January 6, 201511 yr Kansas and Missouri was pretty good before Mizzou left. Mizzou and Illinois are a rivalry worth mentioning as well.
January 6, 201511 yr On a much smaller scale, back in the 90's Kentucky Wesleyan and Southern Indiana games were crazy with Ray Harper and Bruce Pearl on the sidelines. With the GLVC tournament and the NCAA tourny they would often meet 4 times a year with each usually being ranked in the top 5 or so. I miss those days.
January 6, 201511 yr Duke vs UNC always will get the publicity as the number one rivalry, but I think because they're in the same conference and play twice, and sometimes more than that during a season, it waters their rivalry down somewhat. I actually think where UK vs UL play only once per season, unless they meet in the postseason, that it is slightly better rivalry. Those two only get one opportunity for bragging rights, and another chance won't come around again until the next season. That's a lot of pressure. I would rank UK - UL 1a and Duke - UNC 1b.
January 6, 201511 yr I would say less important in terms of the rivalry, but more important because it actually has an impact on the success of the season, being in conference together. What effect does the NCAA tourney have on the UL/UK rivalry over UNC/Duke? If I'm not mistaken the Devils and Heels have never met in the tourney, have they? While UK/UL have met in the modern era in 1983 (Original Dream Game), 1984, 2012 and 2014. Those games alone were pretty rivalry fueled and excellent games in terms of competition. (Largest margin was the original Dream Game in Overtime)
January 6, 201511 yr 1 - Duke/UNC 2 - UC/Xavier 3 - Michigan/Michigan St 4 - UK/Uof L and for a period of time UMass/Temple
January 7, 201511 yr 1 - Duke/UNC 2 - UC/Xavier 3 - Michigan/Michigan St 4 - UK/Uof L and for a period of time UMass/Temple UC/X has zero national impact. As long as Cal and Rick are the coaches it's hard to beat UK/UL
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.