10mm round

Bert

• 2 months later...
Some older Delta Elites ones had frame issues, so I would by a newer gun if possible. You should be able to get a new one for under $1100 at a local gun store. MSRP is $1099 I think or around there..

I have read that too and many have said that because of Delta Elites having issues, many 10mm round makers have backed off on the power so if you happen the buy ammunition from those makers, you may not be getting the "full" 10mm affect, instead something closer to the traditional .40S&W. It sounds like the dedicated 10mm shooters reload their own so that they can dial in exactly how powerful they want their shots ie on the lighter side for target practice, in the middle for home defense and full power if you are in the woods and you come across a bear who charges.

The Glock G20 is what I would go with if I was you unless you have really small hands. It is under $700 usually plus you can get the Lone Wolf conversion for it and shoot .40 out of it. If you don't like it you can get rid of it pretty fast without too much of a loss...or maybe break even.

I agree. In regards to the Delta Elites having issues with the frames, sounds like Glock built their frames VERY solid and people are having no trouble at all. Since I already have a .40 Glock and the 10mm Glocks can be converted to .40, it would seem to be a no brainer to go with Glock. Not sure if I would get the full sized Glock 20 or the sub compact 29. The sub compact 29's can hold ten rounds so that would probably make a good concealed carry gun.

Bert, I've never compared the price or availability of ammo, have you?

Ammunition seems to be becoming more available lately. If I recall, the price was a little higher than .45 ACP but not much.

Lots of debate on the gun forums about this subject. I have a .40s&w platform. It gets my vote if looking for self defense. Want a cool gun to talk about and maybe take with you if going to the Rockies where you might run across a grizzly...the 10mm in a hot load probably gets the vote.

LOT more options for the .40s&w (platforms, loads, etc.), and remember, the .40 round is a shortened version of the 10mm, so it fills a gap that the 10mm wasn't filling very well. Plus, even when ammo was readily available, the 10mm cartridge can be hard to find and is much more expensive. Heck, the .40 is expensive enough to shoot as it is.

.40s&w to me is the way to go as 99.99% of us will never have need of what the 10mm has to offer. Take into account cost and limited availability of platforms, then to me there's no question. Now, if you really get into it and start hand loading and can control a lot of the cost and get inventive with your loads, then you might have more room for debate.

LOT more options for the .40s&w (platforms, loads, etc.), and remember, the .40 round is a shortened version of the 10mm, so it fills a gap that the 10mm wasn't filling very well. Plus, even when ammo was readily available, the 10mm cartridge can be hard to find and is much more expensive. Heck, the .40 is expensive enough to shoot as it is.

.40s&w to me is the way to go as 99.99% of us will never have need of what the 10mm has to offer. Take into account cost and limited availability of platforms, then to me there's no question. Now, if you really get into it and start hand loading and can control a lot of the cost and get inventive with your loads, then you might have more room for debate.

Some peope argue that the .40 is too snappy and that if you need more than 9mm, go past .40 to .45 ACP. I have never had trouble with my .40 but that could be because I have not shot much in 9mm and have never shot .45 ACP to compare to. Maybe if I shot one of those rounds, I would be able to reacquire my target much faster?? Not sure. When I chose my gun, I went with .40 because I wanted a little more power than 9mm but (at that time) it seemed .40 ammunition was much easier to find in my neck of the woods compared to .45 and also, since I know I wanted a Glock, the .40 caliber firearms are much more common than .45 so I figured holsters, and other accessories would be much easier to find.

My experience has been, the people who have and shoot .45's have for the most part a 1911 style firearm and have them basically, well, because they just like the 1911 .45's. They have been around forever, there's lots of cool makers/styles out there, you can get "low end" models for about $500.00, and the ceilings the limit for the custom models. And guys love to pull them out at the range and show them off...lets face it, they're cool looking. For self or home defense or for a ccw, it wouldn't be my first or second choice (full disclosure, I don't have one, but if money was no object would probably have a nice custom Costa Recon or similar custom job, JUST to have one). Again, it's much more expensive to shoot as well.

