agree with the bolded above Sandman. I'm not that big of a Calipari fan. Xs and Os just aren't his strong suit. Just an honest question, but are we seeing cracks in support of his basketball philosophy with regards to BBN?

 

I don't think so. I think UK fans decided a long time ago they liked Cal, and UK fans are nothing if not loyal.

 

Cal can recruit. And, he can get the recruits to buy into the team before me package. That makes him better than a lot of coaches.

 

We agree on his in-game coaching. So, like I said, you get what you get.

 

I'm sure BBN will turn up the heat on Cal a little next year, only because Duke won another one this year. But, at the end of the day BBN sticks with Cal until he decides to move on.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.