University Christian (FL) vs. Highlands Bluebirds

Who wins?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Highlands
    • University Christian

Are the highlights from the state championship team? If so' date=' how can you compare this year's team. Not discounting what you guys are saying, but I read on one particular forum that these guys were voted least likely to repeat as state champs. Now, to me, comparing last year's team to this year's team is like "apples/oranges". Does the coaching staff get a game tape of last year's squad or do they get a scrimmage video from this year? If the former, how can you prepare for a team that could be totally different from last year? Blowout win or no, most fans will still have no idea how Highlands will stack up to the rest of Kentucky until they play another Ky. opponent.[/quote']

I watched "tape" of last year's team, so your point may be a valid one. However, as mentioned in another thread started by Psalms G (previewing the game), a lot of those players I was really impressed with return this year. I think he said 6 starters on O and 6 starters on D return. If accurate, watching tape of last season would give a decent perspective on what to expect out of them this year. Number 55, mentioned by another poster, is back and he is good; real good. The sophomore running back that scored two TDs in last year's state game returns (one of those TDs was a defensive TD).

According to Psalms G post, UC has not scrimmaged this year. I really like the fact that we got a scrimmage game in against Trinity and UC hasn't scrimmaged or played a game yet. I am concerned that UC got a lot of new players via transfer (with a whole lot of them being seniors).

I'm guessing here but I have to think that the HC of UC felt he'd have a really good team this year (even before the transfers) and wanted to really up the state and national profile of his program. Such is critically important in Florida with its transfer rule.

Who knows, I may be wrong. But I do expect to see very good speed and quickness at all positions on the UC team.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot to think about, lots of unknowns about players from UC. Probably very little knowledge about talent at the skill positions. I think Clyde mentioned an all state running back last year when the kid was a Sophomore. :scared: Birds need to make sure tackles on the first hit or it could be a long day. I think it's "game on" with the Birds winning a close one.

This is quite a big game for Dale and the Birds to stick their necks out for the season opener.........a mid season matchup where they can have some game footage would be ideal, but to go in against a team blindfolded is risky, imo. You can bet UC has the advantage on the prep side for this one. There is plenty of tape on the Birds and even a youtube vid of the recent scrimmage. Good news is Weinrich adapts extremely well and if things are shaky at the start, you can bet the Birds will adjust. I see them winning the second half. I keep thinking how big of an initiation this will be for Houliston. I'm sure he'll handle himself very well.

Sounds like UC runs NewCath's offense from the past few years, which makes sense w/ the Georgetown influence. If so, Highlands will have to do better than in years past against the dive, b/c the whole running offense is based off of it.

Bingo. Hebel and the inside LBers will have to play big.

Question to those close to the program. In preparing for UC, would Johnson Central's offense be a good gauge on how to attack UC? Obviously a different caliber of athlete on UC than JC, and probably more of a threat to pass than JC. But watching the highlights, I got the impression that UC and JC had similar running games.

They actually have a link to BGP, referencing the discussions going on here about the game. Obviously, they're trying to paint us as overconfident to placate the local Jacksonville readership!

Well, sorry to burst your bubble Jacksonvillians! The Birds and their faithful will be a lot of things...but overconfident isn't one of them! :thumb:

Question to those close to the program. In preparing for UC' date=' would Johnson Central's offense be a good gauge on how to attack UC? Obviously a different caliber of athlete on UC than JC, and probably more of a threat to pass than JC. But watching the highlights, I got the impression that UC and JC had similar running games.[/quote']

JC was a more athletic like and faster backs...