If Kentucky wins tomorrow

LRCW

I don't think Cal would like the NBA too much. I love him as a College coach but I also think his ego won't fit in at the NBA where he will be on an even playing field with his millionaire players. I think that was PItinos biggest problem in the M

NBA. He just doesn't have the same pull as he would at the college level.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enough money will get anyone to leave. He probably wants to stay at 5mil, but let's say Cuban offers him 10 mil. He'd be gone! UK fans have a whole different frame of reference, they are always going to be loyal to the Blue, to Coach Cal it's a job, a great one mind you, but a job. You are kidding yourself if you think it is anything else. He and we know a couple of years like last year in a row and fans will call for his head. That's just a fact in big time coaching.

Enough money will get anyone to leave. He probably wants to stay at 5mil, but let's say Cuban offers him 10 mil. He'd be gone! UK fans have a whole different frame of reference, they are always going to be loyal to the Blue, to Coach Cal it's a job, a great one mind you, but a job. You are kidding yourself if you think it is anything else. He and we know a couple of years like last year in a row and fans will call for his head. That's just a fact in big time coaching.

Coach K made 9.6 million in 2011. Cal can make 10 million in a year at UK if he wants to.

Coach K made 9.6 million in 2011. Cal can make 10 million in a year at UK if he wants to.

The $$ figure is not my point in this one. I just threw out an arbitrary number. He would leave for money, he is not married to UK, it's a job, maybe a passion. But he doesn't owe UK anything other than what they pay him annually for the results he usually gets. Maybe if they gave him a lifetime contract with no possibility of being released, unless he does something immoral or illegal, then it would be different.

The $$ figure is not my point in this one. I just threw out an arbitrary number. He would leave for money, he is not married to UK, it's a job, maybe a passion. But he doesn't owe UK anything other than what they pay him annually for the results he usually gets. Maybe if they gave him a lifetime contract with no possibility of being released, unless he does something immoral or illegal, then it would be different.

Cal isn't about the money, he turned down more money from Memphis to go to UK. Cal is all about the challenge of helping people succeed with their dreams. He can only really do that at the college level. Cal will only leave UK if there is a challenge worth battling that he can't accomplish at UK

I'll be shocked if Cal ever leaves and if he does it will be the dumbest move of his career. He should retire from UK. The opportunity he has right now is what coaches should dream for. If he leaves he is an idiot. Period. Point blank. Straight up.

Him leaving UK is synonymous with Coach K, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams even Rick Pitino leaving for other jobs. Utter stupidity.

I'm a Duke fan and I'll be pissed if Cal ever leaves UK for another job. IT WILL NEVER GET BETTER THAN THIS, JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He just needs to look at Pitino to see what he should do.

Cal isn't about the money, he turned down more money from Memphis to go to UK. Cal is all about the challenge of helping people succeed with their dreams. He can only really do that at the college level. Cal will only leave UK if there is a challenge worth battling that he can't accomplish at UK

You may be right that he will stay, but nobody really knows that. He may have been in different place in his life, different career and personal goals, different circumstances when he left Memphis, only he and his close family members and a few circle of friends probably know what he wants.

Some people get bored, want different challenges, want to live in a different place, want another challenge, who knows. I find it hard to believe he would take another college job, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.

I just believe it is naive to think otherwise. We all believe he is more than likely set financially for life, but that is not a certainty either.

I'll be shocked if Cal ever leaves and if he does it will be the dumbest move of his career. He should retire from UK. The opportunity he has right now is what coaches should dream for. If he leaves he is an idiot. Period. Point blank. Straight up.

Him leaving UK is synonymous with Coach K, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams even Rick Pitino leaving for other jobs. Utter stupidity.

I'm a Duke fan and I'll be pissed if Cal ever leaves UK for another job. IT WILL NEVER GET BETTER THAN THIS, JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its simple because being the coach of UK is a great job and a dream job but also one of the most stressful jobs. You could just look at the coaches who have coached here and how quickly they seem to age while here haha.

I believe Coach Cal even said it himself that UK is the type of job that a coach can only stay at for about 8 to 10 years at most. He is completely right when he calls our fanbase crazy! Its the best fan base in the country when things go well, and one of the toughest fan bases when things aren't going well. Just look at this year for example, we just won a title two years ago. However this season was not going as planned early on and people including UK fans questioned his coaching, his getting one and done players, etc, etc and the season wasn't even over yet. Which hopefully this run keeps at least UK fans from ever question his coaching style again.

Coaching at UK is a very stressful but rewarding job and he is definitely the perfect guy for it. I hope he never leaves, however I do think he will take another stab at the NBA if the right opportunity comes along.

Best post in the thread.

Other posts make valid points too, but at the end of the day this is just a job. If another one comes along that he deems better, well that's his call.

Everyone does remember that it was only a month ago that there was active discussion here about Cal's time at UK being done, correct? Cal seems to be the kind of guy who leaves with them wanting more, rather than a guy who is leaving while they say "don't let the door hit you on the way out."