When is it time to sub the end of the bench?

Often times on threads I see people talking about how it is wrong to run the score up on teams. I am unclear on when this point comes in a game. I agree that it is not right to embarass an opponent by any means, but whose job is it to throw in the towel. To me if my team is getting beat miserably I would expect my coach to send in his/her scrubs before the team with the lead does. This is like throwing in the towel. You don't expect a boxer beating the crap out of an oppenent to stop hitting, same way with basketball. I see a lot of games when a team is getting beaten badly and the team getting beat still has three or four starters in the game in the closing minutes, but after it is all over the coach the picks up the "W" is criticised for the score. I was just wondering what others thought were on this matter.

In my opinion, coaches should not sub down to the end of the bench until the fourth quarter if there is a substantial difference in your bottom five and your top five. Its like running a horse. Every horse needs a good workout just to stay hungry. The playing rotation (usually top 7 or 8 players) should stay in the game and play hard for three quarters. Regardless of where a kid is on the roster, he shoud be encouraged to play as hard as he can at all times. The fourth quarter of a blowout game is a great time to groom next years rotation. It is a good time to keep coaching. It is easier to point out little mistakes when you are up by 30 than it is when you are trying to win a close game. It is also easier to pay personal attention to a particular player in a blowout.

Mercy is not a requirement in basketball or any other sport and really should not be tolerated. A coaches responsibilities are to his own players not the opposing teams players. The kids on the floor should be trying to win by as much as possible at all times. Let the opposing coach deal with his kids humiliation. All you can do is play your entire squad. Remember that the time the bottom five spend on the court is as important to them as it is to any other player. Beating your opponents brains out is doing him a favor because it should be a motivator to work harder . It also shows the losers how much progress they need to make, to be competitive. Brutal beatings also tend to cast a bright light on inferior coaches that need to be fired for their own players sake.

The Mutt says pour it on them.

:banana: