Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands Fans: Are you concerned CovCath will start beating the Bluebirds now?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 79
  • Views 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I seem to recall that after HHS lost to Collins in the 2013 state title game and Coach Mueller stepped down a week later, there was quite a bit of chatter on BGP that Highlands was going to be entering a period of decline.

 

Also, I seem to recall that at the beginning of the 2014 season a lot of people on BGP were talking about 2014 being the year that CovCath would knock off Highlands.

 

At some point (and maybe this year), CovCath will defeat HHS in varsity football. However, the state of Highlands football is currently quite strong, and I do believe that the success currently enjoyed by the CCH basketball program will work to the detriment on the CCH football program. I know many on here won't agree with me, but I do believe it.

 

Yeah, I'm not really sure I understand why you think basketball success works to the detriment of football. In a school of 570 boys (and growing) along with a new energy at the top, I think it's actually more likely that football takes off on its own high trajectory. Happens all the time at many schools.

Yeah, I'm not really sure I understand why you think basketball success works to the detriment of football. In a school of 570 boys (and growing) along with a new energy at the top, I think it's actually more likely that football takes off on its own high trajectory. Happens all the time at many schools.

What schools the size of CCH has that happened at lately?

What schools the size of CCH has that happened at lately?

 

Off the top of my head- teams like. Bowling Green, John Hardin, Lexington Catholic, Dixie. Heck, even Highlands had a good run not too long ago.

Newport Central has had terrific success in both for a 2A school.

One class up there of course schools like Trinity, Ballard and Scott Co.

I'm sure I could make a case for several more but I think I've made my point. The two sports can be equally successful. Not sure why anyone would think they couldn't.

I've read about Coach Eviston's offense and knowledge of the game being a factor, but the big thing I see him bringing to CovCath is "excitement". And, that is dangerous to other teams.

I've read about Coach Eviston's offense and knowledge of the game being a factor, but the big thing I see him bringing to CovCath is "excitement". And, that is dangerous to other teams.

 

Ram - I understand where you're coming from. But, what's most dangerous to other teams is beating them.

 

I hope that's where this goes. But, I do like the hire, as I am a fan of young, energetic minds. I think they connect better with high school student athletes. I hope this is the beginning of something fun. But at this point, it's just hope.

The base of Eddie's offense is exactly what gives Highlands defense fits and that is the dive. From there, lots of motions into pitches, lots of play action, a little option, and a ton of ball fakes. It really is fun to watch. In 2012, he had more of a pocket passer and NewCath utilized more shotgun and spread principles. Eddie adjusts well to what his talent is. I see him utilizing a more direct approach against the Birds bc it is tough to outflank that speed without a threat in the middle.

 

The dive gives Highlands fits? and you base that on what? Certainly not the state game of this year. If I recall, Highlands shut that team out in the second half and has been able to contain Johnson Central on more than one occassion.

The base of Eddie's offense is exactly what gives Highlands defense fits and that is the dive. From there, lots of motions into pitches, lots of play action, a little option, and a ton of ball fakes. It really is fun to watch. In 2012, he had more of a pocket passer and NewCath utilized more shotgun and spread principles. Eddie adjusts well to what his talent is. I see him utilizing a more direct approach against the Birds bc it is tough to outflank that speed without a threat in the middle.

 

...please tell me his quarterbacks will at least LEARN how to take snaps under center.

The dive gives Highlands fits? and you base that on what? Certainly not the state game of this year. If I recall, Highlands shut that team out in the second half and has been able to contain Johnson Central on more than one occassion.

 

Seriously, do you take every thing that may question the overall dominance of Highlands as a personal assault? Did you not watch when teams that were as talented, or more talented than Highlands beat them, or at least push them to the limit, it is through being able to establish the running game between the guards. Please tell me that you've seen that. It is the natural soft spot of the 3-4.

...please tell me his quarterbacks will at least LEARN how to take snaps under center.

 

W/ Hightchew I'd say over 70% of the snaps were from under center. Helps when you have Chris Kelly and Dylan Hayes as your dive back.

I don't see his hire effecting things at Highlands at all. They will just keep doing what they do and the train will roll on. As a NKY football fan I'd love to see the rivalry become competetive again as it makes for some great football. I think the program that may have the most to fear by this is NCC. I think Eddie may just pull one or two kids a year from NCC to CovCath even if that is not his intention. One or two kids a year can really have a negative impact on a program the size of NCC's, especially if they are impact players.

I've read about Coach Eviston's offense and knowledge of the game being a factor, but the big thing I see him bringing to CovCath is "excitement". And, that is dangerous to other teams.

 

Don't need to see the Rowdies any more "excited".

Seriously, do you take every thing that may question the overall dominance of Highlands as a personal assault? Did you not watch when teams that were as talented, or more talented than Highlands beat them, or at least push them to the limit, it is through being able to establish the running game between the guards. Please tell me that you've seen that. It is the natural soft spot of the 3-4.

 

Yes when comments are flawed like yours. Teams were as talented or more talented beat them? So we talking about Elder and Christopher Columbus? They would beat every team in NKY by multiple scores and most if not all schools in Kentucky. And which teams established the running game between the guards? I will wait to hear from you on this.

I don't see his hire effecting things at Highlands at all. They will just keep doing what they do and the train will roll on. As a NKY football fan I'd love to see the rivalry become competetive again as it makes for some great football. I think the program that may have the most to fear by this is NCC. I think Eddie may just pull one or two kids a year from NCC to CovCath even if that is not his intention. One or two kids a year can really have a negative impact on a program the size of NCC's, especially if they are impact players.

 

 

Interesting possible thread. "How will CCH's hiring of EE affect NCC's ability to keep their own"?

Yes when comments are flawed like yours. Teams were as talented or more talented beat them? So we talking about Elder and Christopher Columbus? They would beat every team in NKY by multiple scores and most if not all schools in Kentucky. And which teams established the running game between the guards? I will wait to hear from you on this.

 

I'll PM you so I don't hijack the thread.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.