Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Has this site become big school/big program elitest???

Featured Replies

Last night I posted the score of a Division III rivalry game. Bellevue beat Dayton 59-45. In the past this would have been a highly charged community rivalry game with much interest.

 

By this morning it had already found its way to Page Two and headed off to cyber space with 70 viewers but no comments. Bringing me to wonder - Have we (BGP) become an eliteist big school/big basketball program site, where the small D-III school fans no longer feel a part of it???

OR do the smaller schools feel inferior to we bigger programs and are intimidated to write about the exploits of their teams here thinking that no one cares??? OR are they right???

 

I guess I follow the D-III teams because not that long ago (or so it seems), we (Brossart) were one of them, and I realize that the D-III title is all they have to play for. With the mid-majors dominating the All "A" and with the 36th District going to seeding, even the possibility of playing in the regional tournament has been lost. Perhaps they feel crushed and choose to suffer among each other in silence.

 

Thoughts???

  • Replies 57
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be nice to have more schools represented, however, I don't think the lack of those posters has much, if anything, to do with the culture of BGP.

Funny, your post last night almost led me to start a new thread. Who is the best NKAC D3 team. I'm on the road or would have done it. Interesting too that the best teams in NKY are D2. A couple D1's had a little love, but I think the honeymoon may be over for the time being?

Since when did basketball teams get classified? Are we having 3 state championships now?

Since when did basketball teams get classified? Are we having 3 state championships now?

Northern Ky. Has a conference that is divided into 3 divisions. Each division plays a schedule against what is suppossed to be their equals. Beechwood moved from small school to D2 recently and Holmes dropped from D1 to D2 recently.

They also have an end of the year banquet and select the division all stars.

Still only one sectioned state tournament by the KHSAA.

.........

 

Mustang, your post is thoughtful and well written, as always. I don't think it has anything to do with people being elitist, I think it is simple sports fandom. Unless you are a parent / relative, you just aren't that interested in those games. Much the same that I don't have an interest in Thomas More sports beyond a casual glance at a score now and then. I appreciate what TMC student athletes do, I know several of their soccer players because they train my son, but I am not going to sit around Barleycorns arguing about the PAC. I will about UK, UL, Xavier, etc., but I don't think that makes any of us elitist, per se.

 

Since the smaller schools seem to have smaller fan bases, at least until they are really good (Rose Hill), or, create so much drama that people rally to be against them (umm, Rose Hill), they just don't get talked about much. People who have no skin in the game want to talk about the good teams, the teams loaded with good players, and / or the schools that have big fan bases that you root for, or, often, like to root against.

 

I don't foresee it changing any time soon, just like I don't foresee a healthy sports debate at work about the 2014 Bridge Bowl between TMC and the Mount.

Encourage the fans of those schools to join. We could always use more posters representing more schools. I definitely wish Louisville had better representation from among all the various schools in the Sixth and Seventh Regions. The big schools have more students and so more parents, more alumni, more fans.

Northern Ky. Has a conference that is divided into 3 divisions. Each division plays a schedule against what is suppossed to be their equals. Beechwood moved from small school to D2 recently and Holmes dropped from D1 to D2 recently.

They also have an end of the year banquet and select the division all stars.

Still only one sectioned state tournament by the KHSAA.

 

TAC, is NKY the only area in the Commonwealth that does this?

TAC, is NKY the only area in the Commonwealth that does this?

 

Not sure. Great question.

I didn't know there was such a thing as D3 high school teams in Kentucky. Learn something new every day

Last night I posted the score of a Division III rivalry game. Bellevue beat Dayton 59-45. In the past this would have been a highly charged community rivalry game with much interest.

 

By this morning it had already found its way to Page Two and headed off to cyber space with 70 viewers but no comments. Bringing me to wonder - Have we (BGP) become an eliteist big school/big basketball program site, where the small D-III school fans no longer feel a part of it???

OR do the smaller schools feel inferior to we bigger programs and are intimidated to write about the exploits of their teams here thinking that no one cares??? OR are they right???

 

I guess I follow the D-III teams because not that long ago (or so it seems), we (Brossart) were one of them, and I realize that the D-III title is all they have to play for. With the mid-majors dominating the All "A" and with the 36th District going to seeding, even the possibility of playing in the regional tournament has been lost. Perhaps they feel crushed and choose to suffer among each other in silence.

 

Thoughts???

 

 

The membership drives threads and posts. There are plenty of small schools represented in different forums throughout BGP. If people want to talk about it then they will talk about it. If not they won't. I post things about 12th Region schools all of the time and they are big/bigger schools than Bellevue and Dayton. The lack of discussion about those 12th Region schools is a reflection of the membership. Not whether or not BGP is elitist.

Augusta gets a ton of love on BGP. Aren't they a small school?

Encourage the fans of those schools to join. We could always use more posters representing more schools. I definitely wish Louisville had better representation from among all the various schools in the Sixth and Seventh Regions. The big schools have more students and so more parents, more alumni, more fans.

 

And more coverage, which perpetuates the division even more.

 

I don't care to write about anyone I see, but when you can stream Scott County-Ballard online and I can watch it in my living room in Texas, it kind of makes them easier to cover.

Augusta gets a ton of love on BGP. Aren't they a small school?

 

One of the smallest. Barely over 100 in their high school I believe.

TAC, is NKY the only area in the Commonwealth that does this?

 

IIRC, SEKC had some divisions, don't know if those were just for awards though.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.