Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Wife Convicted of Murder Asks For New Trial

Featured Replies

I don't know/didn't know either of these people. It seems like most people that I spoke with said the same thing about the husband and that that was he was a good person. However, from the outside looking in at that picture, the kids sure look happy. If my Mom shot my Dad in cold blood, rest assured, we wouldn't be getting pictures together.

  • Replies 346
  • Views 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I don't know/didn't know either of these people. It seems like most people that I spoke with said the same thing about the husband and that that was he was a good person. However, from the outside looking in at that picture, the kids sure look happy. If my Mom shot my Dad in cold blood, rest assured, we wouldn't be getting pictures together.

 

Kids... So hard to figure, so many factors to consider.

I don't know/didn't know either of these people. It seems like most people that I spoke with said the same thing about the husband and that that was he was a good person. However, from the outside looking in at that picture, the kids sure look happy. If my Mom shot my Dad in cold blood, rest assured, we wouldn't be getting pictures together.

 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if Amy Bosley ever gets out, her kids aren't going to be as thrilled as the McCafferty children.

Kids... So hard to figure, so many factors to consider.

 

Agreed, however when you include the "Rest in the peace that you never gave us" right after her father was murdered, something was going on that was intense. We will never know if he was the cause, or if it was something else. The unknown would be very, very tough to deal with as a family member, I'm sure.

Agreed, however when you include the "Rest in the peace that you never gave us" right after her father was murdered, something was going on that was intense. We will never know if he was the cause, or if it was something else. The unknown would be very, very tough to deal with as a family member, I'm sure.

 

Where/when did the daughter say that?

The whole concept of "pardons" is odd and seemingly goes against what we stand for. We should never have a leader have absolute power. That's what this is.

I said to the same thing to someone when I first heard this news. How did this come about? It's very odd and I don't understand why it's allowed. I know this has been going on for a while.

Edited by HammerTime

Where/when did the daughter say that?

 

Shortly after the incident; posted on MySpace.

I want to say they lived with Cheryl's parents but I'm not entirely sure. They have to be adults by now or at least the daughter is.

 

I am glad you think its ok to kill someone in cold blood, that blows me away. She killed her husband I understand abuse is bad but there are ways of getting out of an abusive relationship and in no way is it worth killing someone.

 

She should not get paroled at all, to me she is selfish she didn't think about how it would affect her children did she and I don't care what state of mind at the time if he was sleeping get up and leave, she knew exactly what she was doing, she waited for him to fall asleep. Premeditated if you ask me.

I am glad you think its ok to kill someone in cold blood, that blows me away. She killed her husband I understand abuse is bad but there are ways of getting out of an abusive relationship and in no way is it worth killing someone.

 

She should not get paroled at all, to me she is selfish she didn't think about how it would affect her children did she and I don't care what state of mind at the time if he was sleeping get up and leave, she knew exactly what she was doing, she waited for him to fall asleep. Premeditated if you ask me.

 

Where did you see this anywhere in this thread ? I don't believe anyone argued that it was "ok", but that we don't know the entire story and lots of speculation.

 

As has been previously stated, it's always easy to sit on the outside and say she should have done this or that, but no one knows what goes on behind closed doors or what the conditions were.

 

As for premeditated, sure, I think that's a forgone conclusion, she admitted that she waited for him to go to sleep, so premeditation is easy. Causality is the bigger issue and what culpability each party had.

 

As for what she did or didn't think as it related to the children, I strongly suspect she considered the children first and her own well being (freedom) second.

I don't think murder is ok, but I do question why we would only have one definition of "self defense" and what parameters constitute self defense.

 

You reference that she had a good job and I assume the "she had options to leave" are related to that statement. I think that's way too easy, armchair quarterback talk. I would be willing to bet you have had very little contact or interaction with abused spouses based on this.

 

As for not serving near enough time, the system is pretty clear on the release formulas. She did 50% of her sentance and that's more than some do.

 

And you are correct, while she is a citizen of the US, she should be treated as such...she will now be treated, not as a convicted felon, but as a citizen who has done her time and is free once again. This is the system we have in the US, sometimes people think it works, sometimes people think it doesn't, the system does not apply emotion to the outcome

 

I agree with you and Cat way more often than not on BGP, but we could not be more apart on this one. We could have 1,000 definitions of self defense and NONE of them would include shooting someone in the head when they are sleeping. He was no threat at that time and it proves pre-meditation. I am just shocked ANYONE could even possibly consider this in the realm of self-defense.

