Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do Blacks Have Any Role In Improving Race Relations?

Featured Replies

Stop being racist for starters. :lol2:

 

Racism is learned. Babies aren't born being racist, so when white people hear others teaching racist habits, they need to call them on it. Correct each other in public when something racist is said, instead of sweeping it under the rug because there are no black people around. I really feel like self-policing would be a HUGE help in fixing this issue. Make it embarrassing for someone to be racist or make racist comments. People make those comments because they are comfortable, make it uncomfortable. Don't ask your sons and daughters if their boyfriends/girlfriends are white or black. It doesn't matter. (Black people can do the same on this one.) Don't worry about what your racist friends have to say about how you live your life, or what your kids are doing...

 

I think more people than not are doing that.

 

Like you said no one is born a racist...it is learned at home, on the street and in our workplaces and schools.

  • Replies 265
  • Views 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really, because I think in that time inequality was much worse than today (for example, interracial marriages were heavily looked down upon whereas today they are more widely accepted).

 

I think MLK [obviously] did it best: peacefully protest.

 

I agree things are better today. I also think things were better in the 1960s than they were in the 1860s. The history of racial progress in this country has not been a pleasant one. Rock is right to say that racial progress is just a heuristic for black people being treated better by white people.

 

At each turn in this history of racial progress there have been people saying "enough." At every landmark in this history there have been people who have said things are equal, stop complaining. But, things changed because people were demanding it. The country was forced to reckon with it at each of these turns.

 

I don't believe that just because the laws of segregation have been taken off the books that racial progress has reached its end, just as those who didn't believe the doctrine of separate but equal was the end. Things are much better, but there is still widespread prejudices baked into our society (and it isn't this notion that there are some white people who hate black people, and some black people who hate white people, so they just offset).

 

I agree things are better, hotels and restaurants now have to serve all people, regardless of color, for example, but, for another, if you have a black sounding name you're less likely to get called back for a job interview. So, it's better, but not perfect, why is it off limits to bring up?

I agree things are better today. I also think things were better in the 1960s than they were in the 1860s. The history of racial progress in this country has not been a pleasant one. Rock is right to say that racial progress is just a heuristic for black people being treated better by white people.

 

At each turn in this history of racial progress there have been people saying "enough." At every landmark in this history there have been people who have said things are equal, stop complaining. But, things changed because people were demanding it. The country was forced to reckon with it at each of these turns.

 

I don't believe that just because the laws of segregation have been taken off the books that racial progress has reached its end, just as those who didn't believe the doctrine of separate but equal was the end. Things are much better, but there is still widespread prejudices baked into our society (and it isn't this notion that there are some white people who hate black people, and some black people who hate white people, so they just offset).

 

I agree things are better, hotels and restaurants now have to serve all people, regardless of color, for example, but, for another, if you have a black sounding name you're less likely to get called back for a job interview. So, it's better, but not perfect, why is it off limits to bring up?

 

You make valid points and I think we are in agreement. It doesn't need to be off limits to bring it up -- like I said, racism will always exist therefore it will always be prevalent.

 

I just think that the constant reminder that racial relations are not where they need to be slows the process down. Like you said, if we ignore that fact (racial relations are not where they need to be) will not work. In the same way, I think if we constantly bring that point up it can slow the process down.

Elect me POTUS and I'll figure something out. I promise. :D

 

#disregardmyskeletons

 

Create the National Administration of Basketball, make me the basketball Czar...and you got my voter.:thumb:

Elect me POTUS and I'll figure something out. I promise. :D

 

#disregardmyskeletons

 

I would definitely vote for you if it weren't for the fact that you'd have those nasty Dukies at the WH all the time! :taz:

That is the Million Dollar Question I agree, but Blacks will never listen to Whites on this subject, that change has to come from within the black community. The is no way I can tell a Black person how they should feel or react to a situation.

