March 31, 201511 yr I am a bit surprised there isn't a thread on this already, especially with all the twitter people on BGP. Chris Webber was on Mike & Mike this morning and proceeded to slam UK on several fronts. 1. He opened his comments by saying this is a great UK team in an attempt to cover what he knew he was about to say. Then he later said UK has to be considered a great team because of what they have accomplished BUT this team truly isn't that great. He said he wasn't even sure UK could beat the 1999 Illinois team. He said college basketball is down and UK is winning in a down era. He did not think they were one of the great teams ever. 2. He blasted WCS on several fronts. Greenie compared WCS to Andre Jordan and Webber went off. No way you can compare him to Jordan. CWebb said he hopes WCS has a pro career but he couldn't post up and score on 6'5" Connaughton of ND. He has no offense and you can't play in the NBA if you can't score. 3. Webber said (referencing WCS) if you are a junior in college, good luck on having a pro career. 4. Webber did give big credit to Cal and said UK is a very well coached team. Webber insinuated that coaching is why UK is 38-0. It was not only the content but the tone. Webber was clearly slamming UK in the tone of how he said the above and more. Thoughts?
March 31, 201511 yr He said he wasn't even sure UK could beat the 1999 Illinois team. The 1999 Illinois team was 14-18. I'm guessing he probably meant the 2005 team that lost to North Carolina in the championship game.
March 31, 201511 yr Much ado about nothing. I think UK fans just look for things to get up in arms about. CWebb's assertion about Willie and DeAndre Jordan was way off base though. Jordan averaged just 7.5 ppg and 6 rpg in college. Willie projects more of a Tyson Chandler though anyways.
March 31, 201511 yr He said college basketball is down and UK is winning in a down era. He did not think they were one of the great teams ever. The next old player to compliment a modern team will be the first. It was always better back then than it is now.
March 31, 201511 yr His concerns about Willie's offensive game are legit. He offeres opinions. No issues with him expressing them.
March 31, 201511 yr Author His concerns about Willie's offensive game are legit. He offeres opinions. No issues with him expressing them. I agree. WCS is offensively challenged. The player I think of in college to compare to WCS is Joakim Noah. Noah still can't shoot but he is a very good pro player.
March 31, 201511 yr He didn't post up the 6'5 ND guy because Towns was scoring at will on anyone. His offensive game has come a long way already and it will only get better in the league. He will be just fine. He's already started developing a little mid range game and that is going to be something they really work on in the NBA. This team doesn't need him to score. I'm not mad/upset about C-Webb for his opinion. I think he's wrong but that's not the first time. Heck look at his FT shooting improvement. 1st year - 37% 2nd year - 48% 3rd year - 61%
March 31, 201511 yr For the record, I do not think they are one of the "great teams ever" if you are talking about plucking a team from the time stream and dropping them in another. Of course, we have that generationally across any sport, ever, at least certainly below the pro level. I think the 1996 Kentucky team would drag this one through the mud. I'm not certain what team would beat some of the great UCLA teams. Different eras, different mindsets. In some cases, different rules. I honestly think this is so acknowledged that there isn't really a point in bringing it up. It's certainly not a hot take. The idea of not beating the 2005 Illinois team.... that's a bit different. That's basically this era. It's actually worse than this era given that was when high schoolers could still go straight to the draft (last year of that I believe), which meant that some of the players the caliber of which UK has weren't even in the college game at all. That was back when a single guy like Carmelo Anthony deciding to come to college could lift a team to a title. I have no difficulty believing that this Kentucky team could beat any of the teams that won it since 1996. They could lose to many of them too, but they certainly could beat them. I'm not fired up about it. But I will say after listening to Webber during the tourney and now this, I do have to really question just how good of an analyst he is.
March 31, 201511 yr He didn't post up the 6'5 ND guy because Towns was scoring at will on anyone. Not completely true. He had the ball in the post a few times with Connaughton on him and didn't do anything. No moves.
March 31, 201511 yr The 1999 Illinois team was 14-18. I'm guessing he probably meant the 2005 team that lost to North Carolina in the championship game. That sounds about like a Chris Webber reference.
March 31, 201511 yr As much as WCS loves the college life, would anyone be shocked if he came back for his Sr. season?
March 31, 201511 yr Not completely true. He had the ball in the post a few times with Connaughton on him and didn't do anything. No moves. Did he try to do anything? I don't recall him posting Connaughton up at all.
March 31, 201511 yr As much as WCS loves the college life, would anyone be shocked if he came back for his Sr. season? Yes. :lol2:
March 31, 201511 yr Author ^ Yes, LRCW, I would be shocked ... he needs to go now. His draft stock is as high as it ever will be IMO.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.