Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brilliant Play or Dumb Defense?

Featured Replies

It's a good play kinda cheap but it worked. Defense had no idea it was coming just like a pick in the half court you can't see coming. On your teammates to let you know.

Sure, smart play by the inbounding team, and not something the defense is usually even looking or prepared for. Personally I think this should be looked at in the rules as a no call, but by definition I guess it meets the requirements to be called a foul as currently written.

Extremely cheap play, IMO. Probably wouldn't call it if I were an official.

By rule, it has to be called. But agreed, an extremely cheap play for sure.

Cheap as it may be, you can't run over a player even if he does not have the ball (good call from the coach, good execution by the offensive player, & bad awareness by the defense). The referee told the player that the defender better be laying on top of the offensive player. Sure enough, he was.

I don't know, but I certainly I wouldn't call it "dumb defense". At first blush, it looked pretty close to a moving pick to me.

The screen almost doesn't look set in time.

 

I thought the same thing.

 

I actually saw a Billy Clyde UK team try this move. I thought it was brilliant at the time. It didn't work, but I give it an A for effort.

 

In the video here, the guy that took the charge was almost late getting set up. Close call, here. Could have been done much better, but effective nonetheless.

This play is about all you can do when you are in that situation. The inbounding team should've known that. Therefore, I vote "dumb."

I don't get the thought that this is a "cheap" or "bush" play. It's a legal play. It's no different than any other pick play.

 

If you say you wouldn't call it then you can't be an official. You have to call it if a foul occurred.

Conner tried this in the 90s against Ryle in a tourney game if I remember correctly. Got the call as hoped. Sadly, the kid missed the FTs.

I thought the same thing.

 

I actually saw a Billy Clyde UK team try this move. I thought it was brilliant at the time. It didn't work, but I give it an A for effort.

 

In the video here, the guy that took the charge was almost late getting set up. Close call, here. Could have been done much better, but effective nonetheless.

I remember the UK play and they got screwed in not getting the call. It helped spawn an SEC Storied documentary however :D

Cheap? Sure. Smart? Absolutely. It's also almost never called. I saw a high school postseason game here four years ago with this same situation. They ran the play, player absolutely TRUCKED the guy attempting to draw the foul and the ref swallowed his whistle. Team lost by 1.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.