Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryan Ludwick Calls Out Fans

Featured Replies

I promise not to boo Dudwick Friday night until he strikes out or hits into his first DP.

 

Ryan "DL" "Mr. K." "6-4-3" Dudwick has no standing to say anything to the fans of Cincy except thank you.

  • Replies 126
  • Views 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love it if the fans give him a completely exaggerated applause when he has his first plate appearance. I'd love it even more if he then hits a HR (besides the fact that it would be good for beating the Pirates).

It's always a great plan to call out your own fans.

Well, I can see I look at my sports teams a whole lot differently than some other folks. Are there things I wish my teams/players have done differently? Sure. Are there times they have disappointed me? More times than I can count. (Remember, I'm a Bengals fan too.)

 

But, I can unequivocally say that I have never...let me repeat...NEVER...booed my team. I am married to my teams. And for better or worse, I will stand by them. I do not consider going to a game a "social occasion"...where you drink a bunch of beer and talk with your friends, or play with your phone, while the game is simply "entertainment" in the background. I go to the game to root for my team. Emotionally, I am invested in the outcome.

 

I have gone to games when we've had a good team, and I have gone to games when we've had a bad team. I root for them just the same. It's sad to see that some people on here aren't that way. (Which will now cause 1000 responses to why they're "entitled" to boo.)

 

I'm with Crash and GT on this one. Ludwick was spot on with his comments.

Well, I can see I look at my sports teams a whole lot differently than some other folks. Are there things I wish my teams/players have done differently? Sure. Are there times they have disappointed me? More times than I can count. (Remember, I'm a Bengals fan too.)

 

But, I can unequivocally say that I have never...let me repeat...NEVER...booed my team. I am married to my teams. And for better or worse, I will stand by them. I do not consider going to a game a "social occasion"...where you drink a bunch of beer and talk with your friends, or play with your phone, while the game is simply "entertainment" in the background. I go to the game to root for my team. Emotionally, I am invested in the outcome.

 

I have gone to games when we've had a good team, and I have gone to games when we've had a bad team. I root for them just the same. It's sad to see that some people on here aren't that way. (Which will now cause 1000 responses to why they're "entitled" to boo.)

 

I'm with Crash and GT on this one. Ludwick was spot on with his comments.

 

Yep. I'm in a bad mood when the Reds lose.

 

And what you stated above is why I hate opening day. So many people go that won't see another game the rest of the year. I used to go to the 2nd game of the season every year because it was a cold night game and only the real fans were there.

Ludwick would not be the first athlete to have used a poor choice of words in an interview. I'll take the middle ground and suggest that Ludwick (and his pals) exhibit more passion in this 3 game series with the Pirates. This is not the time to "pace yourself" emotionally for a long 162 game season. Lay it all on the line and the fans will see it and respond. On the other hand, it is also time for Reds fans to have a short memory about Ludwick's comments and made GABP into a playoff atmosphere beginning Friday night. Cincinnati sports fans are "fickle". It comes back to the typical resident in this area in regard to how he or she looks at life in general. That doesn't means it isn't a sports town in the same manner as other cities. I have been in several stadiums, ballparks, and arenas in this city. Cincinnati sports can be very zealous and enthusiastic when there is a bond between them and the players in front of them. I don't think there is a connection between fans and a lot of the Reds players on this year's team. That needs to change, I believe, if they want to get very far in the playoffs.

Well, I can see I look at my sports teams a whole lot differently than some other folks. Are there things I wish my teams/players have done differently? Sure. Are there times they have disappointed me? More times than I can count. (Remember, I'm a Bengals fan too.)

 

But, I can unequivocally say that I have never...let me repeat...NEVER...booed my team. I am married to my teams. And for better or worse, I will stand by them. I do not consider going to a game a "social occasion"...where you drink a bunch of beer and talk with your friends, or play with your phone, while the game is simply "entertainment" in the background. I go to the game to root for my team. Emotionally, I am invested in the outcome.

 

I have gone to games when we've had a good team, and I have gone to games when we've had a bad team. I root for them just the same. It's sad to see that some people on here aren't that way. (Which will now cause 1000 responses to why they're "entitled" to boo.)

 

I'm with Crash and GT on this one. Ludwick was spot on with his comments.

 

Let me be clear, I've never booed my team. I don't think it's something that should be considered taboo though. :idunno: If a player on my team does something idiotic, which I think Ludwick's comments were, and people choose to boo, I'm cool with that.

 

Along the same lines, I get ticked off when they lose, whether it be 1-0 or 15-14 in 18 innings. However, I still struggle to find how exactly fans are supposed to be "energized" when they're watching a game where it's 1,2,3 inning over, 1,2,3 inning over, 1,2, walk, 3, inning over.

 

I'm being 100% serious when I ask, how am I or other fans supposed to be energetic when Votto is taking third strikes with RISP, or when Leake is serving up beach balls that HS JV teams would tee off on, or when they have a runner on 3rd and no outs and fail to knock him in? What can I, as a fan, do to energize the team so they perform differently in those situations?

