Report: “Many in football” believe Browns will take Derek Carr

So let me get this straight. Don't take Watkins at 4 because WR class is deep but take QB at 4 because that's their need? The QB class is not slim itself. Plus the QB's that everyone keeps talking about no one is sold on. Manziel, Bortles, etc. they all have red flags.

Yes the Browns need a QB but you don't take one just to take one with the 4th pick.

The Browns almost ALWAYS wait until later in the draft, or the first round (Weeden/Quinn) to get a quarterback. I'm saying if they believe there is a guy that is their qb of the future, you take him at pick 4. You don't risk waiting around, you take your guy. If he is the qb of the future, he is worth it at pick 4. There's only going to be so many good qb's out of the class, that's just the way it is, where as wide receivers are a lot easier to come by. Not to mention, they had the leading receiver in the NFL last year and where did it get them? 4-12 and another last place finish that's why. You HAVE to have a QB to win in this league, plain and simple. They could get Calvin Johnson and AJ Green too and it won't matter if they don't have a QB.

I'd much rather take a chance of drafting the guy they believe is the qb of the future than something else. Watkins, and any player for that matter, is not guaranteed to be good either.

Uhh yeah absolutely they should. So a guy you think can be the quarterback of the future isn't worth the 4th pick? Glad you're not the GM.

Why waste the 4th pick on a guy who isn't considered top 20? Many solid QB's have been drafted out if the top 5 picks and have went on to do quite well. Maybe even a certain Super Bowl winning QB from this year.

Why waste the 4th pick on a guy who isn't considered top 20? Many solid QB's have been drafted out if the top 5 picks and have went on to do quite well. Maybe even a certain Super Bowl winning QB from this year.

And maybe all those teams missed the mark on him badly... that could be the case too. If the Seahawks took him 4th instead of when they did, and he went on to play how he has and won the Super Bowl, would anyone blink an eye? Nope. And that's what i've been saying, IF the Browns believe someone is going to be their guy for the foreseeable future, you take him when you can and don't risk it.

And maybe all those teams missed the mark on him badly... that could be the case too. If the Seahawks took him 4th instead of when they did' date=' and he went on to play how he has and won the Super Bowl, would anyone blink an eye? Nope. And that's what i've been saying, IF the Browns believe someone is going to be their guy for the foreseeable future, you take him when you can and don't risk it.[/quote']

You're contradicting yourself. You don't HAVE to take him 4th if you can get him later.

Okay so you're the GM and you take Carr 4th even though he isn't expected to be a top 20 pick and may even fall to early 2nd round due to later teams not needing a QB. He turns out to be another Ryan Leaf and he's awful. In pretty sure you'd catch more flak for that than taking a proven top 5 talent and trying to draft a similar style QB in the late stages of the 1st round and not getting Carr.

You're contradicting yourself. You don't HAVE to take him 4th if you can get him later.

Okay so you're the GM and you take Carr 4th even though he isn't expected to be a top 20 pick and may even fall to early 2nd round due to later teams not needing a QB. He turns out to be another Ryan Leaf and he's awful. In pretty sure you'd catch more flak for that than taking a proven top 5 talent and trying to draft a similar style QB in the late stages of the 1st round and not getting Carr.

I'm not contradicting myself at all. You keep saying he isn't expected to be taken in the top 20. You're basing that off of what, mock drafts? I've seen him listed all over the place in the first round, the thing is no one knows where certain guys will go, there are always surprises in the draft. My point, for the final time is, if you think a guy is your Quarterback for the next 10-15 years and you truly 100% believe it, then you take him with the 4th pick. The Browns have gone for the "safe pick" (which no player is a guarantee) for years. I'd much rather them take a chance to hit on the QB they believe in than draft another wide receiver or something like that. Will it work? Maybe not, but at least they'd be trying instead of remaining status quo.

Has Cleveland had a QB that you'd take for your team? Last I remember was Brian Sipe and that was a LONG time ago. Just go to show how important having the 'right' QB can be to the success of a franchise.

We’ve (the Browns) spent years over a decade not reaching for a QB to take top tier talent and where has that gotten us? 5 freaking wins every year basically. I’m done with the risk averse approach to drafting.