I agree with you and Cat way more often than not on BGP, but we could not be more apart on this one. We could have 1,000 definitions of self defense and NONE of them would include shooting someone in the head when they are sleeping. He was no threat at that time and it proves pre-meditation. I am just shocked ANYONE could even possibly consider this in the realm of self-defense.

 

This is where we differ, but I certainly respect your position. I'm not saying it was right or agreeing with the choice, I'm saying there are factors we cannot account for that lead to the finality.

Cheryl McCafferty: 'Horrific end to tortuous night'

 

Cheryl McCafferty calls killing her husband a "horrific end to a tortuous night." She vows to help prevent other domestic violence victims and says she's given back to society while imprisoned.

 

Seeking a governor's pardon, a Northern Kentucky woman described the night that she killed her husband as "the horrific end to a tortuous night."

 

Cheryl McCafferty, convicted of manslaughter in March 2009, outlined what led to her firing the deadly bullet into her husband Robert "Bob" McCafferty's forehead, and more, in an application for a pardon.

 

"At 8:10 a.m. on June 25, 2007, I frantically called 911 for help and cried: 'I shot him. He put a gun in my mouth and told me to kill myself or he would kill the kids,' " McCafferty wrote earlier this year to then-Gov. Steve Beshear.

 

Her words and those of her attorney were released to The Enquirer in response to a public records request to the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives on Tuesday.

 

McCafferty, 51, was among 197 convicted criminals Beshear pardoned Dec. 6, his last night as governor. He said 10 of those, including McCafferty, were victims of domestic abuse.

 

A day after she was sentenced to 18 years in prison, McCafferty waived her right to all appeals in an agreement that included having the judge designate her a victim of domestic violence. According to the Kentucky Department of Corrections, McCafferty was expected to be released from prison in December 2016, after serving 71/2 years.

 

The slaying stunned Fort Thomas residents, who knew the McCaffertys as an upwardly mobile couple living with their two school-age children. She was an Enquirer advertising sales representative and he was a businessman.

 

The conviction was not for self-defense, which was one of the jury's options, Campbell County Commonweatlh's Attorney Michelle Snodgrass pointed out. She said there was never any evidence of a volatile relationship.

 

Snodgrass did not immediately respond Wednesday to requests for comment on the pardon applications.

 

But Cheryl McCafferty's post-conviction attorney Amy Robinson Staples presented to Beshear a description of the hidden rage and violence that she claimed Bob McCafferty displayed toward his wife and children.

 

One example:

 

"In May of 2007, Bob ... absolutely lost control, threw Cheryl in a closet and then proceeded to torment her with a knife and baseball bat," stated Robinson Staples of the Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy. During the episode, Staples wrote, Cheryl was beaten, pushed down, stroked with a knife and punched in the face.

 

Staples also described incidents during which Cheryl McCafferty said her husband was menacing toward their daughter, Molly. The application states that he "backhanded her in the face" when she was in seventh grade and wasn't where she was supposed to be standing when he picked her up from school one day. It states he threw a yearbook at her and threatened to harm her further one day, when she was watching a TV show, "America's Top Model" and the host "said a bad word."

 

And Staples wrote out in detail what Cheryl McCafferty said happened between the couple in the hours before her husband was shot in their bed.

 

" 'You know you have to die; your choice. You are either going to kill yourself, or I'm going to kill the kids, and you are going to want to die. It's your choice.' " Staples wrote, stating they were the last words that Robert McCafferty shouted to his wife "over and over ... while sitting on top of her holding a gun to her mouth, her temple, and her side."

 

heryl McCafferty had been to a divorce attorney, said Staples, and her husband reacted out of rage when found the business card in her belongings.

 

Bob McCafferty's family and Snodgrass, the prosecutor, were angry with the governor's pardon: neither had been informed of, let alone consulted with, before the pardon was made public.

 

Cheryl McCafferty said her time in prison has led her to come to terms with killing another human being.

 

"I ache for the pain and loss that this tragedy has caused and I desperately wish that the horrors could be undone," McCafferty's wrote in the statement. "Sadly, they can't, but since I lived many years of my life as a victim of domestic violence, I can be a strong advocate for other women and children, in situations like mine."

 

She vowed to help others through the Women's Crisis Center of Northern Kentucky, "so that similar tragedies can be prevented."

 

And she told Beshear that while locked up, she's taken "every opportunity to heal."

 

Staples said that McCafferty had a welcoming family awaiting her in Erlanger.

 

A day after the pardon, Beshear would not comment specifically about his decision regarding Cheryl McCafferty.

  • Author
Cheryl McCafferty: 'Horrific end to tortuous night'

 

Cheryl McCafferty calls killing her husband a "horrific end to a tortuous night." She vows to help prevent other domestic violence victims and says she's given back to society while imprisoned.