 

Disagree. The black community is at the "show and prove" point. Talk is cheap. Blacks aren't going to listen to whites because blacks will say we've been saying this for decades and nobody has been listening. Why continue to talk? What is there the black community can change about their role in race relations? Blacks in the inner city will say that they didn't ask to be put where they are. They'll say they didn't ask for white flight and for their neighborhoods to be ignored and left for condemnation. They'll say they want the drugs and thugs off of their streets and that they want safer neighborhoods. When people think of the inner city and where a majority of the black community we are talking about resides until an agreement is made about how those inner cities got into the condition they are in now the conversation is an exercise in futility for a lot of black people. The systematic destruction of black people began a long time ago and until that wrong is made right the first steps of racial relations and racial equality are hindered.

I would definitely vote for you if it weren't for the fact that you'd have those nasty Dukies at the WH all the time! :taz:

 

I'd be fair. I'd only have them up when they won titles just like everyone else.

 

And maybe when they beat UK. :D

I'd be fair. I'd only have them up when they won titles just like everyone else.

 

And maybe when they beat UK. :D

 

So what you're saying is they'll never be there?! :ylsuper:

Create the National Administration of Basketball, make me the basketball Czar...and you got my voter.:thumb:

 

I got love for you but I have other cronies I need to take care of first. :D

So what you're saying is they'll never be there?! :ylsuper:

 

Ehhh, I can always bring the 1992 team up for a celebration every March.

I think blacks play a huge role in race relations. As a matter of fact, my black friend will be joining me at the gym soon, and I'll buy him a popcorn, and he better eat it if he plans on keeping up our relationship.:popcorn:

 

And while I kid, I just wish it was as simple as that. But it's not. And I wish I had some revelation of an answer.

I havent got time to read the whole interview.

I have always liked him in movies and comedy.

 

To improve race relations it will obviously have to be with both sides taking part.

 

IMO I dont know exactly how a black person feels obviously as they dont know how I feel either.

 

There are racist on both sides.

 

I dont fear a black guy getting my job or passing me up for promotion. So Affirmitive Action is no concern to me, but I also feel the best person should get the job regardless of race. I mean do I want a white guy as my doctor who isnt as good as a Ben Carson, I want the best possible color.

 

Im sick of the RACE CARD from both sides, especially the Dem Party. Everything isnt about race.

 

Im sick of the N WORD, its either a racist word or it aint, if it is then the blacks need to quit using it themselves, even if they are using it as an example in songs or calling themselves this, etc. It just adds fuel to the fire for whites to use it and say if they can I can, blah blah blah.

 

Every white cop who shoots a black person isnt commiting a crime, civil rights suit, cause for protest, just like if a black cop shoots a white guy, no reason to think he is doing for racial reasons. COPS have a hard job and there are plenty of criminals of both colors to deal with.

 

I think we need more black cops also.

 

There are dead beat black dads just like there are dead beat white dads. Neither are worth crap.

 

Drugs are not a color problem, drugs dont discriminate. I dont feel blacks are any more a drug addict than a white person.

 

I feel there is a bad problem in inner city black on black crime, I have no clue on what to do to stop it.

 

There are plenty of great black and white role models.

 

I get tired about hearing about slavery in 2014, there isnt a single black person alive who was a slave and probably not even their parents were.

 

I love being able to joke about race with another black guy, it makes life easier.

I think blacks play a huge role in race relations. As a matter of fact, my black friend will be joining me at the gym soon, and I'll buy him a popcorn, and he better eat it if he plans on keeping up our relationship.:popcorn:

 

And while I kid, I just wish it was as simple as that. But it's not. And I wish I had some revelation of an answer.

 

GEEKED!!!!!!

I got love for you but I have other cronies I need to take care of first. :D

 

Assistant Secretary of the office. I ain't greedy.:sneaky:

Assistant Secretary of the office. I ain't greedy.:sneaky:

 

Nobody likes a beggar!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.