Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Raceland loses 5 players?

Featured Replies

That never happened. It was made up for the movie. For what it's worth Dan Devine said that he would have kicked them off of the team had they done that.
Sarcasm slips by you every time.
  • Replies 56
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you in favor of the all-americans quitting at NotreDame so Rudy could get a jersey for the game?

 

All Americans? Hell no.

My oldest did just that in his 7th grade year of football. We didn't let him quit. You start it....you finish it. I've always felt that any kid that makes a team and is unhappy with his playing time and doesn't seek out the coach as an individual to find out what he can do to improve his playing time doesn't really care anyways. I've always felt like those who work hardest win in the end. Some kids have to work harder than others. Some kids don't take practice serious enough to earn playing time. Some kids just don't care and just want to be on the team. Some kids just want to be a part of the team and come to practice everyday for the sole purpose of doing what they can to make the team better whether they play or not. If I had a kid in the situation you made I'd tell him before he even tried out that he isn't good enough to earn playing time so think carefully before you decide to be a part of the team.

 

We will just have to disagree with this. I've seen it too many times where the kids aren't even made to feel like part of the team if not in the top 6 or 7 that play. Now, is it a problem if it happens frequently where a kid starts something then wants to quit? Absolutely, and something should be done at that point. But one time on a case by case basis? Nope, can't agree with the blanket statement "never".

We will just have to disagree with this. I've seen it too many times where the kids aren't even made to feel like part of the team if not in the top 6 or 7 that play. Now, is it a problem if it happens frequently where a kid starts something then wants to quit? Absolutely, and something should be done at that point. But one time on a case by case basis? Nope, can't agree with the blanket statement "never".

 

 

Never. As I said, if not in the top 6 or 7 then if you truly want to play you seek out your coach and find out what you need to do to be in the top 6 or 7. That's how I have raised mine.

 

If you let a kid quit once in midseason then that kid will want to do it again next time things don't go his way. I've seen that too many times. If you make a commitment then honor it through the end or don't bother trying out is how I am teaching mine.

There are situations where I would applaud my child if he quit a team for the right reasons. If he had a coach that crossed the line (see Mike Rice at Rutgers for an example), then quitting the team would be the right thing to do (or catch him on video... because reporting such occurrences usually goes no where fast with the good ol' boy networks in place). And quitting helps learn a valuable lesson later in life... never be afraid to quit the crappy job you have, because there is another crappy job around the corner waiting for you. The Wall Street Journal ran an article years ago that interviewed hundreds of retired folks... their unanimous piece of advice for someone going into, or currently in , the workforce was just that... DON"T BE AFRAID TO QUIT. There just might be something better waiting for you :)

Never. As I said, if not in the top 6 or 7 then if you truly want to play you seek out your coach and find out what you need to do to be in the top 6 or 7. That's how I have raised mine.

 

If you let a kid quit once in midseason then that kid will want to do it again next time things don't go his way. I've seen that too many times. If you make a commitment then honor it through the end or don't bother trying out is how I am teaching mine.

 

So in your example, it's ok as long as (insert name) kid is in the top 6 or 7 that the other kids are dismissed as afterthoughts and not made to feel as part of the team? How is that even a team?

 

Now, with that said, are there invalid reasons for a kid to quit? Sure, and the situation then should be handled as such. Are there absolutely valid reasons for a kid to quit? Yes there are, and those situations should be handled as such as well. "Never" incorporates a LOT of situations

So in your example, it's ok as long as (insert name) kid is in the top 6 or 7 that the other kids are dismissed as afterthoughts and not made to feel as part of the team? How is that even a team?

 

Now, with that said, are there invalid reasons for a kid to quit? Sure, and the situation then should be handled as such. Are there absolutely valid reasons for a kid to quit? Yes there are, and those situations should be handled as such as well. "Never" incorporates a LOT of situations

 

 

Never. As a parent and a coach NEVER is there a good enough reason for a kid to quit in mid season. That's a quitter. Pure and simple. Quitter. When the going gets tough and things don't go your way....quit.

 

No. Nope. No sir. Not in my house.

So in your example, it's ok as long as (insert name) kid is in the top 6 or 7 that the other kids are dismissed as afterthoughts and not made to feel as part of the team? How is that even a team?

 

Now, with that said, are there invalid reasons for a kid to quit? Sure, and the situation then should be handled as such. Are there absolutely valid reasons for a kid to quit? Yes there are, and those situations should be handled as such as well. "Never" incorporates a LOT of situations

 

I can't imagine any situation where I would think it is okay for my kid to quit after making the team.

I can't imagine any situation where I would think it is okay for my kid to quit after making the team.

 

See Mike Rice??

 

There are potentially better options.

 

I agree that if a kid wants to quit for selfish reasons, then "NO!" But coaches are not saints and they are not above the law. There are circumstances that validate a young man's decision to stop for his own good.

See Mike Rice??

 

There are potentially better options.

 

I agree that if a kid wants to quit for selfish reasons, then "NO!" But coaches are not saints and they are not above the law. There are circumstances that validate a young man's decision to stop for his own good.

 

 

I have yet to see a situation where a coach was treated like a saint when a kid quit the team midseason.

I have yet to see a situation where a coach was treated like a saint when a kid quit the team midseason.

 

Not what I meant. Opposite, in fact.

 

Coach acts "less than a saint" (see Mike Rice)... then kid quits.

Not what I meant. Opposite, in fact.

 

Coach acts "less than a saint" (see Mike Rice)... then kid quits.

 

Gotcha.

 

I'm torn on a situation like that. In my naive perfect little world I'd like to believe that if a coach's behavior was causing my kid or other kids to quit midseason then I would hope that the administration conducts a proper investigation to determine why. Having never gone through a situation like that I can't give an informed opinion. I still don't think me saying I would never let my kid quit is a broad statement but I can see where some may say it is a broad statement. I'll further qualify my feelings by saying I can't imagine a scenario where I would allow my kid to quit midseason unless there was some kind of misconduct on the coach's part.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.