Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marcus Smart shoves fan

Featured Replies

If OSU told him to apologize or he wouldn't play, he apologizes. No question in my mind.

 

I find it hard that they would do that.

  • Replies 469
  • Views 54.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With this post, yes, you actually do.

 

 

If it comes out that he said it, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

 

If you were in Smart's shoes, a guaranteed top 10 pick regardless of whether you played another game this season, and you were 100% sure he used a racial slur, would you apologize to him?

I've said it a thousand times and I'll take it to my grave. It's a black thing. You wouldn't understand.

 

Isn't that the point of trying to have intelligent conversation on the topic? So that we can try to gain an understanding?

If it comes out that he said it, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

 

If you were in Smart's shoes, a guaranteed top 10 pick regardless of whether you played another game this season, and you were 100% sure he used a racial slur, would you apologize to him?

 

 

I answered this earlier. It would depend on the consequences. He was suspended by the Big 12, not Ok State. If I apologize is my suspension 3 games and if I don't apologize and take a stand what happens? Am I out for the year? Before I made any decision I would talk to my teammates. I am loyal to a fault so if my teammates told me to let it go and serve my time I would do so. I have a hard time believing that if he didn't apologize that his suspension would have still been 3 games. Not to mention, he did rush the stands and push a fan. Not one time have I said he shouldn't be suspended. I have said multiple times his suspension is fair. We don't know if he had a choice to take a stand or not. He chose to apologize and come back in 3 games and obviously join his teammates back on the court as soon as possible. Not to mention, suppose Orr did utter a racial slur or comment.....who looks like the bigger person now? Him or Smart?

Isn't that the point of trying to have intelligent conversation on the topic? So that we can try to gain an understanding?

 

 

I've been trying to give this understanding for years on here. It gets extremely frustrating at times when all I am doing is trying to explain the mindset of black people and folks tell you how wrong it is or that it's not like that for real or people don't talk like that anymore, etc, etc.

I answered this earlier. It would depend on the consequences. He was suspended by the Big 12, not Ok State. If I apologize is my suspension 3 games and if I don't apologize and take a stand what happens? Am I out for the year? Before I amde any decision I would talk to my teammates. I am loyal to a fault so if my teammates told me to let it go and serve my time I would do so. I have a hard time believing that if he didn't apologize that his suspension would have still been 3 games. Not to mention, he did rush the stands and push a fan. Not one time have I said he shouldn't be suspended. I have said multiple times his suspension is fair. We don't know if he had a choice to take a stand or not. He chose to apologize and come back in 3 games and obviously join his teammates back on the court as soon as possible. Not to mention, suppose Orr did utter a racial slur or comment.....who looks like the bigger person now? Him or Smart?

 

Clearly, if he said it Smart showed a ton of character for apologizing. I've already said, if he used a racial slur, I completely get Smart reacting the way he did, but that doesn't mean I condone it. I get it, but it's still the wrong reaction. If that makes sense.

Clearly, if he said it Smart showed a ton of character for apologizing. I've already said, if he used a racial slur, I completely get Smart reacting the way he did, but that doesn't mean I condone it. I get it, but it's still the wrong reaction. If that makes sense.

 

 

That's pretty much what I have been saying from the jump.

I've been trying to give this understanding for years on here. It gets extremely frustrating at times when all I am doing is trying to explain the mindset of black people and folks tell you how wrong it is or that it's not like that for real or people don't talk like that anymore, etc, etc.

 

I agree it can be frustrating. It is healthy and appreciated amongst us all, and equally as important to get another side's perspective from your vantage.

Not to diminish the relevancy of this thread, but it has gone on for so long with not a whole lot new being offered of late, one wonders if perhaps Mr. Smart and/or Mr. Orr happen to be Highlands High School graduates or candidates for the varsity football staff.

Not to diminish the relevancy of this thread, but it has gone on for so long with not a whole lot new being offered of late, one wonders if perhaps Mr. Smart and/or Mr. Orr happen to be Highlands High School graduates or candidates for the varsity football staff.

 

 

Can you elaborate on that? As a Highlands grad, I eagerly await your explanation.

Can you elaborate on that? As a Highlands grad, I eagerly await your explanation.
Disproportionate amount of rhetoric concerning all things Highlands.

I can find all kinds of things here that aren't related to Highlands. Maybe you aren't trying hard enough to avoid us. :p

Until this weekend, I would have agreed with most of your guys post about this incident. However after witnessing first hand and incident this weekend, where a spectator thought it was his right to not only verbally assault participants, coaches and officials from the stands, but physically storm onto the floor (breaking a security gate) and try and attack anyone that got in his path because he disagreed with a call, my thoughts on this have changed. Fans now today think they have a right to do anything they want and can get away with it for the most part, whats the worst that happens, they get thrown out.

 

In this case smart was in the wrong for going into the "fans area" to push this guy, however he didnt do that out of just free will, something was said to cause the reaction, which in this case is exactly what the fan wanted. Part of me is kinda glad Smart pushed the guy, (id rather have seen him knock the old bastard into next week and get a taste of what he probably deserved.) Smart does need to be smarter and learn to ignore clowns like this guy when it is just verbal, and yes its a teachable moment. Smart should get 1 at most 2 game suspension and move on from the event. Perhaps this will put a few of these type of fans back in their seats and shut them up, and sure it will cause some to beef up what they do to get the reaction, and maybe its going to take a bigger reaction from the parties participating in the event to make change on this stuff. Its becoming a growing problem and yes as much as we want the participants to just ignore what the spectators do and say when is it enough?

Until this weekend, I would have agreed with most of your guys post about this incident. However after witnessing first hand and incident this weekend, where a spectator thought it was his right to not only verbally assault participants, coaches and officials from the stands, but physically storm onto the floor (breaking a security gate) and try and attack anyone that got in his path because he disagreed with a call, my thoughts on this have changed. Fans now today think they have a right to do anything they want and can get away with it for the most part, whats the worst that happens, they get thrown out.

 

In this case smart was in the wrong for going into the "fans area" to push this guy, however he didnt do that out of just free will, something was said to cause the reaction, which in this case is exactly what the fan wanted. Part of me is kinda glad Smart pushed the guy, (id rather have seen him knock the old bastard into next week and get a taste of what he probably deserved.) Smart does need to be smarter and learn to ignore clowns like this guy when it is just verbal, and yes its a teachable moment. Smart should get 1 at most 2 game suspension and move on from the event. Perhaps this will put a few of these type of fans back in their seats and shut them up, and sure it will cause some to beef up what they do to get the reaction, and maybe its going to take a bigger reaction from the parties participating in the event to make change on this stuff. Its becoming a growing problem and yes as much as we want the participants to just ignore what the spectators do and say when is it enough?

Probably not the first time Mr. Orr has been called an old #*!?!# :lol2:

 

How did the incident you witnessed turn out?

  • Author

This incident certainly makes me respect Jackie Robinson even more for what he went thru, and the restraint and courage he had.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.