Well, I can see I look at my sports teams a whole lot differently than some other folks. Are there things I wish my teams/players have done differently? Sure. Are there times they have disappointed me? More times than I can count. (Remember, I'm a Bengals fan too.)

 

But, I can unequivocally say that I have never...let me repeat...NEVER...booed my team. I am married to my teams. And for better or worse, I will stand by them. I do not consider going to a game a "social occasion"...where you drink a bunch of beer and talk with your friends, or play with your phone, while the game is simply "entertainment" in the background. I go to the game to root for my team. Emotionally, I am invested in the outcome.

 

I have gone to games when we've had a good team, and I have gone to games when we've had a bad team. I root for them just the same. It's sad to see that some people on here aren't that way. (Which will now cause 1000 responses to why they're "entitled" to boo.)

 

I'm with Crash and GT on this one. Ludwick was spot on with his comments.

 

Same with me with my teams.

I don't think anyone will deny St. Louis is a better baseball town than Cincinnati, but since San Francisco was brought up....

 

Cincinnati

Population: ~300,000

% of population under 18 or over 65: ~33%

Avg. Household income: ~$34,000

% Below Poverty Line: ~27.5%

 

San Francisco

Population: ~825,000

Population under 18 or over 65: ~27%

Avg. Household Income: ~$73,000

% Below Poverty Line: ~12%

 

Besides the obvious demographic differences, the Giants happened to win 2 of the past 4 (or 5) World Series Titles. I'm going to assume that buys them some loyalty from the fanbase.

 

Can you post St. Louis' compared to those?

Can you post St. Louis' compared to those?

 

Very similar to Cincinnati...Almost identical.

Let me be clear, I've never booed my team. I don't think it's something that should be considered taboo though. :idunno: If a player on my team does something idiotic, which I think Ludwick's comments were, and people choose to boo, I'm cool with that.

 

Along the same lines, I get ticked off when they lose, whether it be 1-0 or 15-14 in 18 innings. However, I still struggle to find how exactly fans are supposed to be "energized" when they're watching a game where it's 1,2,3 inning over, 1,2,3 inning over, 1,2, walk, 3, inning over.

 

I'm being 100% serious when I ask, how am I or other fans supposed to be energetic when Votto is taking third strikes with RISP, or when Leake is serving up beach balls that HS JV teams would tee off on, or when they have a runner on 3rd and no outs and fail to knock him in? What can I, as a fan, do to energize the team so they perform differently in those situations?

 

One suggestion, don't be short sighted. Clearly, none of these things have happened the entire season or they wouldn't be preparing for the playoffs. If you were going to the Astro's games I would show a little more compassion. However, you are attending a game of a team that has gone to the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, won division titles and will win 90+ games this season.

 

Are there frustrating times, absolutely. But think of the entire body of work. Leake has been real good most of the season. Votto is hitting over .300.

One suggestion, don't be short sighted. Clearly, none of these things have happened the entire season or they wouldn't be preparing for the playoffs. If you were going to the Astro's games I would show a little more compassion. However, you are attending a game of a team that has gone to the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, won division titles and will win 90+ games this season.

 

Are there frustrating times, absolutely. But think of the entire body of work. Leake has been real good most of the season. Votto is hitting over .300.

 

Right, but Ludwick's comments were directed at this series specifically.

Right, but Ludwick's comments were directed at this series specifically.

 

I took it as this series was the straw. Heck, there was a thread started on here about lack of attendance a couple of weeks ago. While he didn't specifically say the crowds suck, the less people in attendance the less chance there is to have a playoff atmosphere.

 

Especially considering, apparently, a lot of the fans are just getting out of or ready to get into diapers.

One suggestion, don't be short sighted. Clearly, none of these things have happened the entire season or they wouldn't be preparing for the playoffs. If you were going to the Astro's games I would show a little more compassion. However, you are attending a game of a team that has gone to the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, won division titles and will win 90+ games this season.

 

Are there frustrating times, absolutely. But think of the entire body of work. Leake has been real good most of the season. Votto is hitting over .300.

 

Thank you

I took it as this series was the straw. Heck, there was a thread started on here about lack of attendance a couple of weeks ago. While he didn't specifically say the crowds suck, the less people in attendance the less chance there is to have a playoff atmosphere.

 

Especially considering, apparently, a lot of the fans are just getting out of or ready to get into diapers.

 

If he was talking about the bolded, his comments are that much more ridiculous. They've had more people attend the games this year than ever before. They're not going to go from just over 2M for a season to over 3M in one year. Just isn't going to happen, and he wasn't complaining last year, when less people were showing up. Yesterday they had 26K for a noon game in the middle of the week, during the school year. Yeah, that may not be good for places like STL or SF or NY, etc., but realistically that's as good as you're going to get in Cincinnati. The population is too spread out to think otherwise.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.