Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Raceland loses 5 players?

Featured Replies

I would make my kid stay on the team. If he didn't want to play then he shouldn't have tried out. My kids will never quit midseason. That's a horrible precedence.

 

I agree. However, as a coach, the last thing I want is a kid who doesn't want to be there. Those are the kids that cause problems, and usually hurt the team more than they help. If a kid approaches me wanting to quit the team I coach, I'll give them the talk about quitting and life and 24 hours to think about it. Then if they want to still go, I let them go.

 

As a parent, I think it's possible to force your kid to play. However, you can't be at practice and force him to be a good citizen if your making him do something he doesn't want to do.

  • Replies 56
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winners never quit and quitters never win....you should ALWAYS stick it out.

And again, we don't have enough detail to know what happened or what we think should have happened. I agree about instilling a "no quit" attitude in your kids. I do that with mine. However, there simply are situations that you would remove your child from if it occurred. I'm not talking about playing time or being chastised at halftime. I have no information on this issue either, so I'm not willing to throw parents or kids under the bus.

Yes! Of course. If they joined a team they see it through. Even if their friends get kicked off. You made a commitment. You don't quit college, a job, or a marriage just because you are going through a tough time. We as parents are supposed to teach them to finish what they started. If they do not want to try out for the team the following year, then so be it. But finish the season the way responsible people are supposed to honor their committments.

 

Agree 100%!!

The only thing I have heard is that there was a party and things were going on inappropriately and pictures were taken. Those pictures were sent to parents of the involved. So, the 2 dismissals are derived from this bad behavior.

Raceland lost several baseball players a couple of years ago for behavior unbecoming. I hope this isnt a trend at the school and I hope other are kids take notice they themselves are responsible for their actions and any potential consequences. Too many kids today dont believe they are acountable to every other members of a team. If they are not they are not a team.

I would make my kid stay on the team. If he didn't want to play then he shouldn't have tried out. My kids will never quit midseason. That's a horrible precedence.

 

Totally disagree with this as a "blanket" statement. Without going in to specifics, I have seen kids make school teams, never get to play, and essentially not even participate in practice once the season gets going, basically becoming spectators with a front row seat, watching the "important players" practice and play. Now, I'm not advocating quitting, but comes a time in some circumstances where it's like..."what's the point"? I'd rather a kid, if he's just miserable, quit and find something else more productive he enjoys rather than just waste away in something cause he has a parent that tells him he doesn't have a choice.

One of the players that quit was the leading scorer. And two of them had transferred from Russell a couple of years back. Maybe they are transferring back to play for T.J. when he takes the football coaching job.

I would strongly encourage my child to stay, however, I am not sure that can be a blanket statement. As far as making them stay regardless, I just don't know if making them stay is the best for the others. There woud be alternatives as to what they are going to do with their time, get a job, volunteer in the community, at church. They would not be allowed to come home and watch tv or play video games, etc. It would be very clear I was not happy and was disappointed. Fotrtunately, I didn't have that issue. Plenty of others, but not that one.

Raceland lost several baseball players a couple of years ago for behavior unbecoming. I hope this isnt a trend at the school and I hope other are kids take notice they themselves are responsible for their actions and any potential consequences. Too many kids today dont believe they are acountable to every other members of a team. If they are not they are not a team.

 

I honestly don't think that these 2 incidents can lead anyone to think that the environment at Raceland is trending towards lewd behavior. I can say that both have caused embarrassment and a black eye to the usually well behaved school district.

When I hear talk like "culture" it makes me think rules were violated.

 

The only thing I have heard is that there was a party and things were going on inappropriately and pictures were taken. Those pictures were sent to parents of the involved. So, the 2 dismissals are derived from this bad behavior.

 

 

There you go.

The only thing I have heard is that there was a party and things were going on inappropriately and pictures were taken. Those pictures were sent to parents of the involved. So, the 2 dismissals are derived from this bad behavior.

 

And if this is the case of why the kids were let go...then what does that say about the kids who stood/took up for them and left voluntarily? Doesn't seem to me to be a case where you support the original "wrong doers"...not a good battle for them to fight just going by early accounts of the incident.

Totally disagree with this as a "blanket" statement. Without going in to specifics, I have seen kids make school teams, never get to play, and essentially not even participate in practice once the season gets going, basically becoming spectators with a front row seat, watching the "important players" practice and play. Now, I'm not advocating quitting, but comes a time in some circumstances where it's like..."what's the point"? I'd rather a kid, if he's just miserable, quit and find something else more productive he enjoys rather than just waste away in something cause he has a parent that tells him he doesn't have a choice.

 

My oldest did just that in his 7th grade year of football. We didn't let him quit. You start it....you finish it. I've always felt that any kid that makes a team and is unhappy with his playing time and doesn't seek out the coach as an individual to find out what he can do to improve his playing time doesn't really care anyways. I've always felt like those who work hardest win in the end. Some kids have to work harder than others. Some kids don't take practice serious enough to earn playing time. Some kids just don't care and just want to be on the team. Some kids just want to be a part of the team and come to practice everyday for the sole purpose of doing what they can to make the team better whether they play or not. If I had a kid in the situation you made I'd tell him before he even tried out that he isn't good enough to earn playing time so think carefully before you decide to be a part of the team.

Were you in favor of the all-americans quitting at NotreDame so Rudy could get a jersey for the game?

Were you in favor of the all-americans quitting at NotreDame so Rudy could get a jersey for the game?

 

That never happened. It was made up for the movie. For what it's worth Dan Devine said that he would have kicked them off of the team had they done that.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.