As far as snappy, my .40s&w actually is less snappy and shoots smother than my 9mm. But that has a little bit to do with the platform, it's a pretty hefty gun which helps keep the felt recoil down, but it's not something you would want to carry or try to conceal, strictly a vehicle or home gun.

...lets face it, they're cool looking. For self or home defense or for a ccw, it wouldn't be my first or second choice (full disclosure, I don't have one, but if money was no object would probably have a nice custom Costa Recon or similar custom job, JUST to have one). Again, it's much more expensive to shoot as well.

Same here. I most likely will get a 1911 someday because they are great guns for shooting at the range but for home defense, I think I will stick with my Glock. I actually like that they don't have an external safety. Have read numerous reports of people who in a state of fear, adrenaline rush and just waking up, actually fumble the simple task of their thumb hitting the safety. Sounds somewhat hard to believe but I guess you would have to be in that situation to understand. With a Glock it is point and shoot.

I also like that 15 rounds a Glock will hold. I know some will say, aim before you shoot but I would guess accuracy is affected also when being awaken in the middle of the night. Also, if you watch the videos of someone shooting an armed robber at convenience stores, it is amazing how often it takes several shots to incapacitate the robber. Between missed shots and the possiblity of more than one burgular coming in your home, you may need all 15 rounds. A police officer on another board I read once stated an officers side arm is to give him time and cover so he can get his long gun which has much more ability to incapacitate a bad guy.

As far as snappy, my .40s&w actually is less snappy and shoots smother than my 9mm. But that has a little bit to do with the platform, it's a pretty hefty gun which helps keep the felt recoil down, but it's not something you would want to carry or try to conceal, strictly a vehicle or home gun.

Do you mind me asking what type it is?

Same here. I most likely will get a 1911 someday because they are great guns for shooting at the range but for home defense, I think I will stick with my Glock. I actually like that they don't have an external safety. Have read numerous reports of people who in a state of fear, adrenaline rush and just waking up, actually fumble the simple task of their thumb hitting the safety. Sounds somewhat hard to believe but I guess you would have to be in that situation to understand. With a Glock it is point and shoot.

I also like that 15 rounds a Glock will hold. I know some will say, aim before you shoot but I would guess accuracy is affected also when being awaken in the middle of the night. Also, if you watch the videos of someone shooting an armed robber at convenience stores, it is amazing how often it takes several shots to incapacitate the robber. Between missed shots and the possiblity of more than one burgular coming in your home, you may need all 15 rounds. A police officer on another board I read once stated an officers side arm is to give him time and cover so he can get his long gun which has much more ability to incapacitate a bad guy.

Do you mind me asking what type it is?

I will tell you...but don't laugh because this particular gun maker is laughed at by some...and completely reviled by the "gun snob" crowd.

My .40s&w platform is the Hi-Point .40 JCP. I had a S&W 9mm and wanted a .40 but didn't want to spend much to have one. Bought it brand new at Bud's in Lexington for under $170.00. Looks like a brick (but it grows on you), heavy as a brinks vault (which I like), but shoots smooth as butter and accurate as well. I've had no problems with it and actually prefer it over my S&W9mm, it just costs more to shoot so can't shoot it as much. And haven't shot anything lately with the shortage of ammo on the shelves.

I think Hi-Point still gets knocked for a deserved reputation they had years ago, but isn't nearly as deserved today. They also have a pretty vocal fan base now that touts the gun with a Hi-Point forum that I visit from time to time with some really good info on the different guns Hi-Point makes. They are pretty easy to work on, and there is a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty on the gun. If all you want/need it a gun that shoot straight when you pull the trigger, then it's something worth looking at.

One thing to add. When I first got it I got a box of some cheap steel cased Tula Russian ammo. The gun didn't like it much at first, but then a lot of other guns don't either, and had a few ftf with it. After cleaning the gun, which I didn't do before shooting it out of the box, it didn't have any issues with the steel cased ammo and shot it, but I would stick with quality brass ammo. The Tula stuff is cheap, but it's dirty, hard on the gun and very inconsistent.

Edited by BigVMan23