Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do Blacks Have Any Role In Improving Race Relations?

Featured Replies

IMO, you are discounting how large of a role the bolded plays into it.

 

Completely agree on the the second part.

 

That plays a large role into it. Now how do white people make most blacks understand that everything that goes their way isn't because of race?

 

 

That's the million dollar question.

  • Replies 265
  • Views 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree it's a big part of the problem... I hate when black people use race as an excuse for something that CLEARLY has nothing to do with the situation.

 

That said, it's still not the biggest issue.

 

Agree

He may not be an idiot, but he said idiotic things. Post #13 is one good example. The Ike and Tina analogy is bad, as Randy said.

 

And again it's all about perception. The analogy is spot on for me.

 

Old money? You've never heard of old money? People being born into money or marrying into money? Those people end up being the ones who rule countries, states, counties and cities. Old money. That's what he means by that. How many of the old money people that he is talking about are black?

They were also spot-on when both Rich and Rock mentioned that class plays a bigger role in race discussions than most people are willing to talk about.

That wasn't my intent. All white people aren't racist, and I've never thought that. When I said "overwhelming majority," I meant that white people are the majority of the racism problem, not that the overwhelming majority of white people were racist...
See, I don't agree white people are the majority of the racism problem. When my son was dating a black woman, most of the racist comments came from the black community, not the white. They were far less accepted by blacks as a couple. Sure, there were plenty of racists whites too, but the majority of issues came from the side I didn't expect it to.
See, I don't agree white people are the majority of the racism problem. When my son was dating a black woman, most of the racist comments came from the black community, not the white. They were far less accepted by blacks as a couple. Sure, there were plenty of racists whites too, but the majority of an issues came from the side I didn't expect it to.

 

 

You're looking at one aspect of it. Chris Rock is talking about the monetary, powerful, we-make-the-rules, systematic and instutionalized racism. That's two different things. Black people have proven to be just as bad as some white people when it comes to interracial dating. That's two different conversations.

You're looking at one aspect of it. Chris Rock is talking about the monetary, powerful, we-make-the-rules, systematic and instutionalized racism. That's two different things. Black people have proven to be just as bad as some white people when it comes to interracial dating. That's two different conversations.
Okay, I think you're right, I am looking at it from the wrong angle.
See, I don't agree white people are the majority of the racism problem. When my son was dating a black woman, most of the racist comments came from the black community, not the white. They were far less accepted by blacks as a couple. Sure, there were plenty of racists whites too, but the majority of an issues came from the side I didn't expect it to.

 

There are absolutely racist black people. No question about it, and I've seen it in similar situations to the one you described. On the grand scale, it is not even remotely close to the racism in the other direction.

Both white and black need to listen and put stereotypes aside. I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Neither side seems to want to listen when the other side brings up uncomfortable things to discuss. It's really pretty sad.

There are absolutely racist black people. No question about it, and I've seen it in similar situations to the one you described. On the grand scale, it is not even remotely close to the racism in the other direction.
I don't agree that there's that much of a divide, but as PP92 says, it's all about perception. The only thing I can find in agreement with you on that point is there are more white people in American than black.

Have not read the whole thing, but I think as long as we continue to admit that there is an inequality, there will be. Racism will exist forever, no question about it. But as long as we continue to bring up inequality and admit there is a difference, there will be a difference.

 

Take Black History Month for example. I have no problem with it; celebrating history is a great thing. But because we celebrate it separate from "white history," we will always keep the two groups separate.

Best part I have read so far. Hits home for real.

 

 

Your own kids are all girls, right?

All girls. I mean, I almost cry every day. I drop my kids off and watch them in the school with all these mostly white kids, and I got to tell you, I drill them every day: Did anything happen today? Did anybody say anything? They look at me like I am crazy.

And you think this change is generational? That maybe it has nothing to do with Obama?

It’s partly generational, but it’s also my kids grew up not only with a black president but with a black secretary of State, a black joint chief of staff, a black attorney general. My children are going to be the first black children in the history of America to actually have the benefit of the doubt of just being moral, intelligent people.

Have not read the whole thing, but I think as long as we continue to admit that there is an inequality, there will be. Racism will exist forever, no question about it. But as long as we continue to bring up inequality and admit there is a difference, there will be a difference.

 

Take Black History Month for example. I have no problem with it; celebrating history is a great thing. But because we celebrate it separate from "white history," we will always keep the two groups separate.

 

If this is the "ignore the racism, it will go away approach," that absolutely will not work.

 

I do agree with you about your point on Black History Month. I've thought it should be done away with for a long time.

Before Obama arrived, you were saying that there’d been Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, and then black leaders in America became like substitute teachers.

I mean, you got to realize, there’s not a need for it the way there was. Back then, we needed that guy for our day-to-day existence. Now you only feel the need in special cases. So, okay, Ferguson goes down. You’re like, Oh, it’d be great if we had a guy.

When Al Sharpton goes down to Ferguson, it feels like a media ritual rather than an actual civil-rights action.

It’s a revival, where King was doing an original play. It’s a good part. The lead is open.

 

Chris Rock craps on Al Sharpton. Surely folks like that, right? :lol2:

If this is the "ignore the racism, it will go away approach," that absolutely will not work.

 

I do agree with you about your point on Black History Month. I've thought it should be done away with for a long time.

 

I am not saying this at all (not that you accused me of saying it). I mean that there will always be racists out there and there is nothing we can do about it.

 

Because of that there is likely no sure solution to creating 'equal' race relations. But I think we can improve them by cooling down the acknowledgement of the situation.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.