Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Second Biggest Men's College BB Rivalry

Featured Replies

I definitely want to make it to a Showdown some time...

 

I got tickets this year as a Christmas present....very surprised.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does the fact that Duke/UNC play twice in a given year have any impact on their rivalry? If so...does it make each game more or less important?

 

I'm glad Kentucky and Louisville only play once a year. In my opinion, as a fan, it definitely makes the game more important.

 

Hard to have bragging rights when you split the season 1-1. And then if they play each other in the conference tournament, the two previous games don't matter at all.

 

The key in all of this, the importance to the fan, not the program or players.

  • Author
The biggest rivalry is relative to where you live and what teams you follow. With the annual Crosstown Showdown coming up, I'd say UC and Xavier think theirs is the biggest rivalry around.

 

Tennessee/Vanderbilt

Auburn/Alabama

Ole Miss/Miss St.

Notre Dame/Purdue

 

and on, and on, and on.....

 

Yeah, I should have specified nation wide. In other words, if you were to ask a random selection of people West of Mississippi River, who the best two rivalries were, Duke and UNC would for sure be given but who would get the nod for the other rivalry. Maybe it is UK and UofL. I just assumed I could not answer that fairly living right in the middle of it.

 

You mention Notre Dame and Purdue, during the Bobby Knight and Gene Keady (however you spell it) era, IU and Purdue was a great rivalry.

 

UK vs IU was another great rivalry during the Knight era also. Was it UK or Notre Dame that ended IU's winning streak? I think ND ending UCLA's and UK ended IU's. I can't remember.

UNC/Duke is number one. Naturally second is UK/UL. That being said I see Duke/Syracuse going to be a big rivalry as well as Duke/UL in coming years.

Georgetown/Syracuse before the Big East went nuts was a top 5 rivalry for sure.

UK/UL is No. 1.

 

Duke/UNC is No. 2.

 

You can interchange the top 2 but those 2 stand alone, IMO.

Georgetown/Syracuse before the Big East went nuts was a top 5 rivalry for sure.

 

Buddy from NY who now lives in WKY has always claimed this was second only to UNC/Duke.

Xavier and UC hate each other.

I would say less important in terms of the rivalry, but more important because it actually has an impact on the success of the season, being in conference together.

 

Also 2, if you can get me a pair of Duke/UL tickets under 100 a piece that'd be great. K thanks.

Xavier and UC hate each other.

 

No they don't. Xavier fans and UC fans hate each other, perhaps, but the Administrations don't, and the athletic departments don't.

I was curious how UK/UL is viewed on the national scene. First list I googled had them 8th or 9th. No way. Second or third at a minimum and over the most recent years it has to be tops.

I know this isn't in the top of rivalries but I enjoyed the Xavier/UC rivalry back when is was nasty, not fisticuffs nasty, just kind of on the edge.

....

 

In my marginally unbiased opinion, I'd have UNC / Duke #1 and UK / UL #2. Beyond that, they become pretty regionalized in College Hoops, as an example, Cal / Stanford is a HUGE rivalry out there, but that game is meaningless East of the Rockies. Arizona / Arizona State is another good one. Oklahoma / Okie State is one of my favorites. UC / Xavier is a good rivalry, aided both by proximity, and the fact that the two fan bases share just about everything else in common (love of the Reds, the Bengals, Skyline, WEBN Fireworks, etc.).

 

Any of the Philly 5 games are awesome as well, especially at the Palestra. Temple / Nova was always my favorite.

....

 

In my marginally unbiased opinion, I'd have UNC / Duke #1 and UK / UL #2. Beyond that, they become pretty regionalized in College Hoops, as an example, Cal / Stanford is a HUGE rivalry out there, but that game is meaningless East of the Rockies. Arizona / Arizona State is another good one. Oklahoma / Okie State is one of my favorites. UC / Xavier is a good rivalry, aided both by proximity, and the fact that the two fan bases share just about everything else in common (love of the Reds, the Bengals, Skyline, WEBN Fireworks, etc.).

 

Any of the Philly 5 games are awesome as well, especially at the Palestra. Temple / Nova was always my favorite.

 

I was thinking of those Philly Five games, too. If I remember: St. Joseph's, LaSalle, Temple, Penn and Villanova.

Duke/UNC and UK/UL are 1a and 1b, imo. Those are the two best rivalries in the nation, a and b are decided year by year, depending on how good each team is.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.