 

Seeking a governor's pardon, a Northern Kentucky woman described the night that she killed her husband as "the horrific end to a tortuous night."

 

Cheryl McCafferty, convicted of manslaughter in March 2009, outlined what led to her firing the deadly bullet into her husband Robert "Bob" McCafferty's forehead, and more, in an application for a pardon.

 

"At 8:10 a.m. on June 25, 2007, I frantically called 911 for help and cried: 'I shot him. He put a gun in my mouth and told me to kill myself or he would kill the kids,' " McCafferty wrote earlier this year to then-Gov. Steve Beshear.

 

Her words and those of her attorney were released to The Enquirer in response to a public records request to the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives on Tuesday.

 

McCafferty, 51, was among 197 convicted criminals Beshear pardoned Dec. 6, his last night as governor. He said 10 of those, including McCafferty, were victims of domestic abuse.

 

A day after she was sentenced to 18 years in prison, McCafferty waived her right to all appeals in an agreement that included having the judge designate her a victim of domestic violence. According to the Kentucky Department of Corrections, McCafferty was expected to be released from prison in December 2016, after serving 71/2 years.

 

The slaying stunned Fort Thomas residents, who knew the McCaffertys as an upwardly mobile couple living with their two school-age children. She was an Enquirer advertising sales representative and he was a businessman.

 

The conviction was not for self-defense, which was one of the jury's options, Campbell County Commonweatlh's Attorney Michelle Snodgrass pointed out. She said there was never any evidence of a volatile relationship.

 

Snodgrass did not immediately respond Wednesday to requests for comment on the pardon applications.

 

But Cheryl McCafferty's post-conviction attorney Amy Robinson Staples presented to Beshear a description of the hidden rage and violence that she claimed Bob McCafferty displayed toward his wife and children.

 

One example:

 

"In May of 2007, Bob ... absolutely lost control, threw Cheryl in a closet and then proceeded to torment her with a knife and baseball bat," stated Robinson Staples of the Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy. During the episode, Staples wrote, Cheryl was beaten, pushed down, stroked with a knife and punched in the face.

 

Staples also described incidents during which Cheryl McCafferty said her husband was menacing toward their daughter, Molly. The application states that he "backhanded her in the face" when she was in seventh grade and wasn't where she was supposed to be standing when he picked her up from school one day. It states he threw a yearbook at her and threatened to harm her further one day, when she was watching a TV show, "America's Top Model" and the host "said a bad word."

 

And Staples wrote out in detail what Cheryl McCafferty said happened between the couple in the hours before her husband was shot in their bed.

 

" 'You know you have to die; your choice. You are either going to kill yourself, or I'm going to kill the kids, and you are going to want to die. It's your choice.' " Staples wrote, stating they were the last words that Robert McCafferty shouted to his wife "over and over ... while sitting on top of her holding a gun to her mouth, her temple, and her side."

 

heryl McCafferty had been to a divorce attorney, said Staples, and her husband reacted out of rage when found the business card in her belongings.

 

Bob McCafferty's family and Snodgrass, the prosecutor, were angry with the governor's pardon: neither had been informed of, let alone consulted with, before the pardon was made public.

 

Cheryl McCafferty said her time in prison has led her to come to terms with killing another human being.

 

"I ache for the pain and loss that this tragedy has caused and I desperately wish that the horrors could be undone," McCafferty's wrote in the statement. "Sadly, they can't, but since I lived many years of my life as a victim of domestic violence, I can be a strong advocate for other women and children, in situations like mine."

 

She vowed to help others through the Women's Crisis Center of Northern Kentucky, "so that similar tragedies can be prevented."

 

And she told Beshear that while locked up, she's taken "every opportunity to heal."

 

Staples said that McCafferty had a welcoming family awaiting her in Erlanger.

 

A day after the pardon, Beshear would not comment specifically about his decision regarding Cheryl McCafferty.

 

This article doesn't tell me anything other than it was cold blooded murder. And I sure as heck wouldn't let her near the Women's Crisis Center.

This article doesn't tell me anything other than it was cold blooded murder. And I sure as heck wouldn't let her near the Women's Crisis Center.

 

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I think she would be a tremendous asset to any women's crisis center.

  • Author
We will have to agree to disagree on this. I think she would be a tremendous asset to any women's crisis center.

 

The more I read about her the more full of it I think she is...

 

We don't need anyone like that near victims of domestic violence, we need to leave the therapy and help to the professionals, not murdering ex-cons adding a new chapter to their crime.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.