Bell County Week 8 Review

It took overtime for Corbin edged Bell County 21-20. Both teams were held scoreless in the first qtr.Bell County led Corbin 7-0 at the half with a 3 yard touchdown run by Treyton Humfleet with 2:49 to play in the second qtr.. In the second half Corbin got on the board with a 68 yard TD pass to Kenny Hopper from Corey Taylor to tie the game at 7 all with 7:18 left in the 3rd qtr. Corbin's next score came with 5:23 left in the 4th qtr from a 1 yard run by Jake Coppock to make the score 14-7. The Bobcats then marched down the field and scored on a 3 yard pass to Cole Frazier from Peyton Collett with 1:23 left to play to tie the score at 14 all. Going into overtime Corbin receives the ball first only needing to plays to score. Taylor connects with Hopper once again on a 7 yard pass to take the lead at 21-14. On Bell's possession in OT the Bobcats scored on a 5 yard pass on third down to Chase Woolum from Collett. Bell elected to go for the win and came up short on the failed pass attempt.

With Corbins win it gives the Redhounds their first district title since 2008. It was another great matchup between these 2 programs. Both of these teams could meet again in the playoffs for the regional title. Corbin improves to 7-1 and Bell drops to 6-2 on the season. Bell host Mcreary Central this week and Corbin travels to Casey Co.

What do you feel are Bell's biggest questions and issues entering November?

How is their health?

Thanks ATLCat. I feel like I put this together for nothing sometimes. There overall health if good Hayden Gilbert was injured during the Whitley Co game and could possibly return in the playoffs. I think that Bell's biggest hurdle could be if they get to the second round going to Louisville Central to face the Yellow Jackets. Then would face Corbin again for a rematch if they make it to the 3rd round. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

^^

I like Bell's defense a lot. I think they have a good enough defense to give them a chance in every playoff game they play. Not the fastest defense, but they are big, strong, and very fundamentally sound.

From what I have seen out of Bell the weak link is their lack of home run hitters on offense. They have a huge O-line and they have some tough backs who run hard and can grind out yards, but I am not seeing that guy like a Robbins or a Davenport who can make a man miss then take it to the house. For Bell to score they either have to put together a drive with 10+ plays or they have to "out-execute" you and have the defense make a mistake either with a blown assignment or being out of position.

That Central game could be really interesting for this purpose. I think Bell will move the sticks and keep the clock running. Possessions will be at a premium. The question will be can Bell finish a 13 or 14 play drive going 3 or 4 yards at a time? I am not sure they can. In that case can they find a couple big plays against the much faster Central team? I think Bell will keep Central's offense very much in check. Conversely the fear there is can Bell avoid those 1 or 2 plays where Central outflanks them and get outside with their speed?

I am thinking it will be a grind it out war.

^^

I like Bell's defense a lot. I think they have a good enough defense to give them a chance in every playoff game they play. Not the fastest defense, but they are big, strong, and very fundamentally sound.

From what I have seen out of Bell the weak link is their lack of home run hitters on offense. They have a huge O-line and they have some tough backs who run hard and can grind out yards, but I am not seeing that guy like a Robbins or a Davenport who can make a man miss then take it to the house. For Bell to score they either have to put together a drive with 10+ plays or they have to "out-execute" you and have the defense make a mistake either with a blown assignment or being out of position.

That Central game could be really interesting for this purpose. I think Bell will move the sticks and keep the clock running. Possessions will be at a premium. The question will be can Bell finish a 13 or 14 play drive going 3 or 4 yards at a time? I am not sure they can. In that case can they find a couple big plays against the much faster Central team? I think Bell will keep Central's offense very much in check. Conversely the fear there is can Bell avoid those 1 or 2 plays where Central outflanks them and get outside with their speed?

I am thinking it will be a grind it out war.

Me too. If Gilbert can get back he has the speed to run with Central to give them a weapon. Their defense is really good. I hope that they can play Corbin again.