Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mike Listerman

Featured Replies

Your vagueness is unfair to Coach L. It could cause some to think something serious occurred. It didn't. It was just time for a fresh face in the opinion of Bob Rowe.

 

Is taking away classroom time on a regular basis to run your lawn-care business serious? That appears to be the one thing that consistently sits high atop the list of issues that Coach Listerman faced at CCH. It appears some people didn't take well to a teacher spending classroom time on a daily basis running a side business.

 

There are a million other things that are always floating around, and I apologize, I wasn't trying to appear like anything nefarious occurred, but it is clear, as you said, it was probably time for a fresh face.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is taking away classroom time on a regular basis to run your lawn-care business serious? That appears to be the one thing that consistently sits high atop the list of issues that Coach Listerman faced at CCH. It appears some people didn't take well to a teacher spending classroom time on a daily basis running a side business.

 

There are a million other things that are always floating around, and I apologize, I wasn't trying to appear like anything nefarious occurred, but it is clear, as you said, it was probably time for a fresh face.

 

Two quick things:

 

1. NKOTB, welcome to the site. More the merrier, and I'm glad you jumped in. If you have any questions at all, while I'm not "green", I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.

 

2. Now that the niceties are out of the way, before we start tossing around allegations like a teacher being derelict in his duties, I hope there is more to go on here than the words of some parents that are bitter about Billy Bob not getting enough playing time. I know the end was ugly, I know there were anonymous letters sent and an anonymous players' survey which wasn't kind to Mike, but there is no reason to start unearthing skeletons at this late date.

 

Okay, I feel better, and like I said, truly, welcome aboard! You'll find the more you put into BGP the more you'll get out of it.

Coach L is a great coach an mentor period!

Mike Mike Mike......

I really like Mike. I have to be honest, for whatever the reasons are for Mike not being at CCH the simple fact is he definitely has not handled it well. To this day he still is ticked off and come hell or high water he is going to let the world know it. He has absolutely lost it the last few times they have played against each other. As others have stated he is holding something against Coach Ruthsatz and I can't figure out why. Coach Ruthsatz is a nice guy. Mike probably was treated the wrong way at the end but it is over. Sometimes Life hands you some bad stuff but it is what it is. Life is way to short to carry on like he has. Get over it and lets move on. He definitely has over stepped what an assistant coach is supposed to do on the side lines. To get into these rants on the sidelines is not healthy. Hopefully someone close to him will let him know how foolish it looks. Still love him, but time to move on.

Coach L and I are friends, as are myself and Bob Rowe. I can honestly say that Mr. Rowe labored over this decision, and it wasn't an easy one, nor was it a knee-jerk reaction to the letters, E/Mails, etc.. There was much disenchantment within the boys basketball program and in the community, to the point where potential Colonels were choosing to go elsewhere, and boys with the ability to contribute for CovCath at CovCath were not coming out. Bob Rowe is a former coach and drew his own conclusions about which way the program was heading. I'll just say this. Mr. Rowe was very loyal to Coach L, and Mike could have stayed at CovCath and lived out his teaching days, without losing a penny from losing his coaching job.

 

It was Mike who chose not to go quietly into the night, pulled up roots and hooked up with CovCath's top district rival. In retrospect Bob's decision was a good one and I doubt that few would want to turn back the clock. The CovCath hoops program under Scott Ruthsatz has overachieved and is once again looked up to by all involved in the CovCath program, and more importantly by the young athletes out there looking to make a high school choice.

Coach L. Is one heck of a guy.

 

I had coach for class twice and he was my home room teacher too. To say that all he cares about is winning isn't fair at all. I honestly feel that Coach L is one who genuinely cared about his students too. I mean, he took the last two weeks of class senior year to talk about life with our class. He absolutely cared.

The CovCath hoops program under Scott Ruthsatz has overachieved and is once again looked up to by all involved in the CovCath program, and more importantly by the young athletes out there looking to make a high school choice.

Has Covington Catholic really overachieved under Ruthsatz? I'm not trying to take away from their accomplishments by any means, just wondering about the overachieving comment. In the three years that they have been there they have been pretty good. They are pretty much what everyone has expected them to be since his first year and they have a shot at winning the region this year. From afar it looks like the staff is very solid and Ruthsatz will continue to build.

Cov. Cath. has always had solid feeder programs. Year in and year out they are always in the running for "B" team and Freshman Championships. That is not unusual.

I would imagine as more time passes, Listerman will cool down and the separation will be that much easier.

I am not buying the over-achievement comment either. Cov Cath has been a consistent threat to win the region for 50 years. The talent they get is top tier. I expect Cov Cath to be one of the top 5 teams in the region every year. They won the region in 2004 and 2006 under Listerman. Cov Cath under Ruthsatz is doing what they are expected to do IMO.

Two questions on this thread:

 

2. Why is it that when I enter the boy's forum I see three start next to this thread? What do those stars mean?

 

 

No one has addressed this question, and it has piqued my interest as well.

 

Anyone care to answer what the stars mean, and how they are assigned?

 

Thank you.

No one has addressed this question, and it has piqued my interest as well.

 

Anyone care to answer what the stars mean, and how they are assigned?

 

Thank you.

 

The stars mean the same as they do for recruits. The higher number of stars the better the thread is expected to be.

 

Hope that helps.

Last Year he got in Coach Ruthsatz face during halftime because he was talking to the referee about something. Last night he was yelling at the bench because Cov Cath coaches were asking the referee about a call he didn't make!

 

Big game Friday. Wonder if he will get in the face of the Highlands coach??

Last Year he got in Coach Ruthsatz face during halftime because he was talking to the referee about something. Last night he was yelling at the bench because Cov Cath coaches were asking the referee about a call he didn't make!

 

Last year's confrontation had nothing to do with referees; according to several direct eyewitness accounts it started with an exchange the two coaches had before the game. I know everyone here dislikes vague and mysterious posts, but in this case I feel obliged leave it at that out of respect for all parties. I only chimed in because I don't want misinformation to gain momentum.

It's one thing for an Assistant Coach to be screaming and hollering from the bench during the varsity game. What rubs me wrong is when he is doing the same thing, from the STANDS, during the JV game. Bush league IMO.

When I think of Listerman, I think of:

 

- the picture of him at Rupp with his arms around 2 of his kids who were crying

- the stories of him being a great teacher in the classroom

- the stories of him volunteering his time to the school for things like football games

 

 

I think it's unfortunate that a guy who the Covington Catholic faithful would have flogged anyone who ever muttered a bad word about him five years ago is so out of favor now.

 

If Covington Catholic let him go, he was well within his rights to go to Holmes. I don't see what the big deal is there.

 

As far as what some are saying about him and his behavior on the Holmes bench, I will say that, if much of what is said is true, that he probably has a longer leash because he was actually a well known and well respected head coach at one time. In short, he's sort of earned that right (to the longer leash with officials who are familiar with him).

 

I just have a really hard time comprehending how the guy goes from one extreme to the other with the Cov Cath faithful. I think that if there were issues with sideline antics, they would have been there while he was at Covington Catholic as well (although I do understand that they might have intensified lately).

I think it's unfortunate that a guy who the Covington Catholic faithful would have flogged anyone who ever muttered a bad word about him five years ago is so out of favor now.

 

 

His last few years at CovCath were ugly, and it was the CovCath "faithful" that were flogging him the hardest.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.