December 30, 201312 yr We now know who the 1st two games would be and their times. If they beat the Chargers on Sunday at 1:05, they would go to New England and play on Saturday the 11th at 8:00. A win there would take the to Denver (most likely) or a home game with Indy or the Chiefs. This is more than I think they can do. Visting Brady and the possibly Manning is a tough task. The Bengals are the only team with a defense in the upper half (#3) in the NFL. But, you have to score 30 + against Denver and 24+ against the Pats. Gotta get by the Chargers first which noting their recent history in playoffs is not a given. What ya' think?
December 30, 201312 yr I think they are the team most well equipped in the AFC for the postseason. They're a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense. I believe it was Tony Dungy last night who was talking about how Denver winning home-field was a huge advantage because their aren't any real good defenses in the AFC to slow them down. I don't know what he considers "real good", but the Bengals are certainly good enough to do it. The biggest obstacle IMO will be if they get past the Chargers and have to play New England in Foxboro. The Pats don't lose up there very often. Personally, if I'm a Bengals fan, I'd rather they have been the #4 seed.
December 30, 201312 yr Having to potentially beat both New England and Denver, on the road nonetheless, is going to be a tough mountain to climb. Should they get by San Diego and the Patriots, it would be great if Kansas City or the Colts could knock off the Broncos, and then the Bengals could have the AFC Championship game at home. I will say this, I feel they made it in...so, they've obviously got a chance. But, it'll depend on which Jeckyl or Hyde team shows up (mostly on offense). I feel more confident about this team than I have compared to the previous two years'...but, that'll only make it hurt more if they lose on Sunday.
December 30, 201312 yr If they dont win the first game... I dont know if ill ever get my hopes up for a Bengal team again. But they should win that game fairly easily IMO. Beating Tom Brady in January on the road is almost impossible. But this Patriots team might be the most underwhelming 12-4 team in NFL history. If they get passed that I hope they go to Denver. Peyton will go into choke mode in the cold. I give them 90% chance to beat SD, 60% to beat NE, and 50% chance to beat Denver. I really think this could be the year.
December 30, 201312 yr If the don't beat SD then I dont want to be near any bridge for the fear of falling bodies hitting me. If they winand play NE and win there is no reason to think they cant win it all. If they beat SD and lose to NE its really nott much different than the previous 2 years. What I mean by that is they still cant beat a "Good" playoff team when it counts. I'm hoping for running the tables sceerio though.
December 30, 201312 yr My best guess is they beat SD and lose to NE. They simply have not shown they can win on the road against good teams. I hope they prove me wrong because if they can beat New England away they can certainly beat Peyton Manning in the cold.
December 30, 201312 yr ....... I think the Bengals look better the further you are removed from the day-in, day-out of the team (and their games). They have a Top 10 offense and a Top 10 defense and are undefeated against the AFC playoff teams. NO ONE else can say that in the AFC. Broncos lost to Pats and Colts. Pats lost to Bengals. Colts lost to Bengals. Chargers lost to Broncos and Bengals. Chiefs lost to Broncos, and maybe the Chargers off the top of my head. I disagree with Hellbird that a loss in NE would be same ol' Bengals, unless that game was another embarrassing blowout. The Bengals are 11-5 without Geno and Leon and with a QB that some (many?) thought was worse than Weeden, Locker, Ponder, and Tannehill (nice 7 point total in the last two games). Let's enjoy it and hopefully a post-season win on Sunday so we can get that monkey off our back too. I don't think there would be any shame in losing AT NE in prime time the 2nd weekend of the playoffs. That said, I'd sure rather win it.
December 30, 201312 yr ^Broncos also lost to the Chargers. Chiefs lost to the Chargers (2x) and the Colts as well.
December 30, 201312 yr I think the Bengals chances are obviously as good as anybody's. I love their chances against the Chargers, however it is the playoffs anything is possible. Good teams can have bad games and be knocked out on their first game in the playoffs, which even Peyton Manning knows well. The Chargers have showed they are capable of beating anyone by beating Denver in Denver, beating KC twice and by also beating the Colts. So it won't be an easy win, but its a game that I still really like the Bengals chances in obviously, especially at home. Then as someone else mentioned the Pats are 12 and 4 and tough to beat at home, but they are not the same team without Gronk and the Bengals definitely can go up there to win. The toughest part would be having to go to Denver if that happens, but the Bengals might be the most complete team from the offense to defense stand point so they would have as good of a chance as anyone. Then if make it to the Super Bowl I think the Bengals would match up with anyone well from the NFC. So I really like the chances for the Bengals. However it is the playoffs anything is possible, and lets start by winning this first game first against the Chargers! Who Dey!
December 30, 201312 yr I hope they come out and handle business against SD; Dalton limits his turnovers and the team can play with anybody in the league. The team that catches a break here and there can make a run at anybody.
December 30, 201312 yr West Coast warm weather team playing in 30 degree temps at 10 AM PT to a team that beat them at Home ................Bengals have no excuse. Then on to NE who is a much different team without Gronk on offense and the big ole tub of goo clogging up the middle on defense. That is more winnable than you would think going up against a #2 seed. Then either a Home game or on the road to Denver in what hopefully will be a cold game with some wind. Peyton is not unbeatable as someone has found a way to do it in every season except one.
December 31, 201312 yr AFC Champs...no guts, no glory :lol2: . Beyond waiting 24 years for a playoff win, if you're going to win, you better go big or go home. Excuse me while I place this Makers Mark back where it belongs. All joking aside, one game at a time. Go Bengals, beat the Chargers!
December 31, 201312 yr Losing to SD would put a serious black cloud on the entire season. I made a bet with my brothers back in April, 1999 that the new Browns would win a playoff game before the Bengals would. It's been 14 years since I made the bet and for 14 years it's been true. I actually thought last year would be their year, facing the Texans for a second straight year in the playoffs, but fortunately I was wrong. If they do it this year, bravo, good for them. I have said all along that the Bengals have been cursed since the year of their last playoff win - 1990 season (1991 playoffs). San Diego has gone 4-0 since their last loss (Cincinnati - home). They're playing well, but need to do better than the 3 turnovers they had at home. If they take care of the ball, the Chargers have a chance, but they're playing a team who everyone knows was unbeaten at home (no small task) and Andy Dalton just plays better at home. If and when the Bengals have to play a road game, they will probably lose, but can go as far as Dalton's success takes them.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.