Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brilliant Play or Dumb Defense?

Featured Replies

Cheap? Sure. Smart? Absolutely. It's also almost never called. I saw a high school postseason game here four years ago with this same situation. They ran the play, player absolutely TRUCKED the guy attempting to draw the foul and the ref swallowed his whistle. Team lost by 1.

 

Not sure why people call this a cheap call. Even if there is no charge it gives the inbounder more freedom to make a long pass.

Brillant play, but it actually could of been called a foul on the offensive team. The guy was not set.

 

Still smart play and it reminds me of a Bob Knight play one time I saw when his team was tied with 1 second left and they were inbounding. They set up something very similar which drew a foul and they made their free throws to win.

I don't get the thought that this is a "cheap" or "bush" play. It's a legal play. It's no different than any other pick play.

 

If you say you wouldn't call it then you can't be an official. You have to call it if a foul occurred.

 

This. Nothing cheap about it. It's not like it's new or never been done before.

This. Nothing cheap about it. It's not like it's new or never been done before.

 

I've seen this play several times and it never gets called for the offense. I do recall some no calls and mostly fouls on the offense. Didn't Tubby try this play against UGA in the SECT a few years back?

I've seen this play several times and it never gets called for the offense. I do recall some no calls and mostly fouls on the offense. Didn't Tubby try this play against UGA in the SECT a few years back?

 

BCG against UGA. It was the tornado game played at 9:00 a.m. or whenever it was that Saturday at Georgia Tech's stadium. I believe it was Ramel Bradley and he got bulldozed.

I like it & we practiced this same play at times in high school.

 

I believe Pitino used a form of that play in a Senior Day home loss to South Carolina in 1997 (Gamecocks were really good that year). He didn't get the call & got ejected. I remember BCG trying it, but Pitino doing it was the first time I'd ever seen it in a game situation.

So everyone thinks it was the correct call? If both players are moving and arrive at a spot simultaneously, who is the foul on?

What would be a valid reason not to call it?

So everyone thinks it was the correct call? If both players are moving and arrive at a spot simultaneously' date=' who is the foul on?[/quote']

 

It was close. Picker has to be set before contact.

So everyone thinks it was the correct call? If both players are moving and arrive at a spot simultaneously, who is the foul on?

 

I thought it should have been a block. He was still moving. Smart play but bad call by ref.

It was close. Picker has to be set before contact.

 

Close enough to be called either way. If I am the ref, it would have been a block. I lean towards block over charge. To get a charge from me, it has to be a no doubter. For me, all close calls go against the person trying to draw the charge.

Edited by Voice of Reason

I agree... both. Small play call. Likely, their best option . Also, a bit dumb on the defense. You have to be aware. I could see a Harrison twin(or most UK players, for that matter) doing this to cost the team a game. They are not mental giants this year.

This play is about all you can do when you are in that situation. The inbounding team should've known that. Therefore, I vote "dumb."

I have reread this post. I meant to say the defending team is the dumb one.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.