Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Record breaking in before 3pt. shot era of high school sports.

Featured Replies

With Dixie heights Brandon Hatton on the verge of tying and or breaking high school scoring record in Ky. of 2865pts., should we put an astrerisk of before 3pt shot or leave it as is ?

  • Replies 63
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Dixie heights Brandon Hatton on the verge of tying and or breaking high school scoring record in Ky. of 2865pts., should we put an astrerisk of before 3pt shot or leave it as is ?

 

Leave it as is. He earned it following the rules of the game when he played. I think that people who scored that amount of points without a 3pt shot is extremely impressive but it isn't Hatton's fault he was born in the 90's. If he gets the record then it is his without an asterisk IMO.

With Dixie heights Brandon Hatton on the verge of tying and or breaking high school scoring record in Ky. of 2865pts., should we put an astrerisk of before 3pt shot or leave it as is ?

 

2865 points isn't even in the top 30 in KY high school scoring. And the career record is 4,337 points by King Kelly Coleman (1953-56 ... long before the 3 pointer). Are you talking about the Dixie Heights scoring record?

I believe it is the ninth region record that Hatton is on pace to break. That record is currently held by Scott Draudt.(sp?).

Hatton conquered Dixie's all time scoring record last year.

It makes for great water cooler conversation. Total points tells us one thing, it doesn't define who's the best. I know we have a ton of HHS fans, they need to dig up the stat for Drauds' games played. I have a feeling Hatton played in more games. I know he played as an 8th grader (netted 34 vs SK) and am quite sure Draud did not.

Pretty sure Draud played varsity as a frosh, but didn't start. Scored some as a sophomore, but it was his junior and senior seasons when he averaged 35+ PPG that he really put up the points. I don't think an asterisk is appropriate, by the way, because scoring has gone down since the 3 point shot was adopted.

Pretty sure Draud played varsity as a frosh, but didn't start. Scored some as a sophomore, but it was his junior and senior seasons when he averaged 35+ PPG that he really put up the points. I don't think an asterisk is appropriate, by the way, because scoring has gone down since the 3 point shot was adopted.

 

You seem to have a point here as I think now there's much more of an emphasis on defense than there was during the pre 3 point days. It seems that games in the 70's & 80's point range would've been more common then, as games are more like in the 60's point range now.

I agree that today's game is more competitive than it was years ago. There are way more players putting time in today training and working on skills than back in the day. And this is true at every level and every sport... high school, college, nba, basketball, basell, football, etc...

 

For example, I seriously doubt Wilt would be able to put up 100 in today's NBA

I do know that when Draud put up 69 against Holmes it would of 84 with a 3 point line. No way anybody would of caught Draud with a 3 point line. I think his High School career FT % was something like 94-95%.....That's absurd considering the attempts he had through 4 years. Scott Draud use to pack the house just to see him play.

I do know that when Draud put up 69 against Holmes it would of 84 with a 3 point line. No way anybody would of caught Draud with a 3 point line. I think his High School career FT % was something like 94-95%.....That's absurd considering the attempts he had through 4 years. Scott Draud use to pack the house just to see him play.

 

I do know the 84 point number because it was a normal practice of Coach Sheilds that he would educate his class on how many points Draud would of had on any givin night. He use to pull out Draud's shot chart from certain games 2 years later after the 3 point line just for giggles. I remember it well when Draud was a Frosh and #1 Scott Co came to Ft Thomas to play a regular season game. Draud sent them home with a "L"....Truly a special Basketball player.

I think the reverse argument could be made for Hatton. Folks should not just look at this "what if" scenario from one direction.

 

So, what if Hatton played during Draud's time? I would argue that he would have scored even more points against the inferior competition back then.

I think the reverse argument could be made for Hatton. Folks should not just look at this "what if" scenario from one direction.

 

So, what if Hatton played during Draud's time? I would argue that he would have scored even more points against the inferior competition back then.

 

Agree....

looks like Hatton will make the record book, though. Only needs 135 to get to the minimum of 3000.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.