December 1, 201411 yr I shouldn't be... But admittedly, I was caught off guard by the idea that dead beat black dads were the reason white people were racist... I can't see any other reason why they would be...
December 1, 201411 yr I guess I'm making an inherent assumption that race relations is an issue because it erects barriers to economic opportunity and that is the root reason for the focus on race relations. Getslow : If you look at the data I posted previously, you will see that divorce rates among blacks are higher than other ethnic groups. Hence, maintaining family function is a bigger issue in this ethnic group. Okay. I've never felt like maintaining a functional family has played a part in race relations. IMO, race relations is an issue because it is an issue that has never been truly resolved and has been continually swept under the rug after all the finger pointing ruins discussion.
December 1, 201411 yr I shouldn't be... But admittedly, I was caught off guard by the idea that dead beat black dads were the reason white people were racist... When did this topic become about the reasons white people are racist? I thought it was 'Do Blacks Have Any Role in Improving Race Relations" ??
December 1, 201411 yr I shouldn't be... But admittedly, I was caught off guard by the idea that dead beat black dads were the reason white people were racist... Communicating the values of commitment to marriage and family, aggressive pursuit of secondary and higher education, and personal responsibility from generation to generation will go a LONG way in improving race relations. Blacks can improve race relations by committing to making their families and communities more successful. Step one is committing to their children and their spouses for a lifetime. That is the role blacks can play in improving race relations.
December 1, 201411 yr I shouldn't be... But admittedly, I was caught off guard by the idea that dead beat black dads were the reason white people were racist... It's not the same but you can't just discount what he's saying when it speaks to the various stereotypes that white people have of black people, If you want to continue having dialogue, you have to dig deep and find out the reasons white people are upset with blacks and vice versa. Does the perception of dead beat black dads add to the racial undertones that some white people have?
December 1, 201411 yr Communicating the values of commitment to marriage and family, aggressive pursuit of secondary and higher education, and personal responsibility from generation to generation will go a LONG way in improving race relations. Creating those conditions equally will as well.
December 1, 201411 yr When did this topic become about the reasons white people are racist? I thought it was 'Do Blacks Have Any Role in Improving Race Relations" ?? Yeah, and it appeared like we were headed to deadbeat black dads are the reason race relations are like they are. We got it figured out now though. Thanks.
December 1, 201411 yr It's not the same but you can't just discount what he's saying when it speaks to the various stereotypes that white people have of black people, If you want to continue having dialogue, you have to dig deep and find out the reasons white people are upset with blacks and vice versa. Does the perception of dead beat black dads add to the racial undertones that some white people have? Apparently. :lol2:
December 1, 201411 yr It's not the same but you can't just discount what he's saying when it speaks to the various stereotypes that white people have of black people, If you want to continue having dialogue, you have to dig deep and find out the reasons white people are upset with blacks and vice versa. Does the perception of dead beat black dads add to the racial undertones that some white people have? I don't know, ask a racist white guy... I know just as many white guys who don't take care of their kids as black guys. Using that logic, we would be insinuating that it's black people's fault that white people are racist towards them. Are we REALLY going to believe that? Like really??
December 1, 201411 yr I shouldn't be... But admittedly, I was caught off guard by the idea that dead beat black dads were the reason white people were racist... Just so there is no confusion. My point had nothing to do with deadbeat black or white dads. I did link poverty associated with single mothers to the generational welfare and the entrapment associated. I feel our society will be benefitted by programs to give a hand-UP which impacts both black and white single-parent families.
December 1, 201411 yr When did this topic become about the reasons white people are racist? I thought it was 'Do Blacks Have Any Role in Improving Race Relations" ?? When somebody tried to tie the two together... We're getting back on track, I think.
December 1, 201411 yr I don't know, ask a racist white guy... I know just as many white guys who don't take care of their kids as black guys. Using that logic, we would be insinuating that it's black people's fault that white people are racist towards them. Are we REALLY going to believe that? Like really?? The bolded... That is why I was questioning it. I actually think that's one area where white males and black males are close. Maybe it's just me. I'm sure there are statistics on it.
December 1, 201411 yr It's not the same but you can't just discount what he's saying when it speaks to the various stereotypes that white people have of black people, If you want to continue having dialogue, you have to dig deep and find out the reasons white people are upset with blacks and vice versa. Does the perception of dead beat black dads add to the racial undertones that some white people have? When fathers abandon their children, it communicates that it is acceptable to do so by the next generation.
December 1, 201411 yr Apparently. :lol2: Ok yes. Apparently it does. Perception is reality. So do blacks have any role in changing that perception? Racist whites certainly aren't going to change it so if blacks have no role in race relations, again, we are stuck at a crossroads with no changes. You have to have dialogue to change that thinking and not just laugh it off.
December 1, 201411 yr Ok yes. Apparently it does. Perception is reality. So do blacks have any role in changing that perception? Racist whites certainly aren't going to change it so if blacks have no role in race relations, again, we are stuck at a crossroads with no changes. You have to have dialogue to change that thinking and not just laugh it off. That's a predominantly white person problem. They are using it as a reason to be racist. There are plenty of white deadbeat dad's to be mad at. Could the black community help change that, sure.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.