Trinity vs. Ensworth (TN) on ESPNU

All Tell

Trinity vs. Ensworth(TN). Who wins?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Trinity vs. Ensworth(TN). Who wins?

The Ensworth Tigers are coming to Louisville this Friday. They are the Tennessee defending private school champions seeking their fourth consecutive big school title this season. The co-ed high school was founded in 2002 and is a major force in athletics in the Nashville area. Like Trinity, they could only muster a nine game regular season schedule. Ensworth has a published roster of only 40 players. Many starters play both ways and this could be a huge factor for the Shamrocks. MaxPreps has the Tigers ranked number 10 in the USA and number one in Tennessee. USA Today has Ensworth at #18. Rivals.com rates the Tigers number 20 in the country. By all accounts, they represent a formidable foe for Trinity’s opening game. ESPNU will televise the game from Marshall Stadium.

The Tiger roster boasts nine potential NCAA Division 1 players on their roster. The Tigers return 13 starters from a year ago. D’Andre Ferby (6’2”, 220) is the most prominent offensive weapon. The Sr. running back averaged 9 yards per carry in 6 game injury shortened season. Vanderbilt has a verbal commitment from two-way lineman Michael Sawyers (6’2”, 315, Sr.). Xavier Forest (6’3”, 324, Sr.) is another two-way starter for the Tigers on the line. The Tigers’ QB is junior P.J. Settles.

Trinity comes into the game nationally ranked #2 in USA Today, #45 in Rivals.com, and #139 by MaxPreps.

Trinity’s offense is lead by Sr. QB Reggie Bonnafon. In his varsity QB debut in the Highlands scrimmage this past Friday, Reggie was 22 of 29 with four of his 7 incompletions classified as dropped balls by Trinity staffers. When his pass protection broke down, he proved to be a legitimate threat to run for significant positive yardage. Running backs Jallen Reed (So.) and Donald Brooks (Jr.) provide the Shamrocks with outstanding options in the backfield. The receiving corps will feature senior Cody Swabek, sophomore Rodjay Burns, senior Drew Chandler and senior C.J. Ott. Seniors Scott Liebert (6’3”, 265) and Price Kmetz (6’2”, 248) anchor the Shamrock offensive line. Sophomore Max Martin (6’2”, 280) and junior Michael Smigel ((6’4”, 245) will need to continue to contribute for this group to be successful. The tight ends include senior Woody Campbell (6’1”, 200) and junior Andrew Delvisco (6’2”, 200) who converted from QB. The offense did score seven touchdowns in their first seven possessions in the Highlands scrimmage and did not attempt a punt in the three quarter “game”.

Defensively, Trinity will rotate as many as eight linemen. These include Dane Hayden (6’4”, 215, Sr.), Adam King (6’1”, 248, Jr.), Matthew English ((6’2”, 203, Jr.), Connor Foos (6’3”, 235, So.) and Aaron Roseberry (6’2”, 235, Jr). The defensive front was able to pressure the Bluebirds’ QB and was successful in containing the run. The linebackers will be Brentton Ervin (6’ 0”, 200, Jr.), Damon Lowe (5’11”, 213, So.), and Alex Reisert (5’11", 200, Jr.). Junior Canon Jackson (6’2”, 205) is the lone returning starter on defense and will play free safety. Ensworth will feature a run-first attack and Trinity will need these young men to step up big under the lights. Trinity will need to play physical football on both sides of the ball to match up with Ensworth. An overflow crowd of more than 6,000 is expected at Marshall Stadium. Trinity fans have been asked to make this game a whiteout. Kickoff is set for 8PM.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to T to win but my pick is Ensworth by 10. I thought they were better than T last season after seeing both teams play in person. The big loss for Ensworth was their back to back Mr. Football and Miami RB signee Corn Elder. But Ferby is very talented and they can rest him with Vanderbilt commit Sheffield, I think thats his name at least, a DB who had offensive talent as well

Know very little about the team that Trinity's put together this year, but until I can be shown otherwise, the lack of returning starters on the defense concerns me. It's going to take at least a few weeks for that group to get it together I feel.

Know very little about the team that Trinity's put together this year, but until I can be shown otherwise, the lack of returning starters on the defense concerns me. It's going to take at least a few weeks for that group to get it together I feel.

That is my concern, too. Another concern is the punting game.

I look for Ensworth's offense to be the difference. They're a juggernaut and T's D is unproven at this point. Ensworth also has a very stout D and although I do see T being able to score a few times, I don't think it'll be enough to keep up.. Ensworth 35 Trinity 21

I look for Ensworth's offense to be the difference. They're a juggernaut and T's D is unproven at this point. Ensworth also has a very stout D and although I do see T being able to score a few times, I don't think it'll be enough to keep up.. Ensworth 35 Trinity 21
I will be shocked if Trinity's offense is held to three scores by anyone on their schedule. Doesn't Ensworth play several players both ways? Trinity may play one both ways. Trinity's new found sophomore kicker may be a difference maker. I believe the Tigers QB will be making his first varsity start as well as Bonnafon. There are reasons MBA and Brentwood Academy dropped Trinity. The same holds true for Cincy X and Elder. I like the Shamrocks 42-35 with a late fourth quarter drive to win it.

Had a coach I respect a lot that has coached against every elite team in ky and some good ones out of state. He said Ensworth is the best program he's ever coached against.

Hope the Rocks represent KY! Did I read that right Ensworth only has 40 players but 10 D1? How's that happen?

I know people always joke on BGP about Trinity having apartments for players etc. Ensworth really does I think. Apartments right on their campus.