Top 5 in Kentucky

They may be VERY good...but to try and argue against the talent, accomplishments, and overall aspects of the '98 Highlands team is a stretch for me...I would argue that that was the best team ever in KY...T last year included.

T 2011 was better than 2012.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe when this years seniors were frosh they went down to Boyle Co. and beat them by 50 or 60pts. I would say that doesn't happen to often.. I really don't care what any BGPer's say on here. I have seen every HHS team in the past 35yrs and this one is as deep as I have ever seen. They do not have any superstars but a ton of really really good football players!! When the Birds are ranked nationally at the end of the year and no one else in Ky is I think there will be a lot of crow to be eaten.. "Stairway to Seven" GO BIRDS!!!!! :ylsuper:

The bold is what causes me doubt. It is rare to have a truly great team and not have a superstar or two. We will find out soon enough. The greatest scrimmage of all time is just a month or so away.

Dale is famous for quotes in the pre-season but I can't ever recall him saying this could be the "best" ever. Highlands' versatility amazes me the most. Mueller has been there for a long time and it's always amazing to me to see how different every team is. Most coaching staffs have a system and stick to it, HHS adapts to their strengths and seem to be able to adjust on the fly.

The bold is what causes me doubt. It is rare to have a truly great team and not have a superstar or two. We will find out soon enough. The greatest scrimmage of all time is just a month or so away.

Not really. Look at Cooper's run last year. A very good team that continuously played teams with D1 recruits and Superstars all throughout the post season, yet not one D1 recruit or superstar on Cooper's squad, just some very good players and very good team concept from within. I credit that with outstanding coaching and the boys believing in themselves more than any one player.

Not really. Look at Cooper's run last year. A very good team that continuously played teams with D1 recruits and Superstars all throughout the post season, yet not one D1 recruit or superstar on Cooper's squad, just some very good players and very good team concept from within. I credit that with outstanding coaching and the boys believing in themselves more than any one player.

Collins and Morris were superstars, and as good as any high school players in the state.

Dale is famous for quotes in the pre-season but I can't ever recall him saying this could be the "best" ever. Highlands' versatility amazes me the most. Mueller has been there for a long time and it's always amazing to me to see how different every team is. Most coaching staffs have a system and stick to it, HHS adapts to their strengths and seem to be able to adjust on the fly.

Same here, at least before the season starts. I know for years people have been anticipating this senior class. Can't wait for the season to start.

Actually, you are proving my point. Cooper didn't win a state championship and probably weren't even top 5 in the state last year. Great team. Great season. But we are talking about being the #1 team in the entire state and Cooper wasn't #1 in their class.

For Highlands though, I think they do have a couple D1 guys. Didn't True just commit to WKU? Is Hope going to be D1? Are there others that may go D1 that we don't know yet?

Collins and Morris were superstars, and as good as any high school players in the state.

Superstars is too strong. Are either of them even playing college football? Both were excellent. Add in Taylor Centers on the line, who I rank higher than Collins. Morris was the most underrated player in N. Ky. I don't think there was a better playmaker than him. Those guys were great high school all star level players.

Actually, you are proving my point. Cooper didn't win a state championship and probably weren't even top 5 in the state last year. Great team. Great season. But we are talking about being the #1 team in the entire state and Cooper wasn't #1 in their class.

For Highlands though, I think they do have a couple D1 guys. Didn't True just commit to WKU? Is Hope going to be D1? Are there others that may go D1 that we don't know yet?

Superstars is too strong. Are either of them even playing college football? Both were excellent. Add in Taylor Centers on the line, who I rank higher than Collins. Morris was the most underrated player in N. Ky. I don't think there was a better playmaker than him. Those guys were great high school all star level players.

Any starter that is not a senior would be a good place to find that potential D1 player.

Actually Cooper was top 5 in the state, and you didn't preface your post with being the #1 team in the state. I don't put Highlands #1 in the state right now....not before the season plays out anyway.

Morris, Centers and Collins are all going to be playing for Thomas More. (Collins will be sitting out this year due to shoulder surgery)

Superstars? Aren't Superstars usually D1 recruits?

Last I checked all 3 players you mentioned are going to Thomas More. I am estactic they are going there, gives me a chance to continue watching them play for another 4 years, but it's a far cry from D1 schools especially if you saying they were as good as any other players in the state, including high D1 recruits.

Actually Cooper was top 5 in the state,

They were?

and you didn't preface your post with being the #1 team in the state. I don't put Highlands #1 in the state right now....not before the season plays out anyway.

I agree. Highlands should not be #1 pre-season. I am predicting they will be by season's end.

Morris, Centers and Collins are all going to be playing for Thomas More. (Collins will be sitting out this year due to shoulder surgery)

:up:

See comments above.

Sorry, they were ranked #9 by maxpreps in the state.

Still gives my point that they were a very good team with no "Superstars" which does happen.

I agree with that. And that is about where I thought they were last year. Who were the top 10 on maxpreps last year? That seems like some good info for the discussion here.