Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Calipari have stuck with Goodwin at the PG position?

Featured Replies

A guy at work and I were discussing this last week. I feel like for the long-term success of the team, UK would have been best served to allow Goodwin to develop in to as good of a PG as he could of become. Given that he had never played it before, I thought he did ok running the point in his short stint. With how the line-up was shaken up on Saturday, I would not be shocked to see him at the point a lot more for the remainder of the season.

He'd be much better off if he'd just teach Goodwin how to jump stop.

A guy at work and I were discussing this last week. I feel like for the long-term success of the team, UK would have been best served to allow Goodwin to develop in to as good of a PG as he could of become. Given that he had never played it before, I thought he did ok running the point in his short stint. With how the line-up was shaken up on Saturday, I would not be shocked to see him at the point a lot more for the remainder of the season.

 

Goodwin can't even play his own position. He's the worst shooting "shooting guard" I've ever seen. 24% from 3 and 65% from the line. He's also averaging over 3 turnovers per game without playing point. That's almost double what Harrow is giving up.

It's so hard to say right now what will/would have worked with this team.

  • Author
It's so hard to say right now what will/would have worked with this team.

 

It is all a moot point now because of the Noel injury, but I thought Goodwin showed positive steps learning the point at the start of the season. I thought it made Goodwin be more unselfish and not look to drive the ball nearly as much. He is still leading the team in assists and recorded one game 9 assists and others with over 5. To me Cal's offense revolves a lot upon a PG that can create. Harrow is not that guy. I am thinking more along the lines of how Tyreke Evans developed through his season. Not saying Goodwin is of the same caliber, just food for thought.

I think that as bad as Harrow is he might have been a better choice....but hindsight............

No way. Goodwin didn't want to learn the PG position. He isn't a pass first player so I think it would have been worse than Harrow.

  • Author
No way. Goodwin didn't want to learn the PG position. He isn't a pass first player so I think it would have been worse than Harrow.
I thought he was passing it well when he was running the point.

I don't think it really would have mattered.

He'd be much better off if he'd just teach Goodwin how to jump stop.

Amen to that!

Absolutely. And I think that's what we might see the last few games. Goodwin is erratic, and a lot of the times is the most unwatchable player in the world. However, he can create. Having the ball in Goodwin's hands gives him the opportunity to break people down. Harrow can't do that. Harrow doesn't create easy shots for anyone, and he doesn't get into the middle of the lane.

 

Goodwin has the ability to be a playmaker. Harrow can just facilitate. That doesn't work in this offense.

Attn: From the Lexington Police Dept.. - A. Goodwin has been pulled over and fined by the Lexington Police. Seems that he has several unpaid fines for walking/running through town running over citizens for no reason, has ignored all stop signs and shows no signs of remorse. :D

A guy at work and I were discussing this last week. I feel like for the long-term success of the team, UK would have been best served to allow Goodwin to develop in to as good of a PG as he could of become. Given that he had never played it before, I thought he did ok running the point in his short stint. With how the line-up was shaken up on Saturday, I would not be shocked to see him at the point a lot more for the remainder of the season.

 

I believe we are about to find out. I have heard Goodwin has been working in practice at point guard and that Harrow is out of the lineup. We will see tonight.

 

To answer the question, yes I believe UK would have been better with Goodwin at PG, not because Goodwin is great at PG, but because Harrow is bad. I will say it again and have been saying it since early in the season - Harrow is the weakest player mentally and physically I have ever seen at UK. At this point in the season, I move Goodwin to PG, start Mays, let Polson be first off the bench and tell Harrow he will get some minutes and it is up to him to prove he is worth keeping on the court. I would try to play him at the 2 guard as he can shoot and tell him to focus on being an offensive spark when he enters the game.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.