Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands Fans: Are you concerned CovCath will start beating the Bluebirds now?

Featured Replies

Yes, the playoff history is: CCH - 88 and 94. HHS - 89 and 92. They did not meet in 87 or 93 in the playoffs.

  • Replies 79
  • Views 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a good hire for CCH to me. I hope he is successful there. I don't want this to sound elitist because I really don't mean it to be but when one team wins 13 in a row (current streak), how much of a rivalry is it? I feel the same way about this hire as I did about Michigan's of Harbaugh (as an OSU fan). He will make the rival of my favorite team better - I am all for it because the rivalry will now be better again, which is a good thing IMO.

 

I am actually more concerned with how HHS will be next year than CCH. I know some people are worried about the QB play next year. When is the last time people were worried about the QB at HHS??

Eddie will need to get the Colonels preparing like the Birds. I have no doubt that he will. NewCath was in tremendous physical condition while he was there. This will make the games much more interesting. Remember, Eddie grew up in Ft. Thomas. He's not a Highlands fan, as my boys will tell you.

 

I'm thinking he's about to become even less of one in the next few years. :cool:

Sounds like a good hire for CCH to me. I hope he is successful there. I don't want this to sound elitist because I really don't mean it to be but when one team wins 13 in a row (current streak), how much of a rivalry is it? I feel the same way about this hire as I did about Michigan's of Harbaugh (as an OSU fan). He will make the rival of my favorite team better - I am all for it because the rivalry will now be better again, which is a good thing IMO.

 

I am actually more concerned with how HHS will be next year than CCH. I know some people are worried about the QB play next year. When is the last time people were worried about the QB at HHS??

 

Ask any Highlands player(or fan) " what is your goal for this season?" They will say "beat Cov-Cath and win a state title." Yea, it is still a rivalry. (Been saying this for decades.)

 

Not concerned at all.

 

Several years ago there were six players trying to get the starting QB job. Lots of talent at the QB spot for the Birds.

Someone needs a new avatar.

 

1342172007_stir_the_pot_66219454052.gif

Someone needs a new avatar.

 

1342172007_stir_the_pot_66219454052.gif

 

So true. Very funny.

Coach Eviston obviously has a nice resume. Those close to him speak in the highest way possible. The talk around KY is Covington Catholic offered him too much money to pass up. I suppose the positives could go on and on and on.

 

With all that said, as a Highlands fan are you concerned, worried, or worse that the hiring of Coach Eviston is the beginning of the end of Highlands domination over CovCath?

 

This really is a serious question. In other words, if you are on the CovCath side of the fence you just hit a grand slam, but what is the feeling on Highlands side of the fence?

 

Who can be more objective here? CovCath fans or Highlands fans?

 

I'm always concerned that CovCath will start beating the Bluebirds. The latest new coach in Park Hills doesn't amplify or alleviate that concern. It seems like just last fall the decline of Highlands -- new coach, untested QB, less talent, etc -- was a concern to some. But, things worked out ok.

 

And, I will subjectively state that Highlands fans are more objective.

I'm always concerned that CovCath will start beating the Bluebirds. The latest new coach in Park Hills doesn't amplify or alleviate that concern. It seems like just last fall the decline of Highlands -- new coach, untested QB, less talent, etc -- was a concern to some. But, things worked out ok.

 

And, I will subjectively state that Highlands fans are more objective.

 

You may be right, but I will subjectively state that the objectivity of Highlands fans has rarely been tested, if ever, in the BGP era. Fair to say? You are very fortunate to be associated with such a strong program. Hopefully, CCH can challenge someday soon and put your fan base's objectivity to the test. Until that happens, I don't think we'll ever really know.

Cov cath was very competitive with Highlands, year in and year out from 1987-1997. In that ten year period, CCH won 5 state titles. Everything went down hill for the Colonels when coach Ray left. There were a couple of coach Ray's later seasons that were not victorious against Highlands but they were quite competitive. The dominance didn't start until after coach Ray retired. I admit...it's embarrassing. I promise Eddie Eviston will reverse the trend and even things out. Cov cath has needed new blood for quite some time.

  • Author
I'm always concerned that CovCath will start beating the Bluebirds. The latest new coach in Park Hills doesn't amplify or alleviate that concern. It seems like just last fall the decline of Highlands -- new coach, untested QB, less talent, etc -- was a concern to some. But, things worked out ok.

 

And, I will subjectively state that Highlands fans are more objective.

 

Thanks Butters.

 

I always wanted to say that.

I seem to recall that after HHS lost to Collins in the 2013 state title game and Coach Mueller stepped down a week later, there was quite a bit of chatter on BGP that Highlands was going to be entering a period of decline.

 

Also, I seem to recall that at the beginning of the 2014 season a lot of people on BGP were talking about 2014 being the year that CovCath would knock off Highlands.

 

At some point (and maybe this year), CovCath will defeat HHS in varsity football. However, the state of Highlands football is currently quite strong, and I do believe that the success currently enjoyed by the CCH basketball program will work to the detriment on the CCH football program. I know many on here won't agree with me, but I do believe it.

Thanks Butters.

 

I always wanted to say that.

 

You're the best Guru.

  • Author
You're the best Guru.

 

Certainly depends on who you ask.

 

All kidding aside, I don't want this thread to get off track.

The base of Eddie's offense is exactly what gives Highlands defense fits and that is the dive. From there, lots of motions into pitches, lots of play action, a little option, and a ton of ball fakes. It really is fun to watch. In 2012, he had more of a pocket passer and NewCath utilized more shotgun and spread principles. Eddie adjusts well to what his talent is. I see him utilizing a more direct approach against the Birds bc it is tough to outflank that speed without a threat in the middle.

Eddie will put competitive teams on the field every year. Beating Highlands may take some time to complete.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.